DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need suggestion for PC Video editing software

All the comments about Resolve are great, EXCEPT, I cannot get it to run on my Windows/10 computer. The GPU GTX760 appears to be dated. Despite constant GPU errors, I went so far as to create my first rough cut of my .mp4 video output but when I tried to refine it, I ran into more GPU errors - one after another. I've tried all the Yutube suggestions - I've installed new and old versions of Nvidia and Resolve with no success. If by a fluke, a combination works, it won't read what I've already completed. From what I read in this forum, Adobe seems to be my next stop. Life is too short to deal with Resolve and I can't afford a new workstation.
Try kdenlive. It's open source, free, and I've run it on dated hardware with the worst problem getting stuttering audio during editing (final audio comes out fine)

Reactions: RobertR
To anyone out there who is computer savvy ....could use your input into computer upgrade. To get Davinci Resolve to work, it appears I need a GPU upgrade. I'm currently running GEFORCE 760 with 2GB. It doesn't support studio version of s/w - only gaming. According to developers of Resolve, I need to run back level software (Resolve 16.5 or earlier) or upgrade my GPU. (that wouldn't accept the timeline I've already worked on). I wouldn't mind upgrading but with the current worldwide chipset cost, upgrades can get pricey. Does anyone know what a reasonable upgrade would be?

There are a lot of decent upgrades for not huge amounts of money. We have been in an inflationary cycle for 18 months so everything is more expensive than before COVID. But there are still deals out there.

If you want the best cheapest general upgrade for doing video in mind, particularly Davinci, the Mac Mini with the M1 chip is reputed to do a great job. I've owned a lot of Macs in the past but I'm not necessarily a Mac fan (though I used to be a Mac evangelist in the 90's).

I am very lucky to live near a good computer store that often has open box specials and refurbished units and scored there twice in the last two years. Just two weeks ago I upgraded my laptop on refurb that cost me $1124 and while it's got last years specs with a 4k OLED screen, an RTX 2060 GPU, 1 TB o storage and 32GB of ram. Nothing else comes close until the $2000 range.

FWIW, I saw two Lenovo Legion 5 laptops that would be ok for video editing for around $1300. The 17" and the 15" had the same spec and the same price, just different screens. Lenovo Legion 5 17" Laptop

Two years ago I got an open box Alienware desktop for $800 that normally sold for $1500. The store is Micro Center in Chicago and they seem to have an excellent selection of all kinds of computers. Micro Center

Surprised to see that Filmora got only 3 hits in this thread. I had used PP since I can't remember when (back in the CC days of no subscriptions), then forced into subscription which I put up with for 2 years. But since I only do editing in spurts I found the cost to be over the top. So I went on a hunt for something that I could make an initial investment and hit the ground running. My biggest requirement was support of eGPU (Macbook Pro with Sonnet eGPU housing an AMD Radeon). I found the free version of Resolve to have limited support with multiple GPUs, but Filmora ran with it perfectly. Once they added key frames and the stabilizer, it was a no-brainier. It is very intuitive to use, and they keep adding features as well.

Thumbs up to Wondershare Filmora!

(edit) Forgot to mention the lack of HEVC decoding and other features (see comparison chart ) in non-studio Resolve.

Last edited:
I'm a good photographer with a camera but not very good at Mavic 2 Pro video shots. Friends are asking me to shoot residential videos and I need simple editing software to cut out jerkiness (when I pan the wrong way and have to pan back). Anybody have a recommended software that runs on a PC?
I use Pinnacle Studio Ultimate 22 now 25 is available. I love it !

Why does everyone keep saying that Davinci Resolve has a "steep learning curve"????? It doesn't get steep at all until you get into Fusion, to do the real super-fancy Hollywood stuff. I found the basics as simple as they come.

Someone please tell me... What is so hard about opening a project, importing the media, dragging the media to a timeline, trimming the clips, reordering them adding titles and transitions and exporting rendering it??? It's just learning what the icons represent. The basics couldn't be more simple.

Color grading? In any program you have to know what you want as an end result. While Davinci has "nodes" they are nothing more than layers, just like in Photoshop. You can keep it extremely simple at first and do everything on a single node- and then learn how to add more nodes and complexity as you go along.
I'm glad you find Resolve so easy to use, unfortunately there are many who do not. Having used Premiere Pro primarily for the past few years, I found switching a bit more difficult. Probably due to just being used to one program over another.

I'm glad you find Resolve so easy to use, unfortunately there are many who do not. Having used Premiere Pro primarily for the past few years, I found switching a bit more difficult. Probably due to just being used to one program over another.
That was kind of my point. Start with what you can grow into. Once the methods are habituated with a different program you introduce another level of difficulty as what became intuitive in one program is completely foreign in the new one. This is why I recommend starting with the program you know you might want to stay with.

Learned on early versions of Pinnacle Studio, then went Premiere. After they started their subscription model, went back to Pinnacle up through ver 24. Pinnacle continued to give me stability issues, so I tried Resolve. Very satisfied with it.
With even a modest background in NLEs, and with the plethora of YT vids, the learning curve for Resolve is easily handled. I am not a professional and will never use all the powerful tools in the free version of Resolve 17.

This lady does a fairly balanced review of Resolve (v16) from the perspective of a Premiere devotee.
Switching to Davinci Resolve for 30 DAYS

I use Cyberlink PowerDirecror, but I might try Resolve. Especially if it’s free, LOL!!!
I downloaded it, and after trying it out, I can say, it’s a really nice program!
But I think I’ll stay with Cyberlink PowerDirector.
why? Because with my purchased version, I get a ton of built in special effects.
Resolve, while awesome, is limited.
If all you want is basic editing, great!
But if you want to get creative, you’re choices are limited with the free version.

I'm a good photographer with a camera but not very good at Mavic 2 Pro video shots. Friends are asking me to shoot residential videos and I need simple editing software to cut out jerkiness (when I pan the wrong way and have to pan back). Anybody have a recommended software that runs on a PC?
I was just steered to Davinci Resolve 17 and I love this guy for training...he starts with true beginners and doesn't talk so fast and gives good examples. Even has examples of DJI drone video color correction.

Reactions: Chicolabronse
  • Love
Reactions: vindibona1
While this has been discussed at length in other threads, IMO there is one (arguably) definitive answer: Davinci Resolve.
Its standard version is full featured, and miraculously it is FREE! Not a "free trial"... but free without restriction. While some will tell you they are intimidated by it, I assure you the basics are no more difficult to learn than ANY other video editing program. There are thousands of short, private tutorials on YouTube. And when you want to learn to do a specific thing, you can find it easily.

Trust me. I am new software avoidant, am of an older age so a bit slow learning and have tried other "simpler" video editing programs and actually found Davinci Resolve easier to wrap my head around and learn. Before July of last year I hadn't edited video since VHS days, but within 6 months I actually made some money editing someone else's video!

A lot of folks who have been getting their pockets picked by Adobe with Premier Pro have switched to Davinci Resolve- which (their $300 studio version) is used in many Hollywood productions. Here is a link to their page:

Davinci Resolve 17
Will this work on iOS?

Reactions: RGS2010
I can recommend you stay away from the product Corel Video Studio Pro. It slags your PC with spamware, even though you pay a pretty price for it. There are no warnings or installation methods that avoid loading all the 'freebies' it comes with. Dang near everything you try to do tells you you need to buy this or that or pops you into a browser store front to buy some add on product. Took me weeks to remove all the adware I could find, but still had things popping up from time to time. And a full uninstall still didn't get rid of some of the nuisance stuff they installed.

It was usable, and did what I needed to do, but I finally did a System Restore back to the day before installation to get the mess off my PC.
Goodness. I'm new to drones and video software editing. I am on a PC, and I don't want to pay for a monthly subscription to anything. After a lot of review, I purchased Corel Video Studio Pro. What a mistake. Yes, tons and tons of added on BS, and just, clunky. I am scanning all the posts trying to decipher what to use next. What did you ultimately decide on?

Goodness. I'm new to drones and video software editing. I am on a PC, and I don't want to pay for a monthly subscription to anything. After a lot of review, I purchased Corel Video Studio Pro. What a mistake. Yes, tons and tons of added on BS, and just, clunky. I am scanning all the posts trying to decipher what to use next. What did you ultimately decide on?
Download the latest DaVinci it's a workhorse of editing software and it's free. But it will take time to learn

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S