DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

The new rules are much less restrictive than the existing ones.
It cost me 35 minutes and $20 to write the test and register 2 drones
Even the new SFOC seems easier to get.
Really? What exactly is much “less” restrictive? So you can fly to 122m instead of 90. Is that “much less” restricted? Is there other loosened regulations that I’m failing to see? Just asking because the only less restricted part that I can see is that we can fly a bit higher.... just sayin...

Reactions: mad monkey
There's a saying: "The only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys", And complexity and potential for problems if used improperly or irresponsibly.
As long as pilots think of their drones as "toys" there will be more problems involving the authorities and more rules and regulations to control our hobby.
We have to take seriously the laws and regulations and our responsibility for the safe operation of our crafts.
We may not agree with the laws but they are there largely because a need for them has been demonstrated.
Have fun and fly safely.

Really? What exactly is much “less” restrictive? So you can fly to 122m instead of 90. Is that “much less” restricted? Is there other loosened regulations that I’m failing to see? Just asking because the only less restricted part that I can see is that we can fly a bit higher.... just sayin...

that and the use of the word airports, which eliminates many 'landing' locations.. urban ops are allowable, no mention of b uilt up areas.. night ops are allowed if you have visibility lights

There's a saying: "The only difference between men and boys is the cost of their toys", And complexity and potential for problems if used improperly or irresponsibly.
As long as pilots think of their drones as "toys" there will be more problems involving the authorities and more rules and regulations to control our hobby.
We have to take seriously the laws and regulations and our responsibility for the safe operation of our crafts.
We may not agree with the laws but they are there largely because a need for them has been demonstrated.
Have fun and fly safely.
Totally agree with u.
ty for answering my dumb question :)

Question for the Canadian legal buffs.
Since aviation in Canada is federally controlled and this is a new federal law, would the RCMP be the policing authority?
Ie. If someone complains that I'm flying illegally will it be the RCMP pulling into my driveway? :)

Since aviation in Canada is federally controlled and this is a new federal law, would the RCMP be the policing authority?
Ie. If someone complains that I'm flying illegally will it be the RCMP pulling into my driveway? :)
Way to crack the worm can!;)

I believe they have delegated enforcement capabilities to the local law enforcement in general meaning it could be the RCMP if that's your area, or Peel Regional Police, Toronto Police, Ontario Provincial police just to give a few examples.

Are urban ops allowable under the basic permit though? Jeez it’s as clear as mud to me:confused:
That's a really good question since I remember when the regs were first being drafted that the advanced certificate was required for urban (complex) ops. Just like the insurance requirement going away, I don't remember reading anything about urban ops requiring an advanced certificate when I looked at the legislation a couple of days ago. The only thing I remember was the distance limits from people being observed. Maybe I just missed it?

The basic regs say no closer than 30m horizontally to people and no flying over people so I'm not sure how one could fly over an urban area legally. There was also something in the regs about height over buildings but I don't recall the details.

The basic regs say no closer than 30m horizontally to people and no flying over people so I'm not sure how one could fly over an urban area legally. There was also something in the regs about height over buildings but I don't recall the details.
If it is early on a sunday morning and there are no people around, I say why not? Current regs have a "distance to built up areas" of several kms which pretty well hoses any ability for urban flying. The new regs just say no flying within a 30m lateral distance to people and minimum altitude which I can't recall (30m perhaps?)

Reactions: tangy07
it mentions nothing about built up areas and i read before the rules came out that the word people would not include people in houses and cars

This is the section that had me scratching my head. The part (b).

"
Maximum Altitude
901.25 (1)
Subject to subsection (2), no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft at an altitude greater than

• (a) 400 feet (122 m) AGL; or
  • (b) 100 feet (30 m) above any building or structure, if the aircraft is being operated at a distance of less than 200 feet (61 m), measured horizontally, from the building or structure."

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000