DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New and Learning

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Hello everyone. I just purchased the DJI Air 3. So far I have unpacked everything, charged the batteries and watched a bunch of YT videos. I plan to fly it over the weekend. If you have anything that can help me, I'd be very appreciative.
Welcome from the West Midlands of the UK.
Depends if you've flown a drone before. If not: Take it easy. Take baby steps getting used to how it handles (all DJI drones are pretty nippy in 'P' mode and this can take you by surprise). Keep a watch on the signal strength icon and make sure the controller antenna always points directly at the drone. Have fun.
Oh!.... additional.... If 'P' mode freaks you out a bit: flip the slider switch on the controller over to 'cine', this really slows the drone down so you can get used to how it reacts to stick input.

Last edited:
Hello from the Crossroads of America sarahb.

So far I have unpacked everything, charged the batteries and watched a bunch of YT videos. I plan to fly it over the weekend. If you have anything that can help me, I'd be very appreciative.

Have you taken the TRUST test??

It's a free, no fail test that's easy to take that covers the basics of flying a drone.

You need to keep a copy with you when you fly.

Also, the aircraft needs to be registered with the FAA.

Read the manual a few times, especially how the RTH function works.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Some suggestions for your first flights:
  • Don't use any of the automated flight modes or rely on the obstacle avoidance features until you have a few (a dozen?) hours of manual flight time.
  • Focus on flying first and don't get distracted by photos and videos.
  • Don't power up the motors unless the orientation of the drone on the map agrees with the actual direction the drone is pointed.
  • Always wait until the satellite indicator is white and the drone has established a home point before taking off.
  • Don't hesitate to ask a friend to help you as a spotter.
  • Land the drone with at least 30% battery capacity remaining.
  • Understand how the RTH function works before using it.
  • Don't rely on the auto-takeoff or RTH landing until you're comfortable doing both manually.
  • Fly in large open areas without obstructions and keep the drone in sight and close to you.
  • Watch the Pilot Institute's basic videos on drone flying and the "deep dive" video on your drone model.
  • Practices basic maneuvers until you can do them smoothly and without having to think about each control motion. Short out-and-back flights. Box patterns. Figure eights. Circles.
  • Take your time.
  • Have fun.

and watched a bunch of YT videos
Some of what is available via the tube can be misleading.
Start with reading the manual and get familiar with the the app and all the different settings available for what aircraft you have. Find an open area with as few distractions as possible and practice. Takes a while, but you’ll enjoy the benefits.
Be safe!

Welcome to the forum. You came to the the right place for information and support. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Some suggestions for your first flights:
  • Don't use any of the automated flight modes or rely on the obstacle avoidance features until you have a few (a dozen?) hours of manual flight time.
I bought the Air 3 because of the Obstacle Avoidance features. Everyone that I've talked to has encouraged its use., especially for beginners. I understand not "relying" on it.
  • Focus on flying first and don't get distracted by photos and videos.
  • Don't power up the motors unless the orientation of the drone on the map agrees with the actual direction the drone is pointed.
  • Always wait until the satellite indicator is white and the drone has established a home point before taking off.
  • Don't hesitate to ask a friend to help you as a spotter.
  • Land the drone with at least 30% battery capacity remaining.
I've read 20%
  • Understand how the RTH function works before using it.
I have read the manual and understand how it works. I plan to only use it if I need to
  • Don't rely on the auto-takeoff or RTH landing until you're comfortable doing both manually.
  • Fly in large open areas without obstructions and keep the drone in sight and close to you.
That's the plan
  • Watch the Pilot Institute's basic videos on drone flying and the "deep dive" video on your drone model.
I have subscribed to UAV Coach and studying for the Part 107
  • Practices basic maneuvers until you can do them smoothly and without having to think about each control motion. Short out-and-back flights. Box patterns. Figure eights. Circles.
  • Take your time.
  • Have fun.
Thank you for the tips. I truly appreciate it

Have you had any experience flying a bird with a remote?

Is this "DJI Air 3" brand new?
To many models as time goes on. :rolleyes:

Anyways ..
A good day can go bad really fast!
Always stay away from Mavic Magnets (🌲)

Almost forgot.
Welcome to the Forum!!

Rod ..

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
All good comments above. Don’t forget to remove the cover protecting the camera gimbal before powering up the drone.
Fly safe and stay safe!

Ddon't take-off from steel surfaces (such as vehicles) or surfaces that probably contain steel (concrete has rebar or wire) inside them. It will mess with the compass on the drone, after take-off your ok, it's just during startup is no good. Make sure your drone is set for "return to home" on signal loss, and the RTH height is high enough to clear any obstructions in the area. Height is your friend, trees jump out at you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13