DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need suggestion for PC Video editing software

@Bryan L Gave you a lot of places to guide you to tweak the settings for your GPU. There is a lot of information there. While it might be included in the infor that Bryan gave, one easy thing you can try is within the Edit page, go to; PLAYBACK. Then check "Use Optimiaed Media if Available". Check "Use Proxy Media if Available". The go, in that menu, to "Timeline Proxy Mode". You will be given the option to do half resolution or quarter resolution in the playback. Also something that you can do in the timeline is right click on the clip and go down to the option of "Generate Optimized Media". That will do what it says it will do and having selected the ability to use optimized media in the Playback menu it will take some strain off your GPU. It is important to note that the playback resolution is independent of the rendering resolution, as long as you indicate the proper render resolution and frame rate in the settings when starting the project. You should even be able to change the resolution after you get started. You can even upscale previously rendered 1080p footage by re-rendering it in 4k, though obviously not as good as shooting in 4k.

As far as the audio goes, I'm not sure if this will help in your situation, but I was having issues with audio that I took with my iPhone. There is a program "SHUTTER ENCODER" Shutter Encoder Link that might help. I'm not sure if you can use it for audio files without video, but it's worth a try. It's a good utility to have anyway. If you have Reaper you might also try re-rendering the audio in reaper at a higher bit rate. I think Audacity, as noted by Bryan, could work too. Here are a list of the Shutter Encoder functions:

1629840156001.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryan L
I'll second Audacity for working with audio streams; and mention FFMPEG is also out there for doing stream conversion - though FFMPEG is itself a steep learning hill.

ps: I mentioned a couple apps above that cost money, one so others will know its problems upfront, the other as a cheap non-subscription app that has a simpler UI and learning curve than Resolve. Forewarned is forearmed or something like that: more info is never bad.

All the comments about Resolve are great, EXCEPT, I cannot get it to run on my Windows/10 computer. The GPU GTX760 appears to be dated. Despite constant GPU errors, I went so far as to create my first rough cut of my .mp4 video output but when I tried to refine it, I ran into more GPU errors - one after another. I've tried all the Yutube suggestions - I've installed new and old versions of Nvidia and Resolve with no success. If by a fluke, a combination works, it won't read what I've already completed. From what I read in this forum, Adobe seems to be my next stop. Life is too short to deal with Resolve and I can't afford a new workstation.

Reactions: skycam509
All the comments about Resolve are great, EXCEPT, I cannot get it to run on my Windows/10 computer. The GPU GTX760 appears to be dated. Despite constant GPU errors, I went so far as to create my first rough cut of my .mp4 video output but when I tried to refine it, I ran into more GPU errors - one after another. I've tried all the Yutube suggestions - I've installed new and old versions of Nvidia and Resolve with no success. If by a fluke, a combination works, it won't read what I've already completed. From what I read in this forum, Adobe seems to be my next stop. Life is too short to deal with Resolve and I can't afford a new workstation.
It is easy to understand your frustration. It might be important to note that the GTX 760 was made in 2013 and was a mid-rang GPU of the day. My Sony Vaio laptop, also made in 2013 won't even play back any of my drone videos for review in a standard player, let alone in an editor.

Frankly, I doubt that you will have more success with Premier Pro Adobe Premier Pro requirements but Premier Elements might be a little gentler on system requirements. I think that video editing is possibly the most system intense application you can put on your computer.

Good luck

Reactions: Drone_Pilot
Something that can break compatibility is the underlying drivers, not really the hardware itself. Some apps will break when things like your OpenGL isn't current; but the software should be reporting this. What do the error logs have to say?

As for mixing and matching, you should always bias towards newest/latest drivers for your hardware. Generally speaking, it is pretty rare for a vendor to somehow reduce compatibility with new drivers. The flip side is for apps, later versions will always expect better hardware. So latest drivers and oldest version of the app would be my starting point.

Also - if all you are trying to do is stitch two or more video files of the same stream together (combine those two 4GB files from one flight), you might have other options than full fledged video editors.

My vote is for Adobe Premiere Pro. Works well on a not-so-high spec PC. I also use Audacity to edit audio.

I know people love DaVinci but I have never found it that easy to use, Premiere Pro has better options for low res files to work with (proxy files) and my experience is that it's a lot less buggy. It 'aint perfect by any means but there are so many tutorials out there. Premiere elements is a bit something and nothing. Not a fan.

Only problem is it costs money. I tend to do nothing for a couple of months, then have a couple of weeks intense work so I'm on the monthly plan. About £30 per month.

The other program I got on well with is Filmora. Cheap to buy and works well plus loads of tutorials on youtube. I found myself wanting more, so it's Adobe for me.

In that case, I'd go with Adobe Premiere Elements at under $100 and NO subscription. I know people who produce very nice videos with that product. Pair that with Audacity for your audio.

My vote is for Adobe Premiere Pro. Works well on a not-so-high spec PC. I also use Audacity to edit audio.

I know people love DaVinci but I have never found it that easy to use, Premiere Pro has better options for low res files to work with (proxy files) and my experience is that it's a lot less buggy. It 'aint perfect by any means but there are so many tutorials out there. Premiere elements is a bit something and nothing. Not a fan.

Only problem is it costs money. I tend to do nothing for a couple of months, then have a couple of weeks intense work so I'm on the monthly plan. About £30 per month.

The other program I got on well with is Filmora. Cheap to buy and works well plus loads of tutorials on youtube. I found myself wanting more, so it's Adobe for me.
If you look at the GPU the OP has, Premier Pro won't work so well either with his current setup either. Premier Pro system requirements

If you didn't know, Davinci Resolve also can work in lower res proxy files with half or quarter resolution.
How much do you pay a month for Premier???? How long have you paid the toll? It seems like a pain to have to turn it on for a month, then turn it off... Ok... You save money. But you still get your pocket picked FOREVER even with intermittent use. A lot of folks have switched from Premier to Davinci. But those that have been reporting on the conversion really only complain that they have to be cerebral about how to do things for awhile. Similar to Pagemaker users moving to Quark Xpress in the old DTP days...then having to move back to InDesign. Metphorically it's no different than a 4 string bass player moving to a 5 string bass. Same music. Mostly same strings. But you gotta think about it until your brain gets it down. Little difference except video editing in is 100 times more complex.

Reactions: Rudiger and Bryan L
Adobe Premiere Elements: $60 US ... paid ONCE. No - it won't do half of what Premiere Pro or Davinci Resolve can do; but how many here are professional video editing experts merging 3D models with your own videos to create virtual content for streaming movies?

Since the OP is asking for "free" stuff, and I consider TTL a cost, $60 is almost free. lol.

ps: TTL ~ time-to-learn for those TLA averse folk, lol.

If you look at the GPU the OP has, Premier Pro won't work so well either with his current setup either. Premier Pro system requirements

If you didn't know, Davinci Resolve also can work in lower res proxy files with half or quarter resolution.
How much do you pay a month for Premier???? How long have you paid the toll? It seems like a pain to have to turn it on for a month, then turn it off... Ok... You save money. But you still get your pocket picked FOREVER even with intermittent use. A lot of folks have switched from Premier to Davinci. But those that have been reporting on the conversion really only complain that they have to be cerebral about how to do things for awhile. Similar to Pagemaker users moving to Quark Xpress in the old DTP days...then having to move back to InDesign. Metphorically it's no different than a 4 string bass player moving to a 5 string bass. Same music. Mostly same strings. But you gotta think about it until your brain gets it down. Little difference except video editing in is 100 times more complex.
Yes, I did know about the Proxy files, but they called it optimised media prior to V17?

Yes, it's a minor pain turning it on and off, but I have found it bearable. My son had a student licence at uni, and I was allowed to use it when he wasn't so I got into PP that way. So I'd rather stump up the cash for occasional use than go through a steep learning curve. I actually like the way PP works and the results it gives.

However, I did download Resolve 17 last night to give it another go. I haven't started principle photography on my next project yet so now is a good time to have a play. I get what you are saying re the cost aspect, and it all makes sense. I will give it a fair trial as I know the learning curve is a bit steep.

Adobe Premiere Pro is the king of video editing software, however it IS cost prohibitive for most, DaVinci Resolve is, as others have mentioned, free with a steep learning curve. There is plenty of YouTube help available for it. Another free editing package is Wondershare Filmora. It's Premiere-like in it's interface and fairly easy to learn.

Adobe Premiere Pro is the king of video editing software, however it IS cost prohibitive for most, DaVinci Resolve is, as others have mentioned, free with a steep learning curve. There is plenty of YouTube help available for it. Another free editing package is Wondershare Filmora. It's Premiere-like in it's interface and fairly easy to learn.
Why does everyone keep saying that Davinci Resolve has a "steep learning curve"????? It doesn't get steep at all until you get into Fusion, to do the real super-fancy Hollywood stuff. I found the basics as simple as they come.

Someone please tell me... What is so hard about opening a project, importing the media, dragging the media to a timeline, trimming the clips, reordering them adding titles and transitions and exporting rendering it??? It's just learning what the icons represent. The basics couldn't be more simple.

Color grading? In any program you have to know what you want as an end result. While Davinci has "nodes" they are nothing more than layers, just like in Photoshop. You can keep it extremely simple at first and do everything on a single node- and then learn how to add more nodes and complexity as you go along.

Why does everyone keep saying that Davinci Resolve has a "steep learning curve"????? It doesn't get steep at all until you get into Fusion, to do the real super-fancy Hollywood stuff. I found the basics as simple as they come.

Someone please tell me... What is so hard about opening a project, importing the media, dragging the media to a timeline, trimming the clips, reordering them adding titles and transitions and exporting rendering it??? It's just learning what the icons represent. The basics couldn't be more simple.

Color grading? In any program you have to know what you want as an end result. While Davinci has "nodes" they are nothing more than layers, just like in Photoshop. You can keep it extremely simple at first and do everything on a single node- and then learn how to add more nodes and complexity as you go along.
If you have never done any editing, both DaVinci and PP are a steep learning curve. Somewhat overwhelming in fact. However once you have cut your teeth on a basic package it's time to move on up.

I think more here are likely to move from a basic package to DaVinci than to PP simply because of cost. And compared to something very basic it IS steep on BOTH.

But it might be easier to learn either of them from a basic package than to switch between them.

Reactions: PAW
Another option, seems Adobe is having a fair sale on Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements:

$89 for the pair - seems like a real bargain.

Regarding learning curves - getting past the initial shock of a new UI, and then learning the work flow the software expects, then finding the controls to make that work flow happen - is only half the battle; the part of editing that I get stuck on is the vocabulary. TRIM is something I do to my hair and SSD's; so why should I look to trim a video? And I forget what they call that wheel that slow motions the playback, but it isn't 'slow' it is some other trade word.

It comes down to the aboriginal peoples of the north having over 100 words for snow. They have because they can. It will never make sense to us peons.

@Greekislandlover
If you have never done any editing before ANY program will have a learning curve. The last video editing I did was in 1983 with VHS. But I picked up the basics of Davinci Resolve in a matter of a few hours (in a single day). I have been primarily a still photographer, so yes, having skills in color correction and proficiency in Photoshop do have a huge crossover because it is more important to know what you want to achieve, rather than knowing (in the moment) the means to achieve it. I learned photo retouching originally on actual film and actual photo s (paper) long before digital retouching. When Photoshop came along I knew what to do and just had to learn Photoshop's tools. It is no different in a video editing program.

How simple is it to get started in Davinci?

1) Open the program and create new project. 2) Open settings and confirm resolution and frame rate (gear icon). 3) Bring media clips in (control-I [windows]). 3) Make sure you are in the "edit" page and drag the media you've imported into the timeline. 4) Trim the clips. You can use the razor blade or the left of right brackets ( [ ] ) after you put your timeline cursor over the area you want to trim. 5) Reorder the clips as you like if you haven't dragged the media in in the proper sequence. 6) Titles: You'll find a selection of title styles in the "effects library". 7) Drag title blank onto the timeline. Change text in "inspector" usually found on the upper right in the menu bar. You can change all the attributes in the inspector as well. 8) Transitions also found in the effects library. Drag your preferred transition over the clips you want to transition from and to. 9) Render. It's called "Deliver" . Follow the menu to set the output settings which you will set the output resolution, format and destination. At first you can pretty much ignore the fancy stuff. At the bottom left find the button that puts it in the render cue on the right, then hit "render" and your project will be created where you told it to go.

Not so hard or steep. Basic? Yes. But once you get clips in and start working you just learn, poco a poco as needed.

I've left out the color grading portion of it, simply because it is more involved requiring a basic understanding of color correction. But if you're familiar and somewhat proficient in Photoshop once you find Davinci's version of the tools that Photoshop uses it's a piece of cake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chicolabronse
I'm surprised no one has mentioned kdenlive. I couldn't run Resolve due to an "antique" video card, but kdenlive has run flawlessly (once I learned how to make it go!) It's also free, open-source, and runs on Windows, IoS, or whatever Linux distro you choose.

Another vote for Davinci Resolve. Many years ago I was a user of Premier pro but did no video editing for a few years. was not happy when I returned and was faced with a monthly fee to update PP and then I found DR. Started with the free version but recently purchased the speed editor and got a free upgrade to the studio version. Being a previous PP user I did not find DR very difficult to get my head around (and I am 70+). Now thinking about buying a BlackMagic 4K camera to expand my video production.

Reactions: vindibona1
I work in Tech Support for years and Adobe is not my friend. You can find my rant in another post.

I use YouTube for my "How to." So I watch a lot of them before I chose the one that was the easiest for me to learn about.

I like WonderShare Filmora X.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21