DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filters and Still Photos

Z06Aggie

Reactions
Apologies if this has been covered before, I had no luck in the search function......

My question is simple, do ND filters help at all with still photos, or are they mainly useful for video only?

I have a set of PolarPros that I use when taking stills, I'm just not really sure if they accomplish much of anything, since I can completely change exposure setting in post editing.

If the answer is no, should I look into using a different type of filter such as a polarizer to help my photos "pop"? FYI, shooting in SE Texas where it is super sunny most of the time.

Thanks!

The short answer is No. But if you're up shooting video with the ND already installed and you want to shoot some stills, then it doesn't hurt either. You just have to compensate for it in your exposure and SS settings. Polarizing filter will help if you're shooting something that's reflecting a lot of light - over a lake for example. If you want to shoot sky shots and have the blue sky be really blue and the clouds stand out use a UV filter.

I am in Queensland, Australia. I use ND16 and ND32 all the time here for my photos.
It is so bright in summer that if I dont use the ND's my highlights blow out.
I also use the ND32 for long exposure to get a slight milky look of water running.

Reactions: frogbmth
ABSOLUTELY ND filters help still shots! Anyone who says "no" isn't a photographer obviously. I use ND filters very frequently for still shots to slow down shutter speeds. It is common to do this to create the effect on moving water (Waves and waterfalls and river rapids) known as "silking". Very, very common.

Polarizers, if you're shooting 90 degrees to the sun, will give you a darker blue in the sky. You can get some very nice rich skies that way. ND isn't going to do that for you. They work like sunglasses in that they lower the amount of light entering the camera, except the do this without changing the colors in any way.

Here's why it all works - and just skip this if you already know this...I'm not trying to be pedantic...but someone might want to know:

When you spin the exposure dial, you're changing the EV - which is YOUR REQUESTED exposure. You're effectively telling the Mavic how light or dark you want the image to be. From that point, the Mavic is going to do what it can to only let that amount of light hit the sensor. There are three things in play, the amount of light that's around, the size of the opening in the lens (called the Aperture), and the amount of time the sensor is exposed to the light (called the Shutter Speed). The Mavic has no control over how much light is out there, but it can control the other two (aperture and shutter speed). These two are inversely proportional, so if you double the length of time the sensor is exposed to the light, you need to halve the size of the opening in order to get the same exposure. Because of this, there are multiple "Correct" exposures. The Mavic, in Auto mode chooses one combination of both of these settings based common "normal" settings and tries to match the EV you set. That may be fine for a lot of people, but there are creative effects that can be had by choosing other balances between these.

On a plain Mavic with no accessories, the only thing we can set is the shutter speed (on other drones you can set both Speed and Aperture). The Mavic wants to expose the image to match the EV you requested. If you set the shutter speed, the Mavic will automatically set the aperture to be the right size to let in the amount of light to match your requested EV during the duration of the exposure. IF IT CAN. The problem that we face is that there is a maximum and minimum aperture size. If you pick a shutter speed that too fast, and the Mavic cannot open the aperture big enough to let in enough light, your picture will be underexposed and your shadow areas will black up. Conversely, if you decrease your shutter speed (like if you want water to blur a little), but the Mavic cannot close down the lens opening enough to limit the amount of light that gets in, too much light hits your sensor and your image will be overexposed and your light areas will wash out.

What an ND filter does for you, is control the third element of exposure...you're setting shutter speed, the Mavic is choosing the aperture...the third element is how much light is available. Normally, you're at the mercy of nature (how sunny is it?)...but with an ND filter, the amount of light that's available to the sensor is reduced...like wearing sunglasses. With less light to deal with, the Mavic can support slower shutter speeds within the limits of the aperture for a given exposure (EV). This lets you get creative by either choosing slower shutter speeds (which blurs and softens), or forcing shallower depth of field (the wider the opening of the lens, the less range that's in focus) by slowing your shutter speed and forcing the Mavic to choose a wider aperture to compensate.

So ND filters by themselves do not impact the image...but they allow the mavic to be set with slower shutter speeds, which does impact the image in both softness and depth of field.

Sorry if that's "TM already-known I" for most of the folks out there...Hope it's interesting to someone.

Last edited:
Polarizers, if you're shooting 90 degrees to the sun, will give you a darker blue in the sky. You can get some very nice rich skies that way. ND isn't going to do that for you. They work like sunglasses in that they lower the amount of light entering the camera, except the do this without changing the colors in any way.

Here's why it all works - and just skip this if you already know this...I'm not trying to be pedantic...but someone might want to know:

When you spin the exposure dial, you're changing the EV - which is YOUR REQUESTED exposure. You're effectively telling the Mavic how light or dark you want the image to be. From that point, the Mavic is going to do what it can to only let that amount of light hit the sensor. There are three things in play, the amount of light that's around, the size of the opening in the lens (called the Aperture), and the amount of time the sensor is exposed to the light (called the Shutter Speed). The Mavic has no control over how much light is out there, but it can control the other two (aperture and shutter speed). These two are inversely proportional, so if you double the length of time the sensor is exposed to the light, you need to halve the size of the opening in order to get the same exposure. Because of this, there are multiple "Correct" exposures. The Mavic, in Auto mode chooses both of these settings based common "normal" settings and tries to match the EV you set. That may be fine for a lot of people, but there are creative effects that can be had by choosing other balances between these.

On a plain Mavic with no accessories, the only thing we can set is the shutter speed (on other drones you can set both Speed and Aperture). The Mavic wants to expose the image to match the EV you requested. If you set the shutter speed, the Mavic will automatically set the aperture to be the right size to let in the amount of light to match your requested EV during the duration of the exposure. IF IT CAN. The problem that we face is that there is a maximum and minimum aperture size. If you pick a shutter speed that too fast, and the Mavic cannot open the aperture big enough to let in enough light, your picture will be underexposed and your shadow areas will black up. Conversely, if you decrease your shutter speed (like if you want water to blur a little), but the Mavic cannot close down the lens opening enough to limit the amount of light that gets in, too much light hits your sensor and your image will be overexposed and your light areas will wash out.

What an ND filter does for you, is control the third element of exposure...you're setting shutter speed, the Mavic is choosing the aperture...the third element is how much light is available. Normally, you're at the mercy of nature (how sunny is it?)...but with an ND filter, the amount of light that's available to the sensor is reduced...like wearing sunglasses. With less light to deal with, the Mavic can support slower shutter speeds within the limits of the aperture for a given exposure (EV). This lets you get creative by either choosing slower shutter speeds (which blurs and softens), or forcing shallower depth of field (the wider the opening of the lens, the less range that's in focus) by slowing your shutter speed and forcing the Mavic to choose a wider aperture to compensate.

So ND filters by themselves do not impact the image...but they allow the mavic to be set with slower shutter speeds, which does impact the image in both softness and depth of field.

Sorry if that's "TM already-known I" for most of the folks out there...Hope it's interesting to someone.

Very interesting ! Thanks

I have the PolarPro Cinema series six pack that I use all the time for stills, mainly because I’m using flipping back and forth between video. Living in Florida it’s almost a necessity. The polarization really helps add some saturation, and is really good for taking sunset/sunrise pics.

Reactions: Stivako and SYC12
The Mavic has no control over how much light is out there, but it can control the other two (aperture and shutter speed).

The Mavic, in Auto mode chooses one combination of both of these settings based common "normal" settings and tries to match the EV you set.

On a plain Mavic with no accessories, the only thing we can set is the shutter speed (on other drones you can set both Speed and Aperture). The Mavic wants to expose the image to match the EV you requested. If you set the shutter speed, the Mavic will automatically set the aperture to be the right size to let in the amount of light to match your requested EV during the duration of the exposure. IF IT CAN. The problem that we face is that there is a maximum and minimum aperture size. If you pick a shutter speed that too fast, and the Mavic cannot open the aperture big enough to let in enough light, your picture will be underexposed and your shadow areas will black up.

What an ND filter does for you, is control the third element of exposure...you're setting shutter speed, the Mavic is choosing the aperture...the third element is how much light is available.

Actually, from my understanding, the Mavic has a fixed aperture, and therefore it has no way to adjust this factor. You, and the Mavic, are stuck with the fixed aperture of the lens and it cannot be adjusted to compensate for changes in light levels. In essence, your depth-of-field is not really going to change.

One critical component of the calculation that you left out is ISO (the light sensitivity of the sensor). That is what the Mavic can adjust (other than shutter speed) in order to adjust for variable light levels. Back in the "old" days, when we used film (Kodachrome and regular film), we used to have to choose the ISO (or also called ASA) of the film when we put it in the camera. Many pro photographers carried around multiple cameras with different ISO films already loaded, in order to adjust the ISO for a particular shot.

With digital cameras, one simply needs to turn a dial in order to adjust the ISO. This is what the Mavic adjusts (in combination with shutter speed) in order to match the desired EV value, if that is modified by the user.

Aperture + Shutter Speed + ISO = Exposure

Actually, from my understanding, the Mavic has a fixed aperture, and therefore it has no way to adjust this factor. You, and the Mavic, are stuck with the fixed aperture of the lens and it cannot be adjusted to compensate for changes in light levels. In essence, your depth-of-field is not really going to change.

One critical component of the calculation that you left out is ISO (the light sensitivity of the sensor). That is what the Mavic can adjust (other than shutter speed) in order to adjust for variable light levels. Back in the "old" days, when we used film (Kodachrome and regular film), we used to have to choose the ISO (or also called ASA) of the film when we put it in the camera. Many pro photographers carried around multiple cameras with different ISO films already loaded, in order to adjust the ISO for a particular shot.

With digital cameras, one simply needs to turn a dial in order to adjust the ISO. This is what the Mavic adjusts (in combination with shutter speed) in order to match the desired EV value, if that is modified by the user.

[emoji106]Spot on. Thanks!

I actually didn't realize that about the Mavic camera. Then it's acting like a DSLR set on auto ISO. Everything will still be correct if you replace Aperture with ISO, except depth of field is therefore out of the question. Too bad, actually, that the camera doesn't have that flexibility as that does restrict the creative aspects of photography.

Depth-of-Field is controlled solely by the aperture of a lens. Without being able to control the aperture of the lens, we have no control over the Depth-of-Field. ISO and shutter speeds do nothing for Depth-of-Field. In photography the control of Depth-of-Field (called "Bokeh") is a very important aspect of almost all photography. We simply don't have that control with these cameras. Focus control can help, but only when subjects are fairly close to the camera. Don't confuse Bokeh control with focus control. Not the same.

Reactions: daisy-girl
Depth-of-Field is controlled solely by the aperture of a lens. Without being able to control the aperture of the lens, we have no control over the Depth-of-Field. ISO and shutter speeds do nothing for Depth-of-Field. In photography the control of Depth-of-Field (called "Bokeh") is a very important aspect of almost all photography. We simply don't have that control with these cameras. Focus control can help, but only when subjects are fairly close to the camera. Don't confuse Bokeh control with focus control. Not the same.
Yup..that's why I said dof is out of the question!

I've been told no but I've tried every setting possible without filters and it's just better and easier with filters, deeper more vibrant colours. Really brings the colours out in the sky at sunrise and sunset. Mine are ND and PL .

I do a lot of AEB 5 shot exposures and then merge with a HDR app in post. Of course the golden hours are the best time to do this and light is all ready getting low at this point. A darker the needed ND filter will margenly increase the exposure time for each shot. And the longer it takes the more likely the images are shifted with respect to each other and most HDR apps don’t deal with this well. Best to get the 5 shot expose done as quickly as possible.

ABSOLUTELY! ND filters help still shots! Anyone who says "no" isn't a photographer, obviously. I use ND filters very frequently for still shots to slow down shutter speeds. It is common to do this to create the effect on moving water (Waves and waterfalls and river rapids) known as "silking". Very, very common.
I just can't "Like" this reply enough! My roots in photography go back to 4"x5" plate cameras, and I've always had ND filters in my kit. I'm d*** sure not giving them up just because my camera is airborne!

I use the PolarPro filters for both still and videos and they definitely make a difference. Try this. Find a day and a location where you can put on one filter, launch your drone and take it not to far away (maybe 100' or 30 meters) and not too high and shoot a picture of something that is not moving like a building. Try to position your drone over a fixed object such as a park bench so that you can attempt to return the drone to the same location. When the first photo is taken immediately land the drone, put on the next filter and send the drone back to the same location (or as close as possible) and then take the same photo again. I did this 6 times, once with each filter, and then using Photoshop I pasted the left half of photo 1 with the right half of photo 2, etc and looked at the differences. You have to do this quickly because the sun is moving and changing the image ever so slightly. Also, make sure you don't take one photo with sun and the next with clouds. But if you can do this you will then see the differences that each filter makes and that will make you a much more educated photographer and you will be better able to use your filters in an effective manner. Hope this helps. I am in Mexico and do most of my shooting on the beach or over the water so I have a lot of sunlight and a lot of glare. Filters help immensely.

The only thing I would add here is that you have to remember that the picture quality on the Mavic is dramatically reduced by increasing the ISO. I try never to go over ISO 400 just because the noise increase makes the picture almost unusable.

Reactions: daisy-girl
This is all correct. The MP has a fixed aperture so your only options are adjusting ISO and shutter speed. If the MP or the object being photographed are moving at a pace faster than a walk then you will need to set shutter speed at 1/250 or higher to stop the action. Otherwise you will get blurring. Because the sensor in the MP is not of the quality that you find in decent compact digital cameras you will start to see grainy photos once ISO (known as ASA for those who grew up on film) is above 300 or so. However, if you use Adobe's Lightroom (for photos, not videos) you can adjust the luminescence to smooth out the grainy pictures. I shot night photos on New Year's eve with ISO at the max and shutter speed at 1/125 and 1/250 and got respectable photos considering the above limitations of the MP.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters