DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mysterious Drone Swarms in Colorado

This is actually kind of embarrassing to Americans in general. I can't believe this is getting so much news attention that they've opened a federal investigation into this AFTER clearly stating that the operators weren't breaking any laws.

I purchased my first drone December 1, 2019 for this exact reason - I thought the swarm concept could be beneficial for a host of reasons (temporary cell phone towers after a wide spread disaster, for example.) After purchasing and disassembling a few different drones, I bought a frame and set out building my first one. I'm almost finished, and intend to build them as fast as my finances allow - probably a dozen or so 2 ft drones by the summer. I have a particular idea of what I'd like to do with them, but the last thing I'd want to do is broadcast it to Jim Bob and Ellie Mae just because they're scared of a few lights in the sky. Suddenly your idea is all over the news, some well financed company files a patent and you're left standing with one thumb on your controller and the other up your butt.

On Yahoo! today they had an article on it, and of course they had to show a picture of a DJI Phantom drone, even though the article states it was a 6' WINGED drone.

Maybe next Halloween I'll dress up as a giant Phantom 4 and carry around a recording of the loud buzzing it makes, since that's what the newspapers are scaring people to believe nowadays

Watched a news program where they interviewed a drone lawyer (who needed a haircut bad)... say it was illegal to shoot down a drone... I actually question that... it depends.... and then this expert never mentioned that the drones themselves were probably illegal....

Watched a news program where they interviewed a drone lawyer (who needed a haircut bad)... say it was illegal to shoot down a drone... I actually question that... it depends.... and then this expert never mentioned that the drones themselves were probably illegal....

It doesn't depend on anything - UAVs are classified as aircraft and it is a federal offense to shoot them, irrespective of whether the flight itself is lawful.

My new costume, scariest thing I've seen
View attachment 89525

I like your costume. Good to see such young members on here, definitely a family activity! My daughter was going to be a drone also, but I think she was just saying it to tease me I thinkas she decided to go as a warrior princess instead.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Roy Rogers
With cameras everywhere, why are there so few pictures and videos of these drones?

I watched the videos that are available. Very unconvincing. Single lights in the sky and the guy and his girlfriend chasing what they thought were drones for 15 miles at speeds exceeding 70mph. Why were the drones following the highway? Sounds like they were chasing bright stars or the planet Venus.

Where are the videos of fleets of "up to 30" drones flying in specific patterns?

Sounds like a few people have been flying their small hobby type drones at night, millions have been sold and thousands have been received as Christmas presents this year alone, and the reports of large numbers are due to people's imagination? And how do they know how high they are flying? It's almost impossible to judge the height of a blinking light at night.

This is the first I’m hearing about it but it’s very interesting. Not a lot of videos on it surprisingly.

Saw a flock of them one night here in southeast Iowa last year. Didn't recognize it as a flock of drones at first, just a dead silent flying "V" overhead with lights, moving quickly across the sky. It was weird to see the lighted "V", without any other obstruction of the night sky than the lights. Probably about 30 - 40 of them in the flock and at the end, they headed towards our little regional airport, less than 1/2 mile away.
There was a science fiction series on TV, awhile back, and the name of the series was "V." Maybe they're coming back! LOL

Reactions: Rangerider
Over 30 Drones Spotted in 5 Counties over 2 States stayed in the air for over 3 Hours and up to 6' A crossed (bologna) I don't believe that for a min . Can any one reminded me what the faa announced ? Remote I.D. ? gonna put all Hobbyist in a 400ft cage and make us pay a subscription fee to be tracked. So Amazon ,UPS and others can fly trinkets to peoples houses.

Fake news to help force an agenda . This is just how I feel about news like this , and if we sit by quietly not speaking out we will all be in UAV Fields filming grass.
I totally agree. This is a Psy-Op by the FAA, Air Force and some corporation to reinforce the need for more control of drones and build support for their Draconian NPRM reg to destroy the recreational drone community!

In other news, stores in the region are reporting record sales of aluminum foil. "We can't order it fast enough to keep it in stock," said one store manager. "Most fellas around here have enough hats it takes a whole roll to triple-line them all. The gals, too."

?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627