DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

The new rules are much less restrictive than the existing ones.
It cost me 35 minutes and $20 to write the test and register 2 drones
Even the new SFOC seems easier to get.

Yeah, pay $5 for the course, but need to contact a flight school for training, who knows what they will charge.. BS

The school part is expected to be 800.

The small print says your expected to maintain that training which means more money also every two years

The school part is expected to be 800.

The small print says your expected to maintain that training which means more money also every two years

I just registered my drone for five dollars. Then paid the $10 and got my certificate pilot license. I passed. It’s a joke you don’t need the school just Google everything

Reactions: mad monkey
Yes $15 dollars total for the basic test.
Just make sure you have google browse open and Transport Canada’s rules

rules are definitely relaxed.. the new definition of airport vs any landing strip.. 400 feet alt like everybody else.. urban ops. night ops (as long as you aren't flying over people or in restricted airspace without advanced certificate).. but the basic test seemed tough to me as a guy with no aviation background.. the average person may not pay multiple times to pass that to take some silly pictures.

Yes I totally agree when I use the UAV Forecast app where I live I can fly. But when I use the Ministry of transportation’s mapping, I am not able to fly. I am totally confused?

Attachments

• 8DCB0C62-6C36-4DE7-AF50-18C51040F33F.png
    8DCB0C62-6C36-4DE7-AF50-18C51040F33F.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • C1CB757C-1463-40FE-A24B-E2B6569D9FF3.png
    C1CB757C-1463-40FE-A24B-E2B6569D9FF3.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 48
Looks like I'll have to look into taking the test.. Maybe in a week there will be. A. Bunch of answers posted lol save googling

I just registered my drone for five dollars. Then paid the $10 and got my certificate pilot license. I passed. It’s a joke you don’t need the school just Google everything

I don't think you need the school part for Small Basic license, but you do for the "Small Advanced". The test for the small advanced looks intense. I posted some excepts in another thread going on about this, they want you to be able to explain run way numbering, runway incursion avoidance, comminuting with your flight crew, what bands the air traffic control stuff is on, signal to noise ratio, plus all the stuff you would expect like surface contamination etc; basically really deep... Looks like tons of stuff you need to know when flying at an airport, which I don't think your allowed to do even with a Small Advanced license, you still need an SFOC I think for that.

The full details is listed here:
Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

But be warned this list is exhaustive for the small advanced license. I suspect that's why the ground school is the $800 plus.... the small basic seems very reasonable I will admit. I think I will try and get that done when I have time, I wasn't rushing out to do it as I had 6 months, but maybe I will give it a go anyways.

WTF - are you kidding me ?? That’s insane!
I just bought my drone for Xmas. Now I need to licence! That’s total BS
School LOL

You don't need the flight school for the small basic pilot certificate, just small advanced. and that test is pretty basic is what everyone is posted and what the people who have posted on YouTube have already said. I suspect most people flying the Mavic will only want the Small Basic. I was looking at Small Advanced, because I have a Inspire 2 and I wanted to be able to take off if there is a few people around. hard to drag a I2 into the woods so no one is around so I can take off or later land. The Mavic no issues moving a bit to take off away from people. Plus the advanced appears to allow you to fly over people too... which can be handy sometimes I guess, but its starting to look like its not worth it. I showed the test requirements to a pilot friend of mine who I fly helicopter with and he laughed, He said it looked like the normal pilots written exam.

I thought I should point out (and I did in a second thread on this topic also) that TC also says your must stay far away from other drones when flying... this could be a problem. Not sure how many of you fly with friends, but I very often do.... the comments are made on the site, but not sure if they form part of the law itself.

Hey dronnies,

Just completed the Transport Canada test.
Passed with a 74%...... need 65% to pass.
I have my ultralight certificate (1986 issued), some basic knowledge about flight, regs,etc.
Must say though, be prepared for a few tough questions. They are multiple choice, but will require some thought (or luck as in my case) to answer correctly.
I am all for some regulations, but some of this required knowledge is a tad overkill!
Good luck all........DRONE ON...

Reactions: 495bigjoe
Hey dronnies,

Just completed the Transport Canada test.
Passed with a 74%...... need 65% to pass.
I have my ultralight certificate (1986 issued), some basic knowledge about flight, regs,etc.
Must say though, be prepared for a few tough questions. They are multiple choice, but will require some thought (or luck as in my case) to answer correctly.
I am all for some regulations, but some of this required knowledge is a tad overkill!
Good luck all........DRONE ON...
Is this the basic or advanced test???

I thought I should point out (and I did in a second thread on this topic also) that TC also says your must stay far away from other drones when flying... this could be a problem. Not sure how many of you fly with friends, but I very often do.... the comments are made on the site, but not sure if they form part of the law itself.
That could be an issue since the regulations now apply to model aircraft as well. TC now lumps recreational drones and model aircraft in the same class (RPA)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky