DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New better rules for Canada!

I'm afraid I won't be there until the start of August! I think I'll take my Mavic though, and assume I can fly it somewhere... Let me know how you get on!
I got back last week and I don't have the best news. I spent 10 days in Alberta and flew my drone once. Now, your experience may be different. I spent most of my time split between Banff and Jasper National Parks; which we all know is off-limits for drones. The one time I flew was along the Icefield Parkway in between parks. Some may say that once is not worth lugging it around, but my opinion has always been no matter the actual reward, it's always better to have it, "just in case".

Also, to all suggesting to leave the drone at home: I'd respectfully disagree. While NPs are NFZs and the regulations are very strict in Canada, I still found areas to fly. For those visiting, heed the advice on refraining from flying in NPs but if you have a similar itinerary as I did (Banff/Jasper) then there is a small town called Canmore tucked in a non-park area right near Banff National Park. If you do the easy trail "Grassi Lakes" you'll get some great views and it's also a drone-friendly area. Just make sure you're complying with all of Canada's other laws.

There is so many beautiful places to fly in Canada, my Mavic comes everywhere. That's the whole point of this tiny bird. Stick to the 30m away from anything and all good...

I'm afraid I won't be there until the start of August! I think I'll take my Mavic though, and assume I can fly it somewhere... Let me know how you get on!

I'd like any feedback regarding the drone flight situation as well as places in general that I can get pics with my DSLR

I would love to fly my drone in banff but I know there are rules against that ... so if anyone knows of any places that I can fly the drone that are outside of the park and still allow me to get great views, I'd appreciate the feedback.

I'm sure there are tons of picturesque areas in this region. Staying in Canmore

I'd like any feedback regarding the drone flight situation as well as places in general that I can get pics with my DSLR

I would love to fly my drone in banff but I know there are rules against that ... so if anyone knows of any places that I can fly the drone that are outside of the park and still allow me to get great views, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Good look, as I'm looking to move to BC soon I'll be approaching from the West next time I'm near Banff. Still pretty sure the answer is to stand on boundary and fly in and out. As to not take off or land in the park.

I've b

I've been in Canmore for a week, and didn't end up flying at all. While there are places that might work, there's also an incredibly active heliport to make things more difficult (this might be worse because of the wildfires).

I'm sure you could find places to fly, but I've been quite content with my DSLR, and very pleased with the photos I've taken ( www.instagram.com/NikHazell/ if you're interested!)

Wow, that's gonna put a chill on flying in Canada.
The exam portion should be quite easy. It will be an online exam and very similar to the boaters exam. Getting insurance on the other hand may be difficult for the first while. I called around and nobody offers personal liability for droanes. The only liability is offered Is for commercial and does not cover personal use.

I am going to Canada next week, Toronto and Banff National Park, should i take or leave the drone At home? Any thoughts.

They've reduced the number of rogue pilots by applying more logic to their rules.

They've reduced the number of rogue pilots by applying more logic to their rules.

Agreed. I actually like the new rules. Since the Mavic falls in the under 1kg category, it has even less restrictions. Not sure about the insurance thing though. I like the idea, but then they need to force companies to offer it a reasonable rates. Right now, I can really only find it available for commercial operations, and then it costs more than the drone per year.
Going to have to see how it finalizes, but it does appear that they are on the right track and will curb many of the "rogue" pilots.

Personally, I would like to see with the new license/certification requirements, the ability for easier application to fly in certain areas. Mainly, if I have the license (more specifically, if I get the more complex license) I would like to see easier access to fly in places like provincial and national parks.

Reactions: UAVMan
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929