DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New better rules for Canada!

Thanks for sharing this!

Are you finding the rules difficult to work with? I'm coming to Jasper and Banff for a couple of weeks - obviously I'd love to bring the Mavic, but don't want to carry an expensive paperweight if I'm not going to be flying it...

Thanks for sharing this!

Are you finding the rules difficult to work with? I'm coming to Jasper and Banff for a couple of weeks - obviously I'd love to bring the Mavic, but don't want to carry an expensive paperweight if I'm not going to be flying it...
The last set of rules made it hard. There are airports all over the place, especially heliports. With the last rules you couldn't fly within 9km of anywhere planes take off or land, which eliminated almost all of the city I live in. This is way better for that.

Reactions: Niiik
Thanks for sharing this!

@Niiik what was your experience in Jasper and Banff? I'm heading there next week, wondering the same thing regarding my Mavic.

@Niiik what was your experience in Jasper and Banff? I'm heading there next week, wondering the same thing regarding my Mavic.

I'm afraid I won't be there until the start of August! I think I'll take my Mavic though, and assume I can fly it somewhere... Let me know how you get on!

What does this mean for flying in built up areas? I remember before that any open area inside a built up area was prohibited like parking lots, parks, open lots etc etc not to mention nearly every piece of land is owned by someone or the government. How about regional, provincial or other smaller parks, or major hiking routes? Are these places going to be banned soon???? All it takes is one incident or something to screw it all up in those places.

What happened to the buildings and spectators part of the new rules? I still don't really understand the drone laws here in canada.......

So national parks are NFZs... So Banff and Jasper unfortunately, but still not sure about provincial parks.

If things don't improve soon, I may just give up on this hobby. Seems like a scam to spend all this money on a camera and having no place at all to fly it. It's not just in Canada but other places around the world are banning their use.

Flying any drone without special permission from the park warden in a national park anywhere in Canada is ILLEGAL. Huge fines if your caught and equipment is confiscated

Best to leave it home

Flying any drone without special permission from the park warden in a national park anywhere in Canada is ILLEGAL. Huge fines if your caught and equipment is confiscated

Best to leave it home

Really?!?! I'm going in September. I'd like to take the Mavic. What are the risks? Need some authorization?

Really?!?! I'm going in September. I'd like to take the Mavic. What are the risks? Need some authorization?
Risks are you will be caught as someone will call. Canadians are told to call 911 emergency if they see a drone flying where they are not allowed. You need special permission from the park warden and that is rarely given. You would likely have to apply for a SFOC ( Special flight operations certificate) as well in advance. Not worth the risk as there are a ton of people in the mountain parks this time of year and risks are high you will be caught.

Reactions: ekatron@ and UAVMan
Risks are you will be caught as someone will call. Canadians are told to call 911 emergency if they see a drone flying where they are not allowed. You need special permission from the park warden and that is rarely given. You would likely have to apply for a SFOC ( Special flight operations certificate) as well in advance. Not worth the risk as there are a ton of people in the mountain parks this time of year and risks are high you will be caught.
SFCO are like 'rocking horse crap'... Most applications are filled immediately in the area just below the desk called trash can.

Also is it just me or is the 500m a little confining? I'm all for VLOS but 500m is Mr Magoo territory.
f8dc804d3dd42d7d93d4f28187058203.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag