DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Compass Calibration Recommendations (from the v2.0 manual)

Hoe do you make it calibrate if it's not telling you to?
You can calibrate the compass in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Calibrate-Compass.jpg

SO EVEN IF, it doesnt show to calibrate, its better to calibrate once and always on the app ?

Compass calibration is especially needed when flying in high latitudes. Had big problems in northern Finland and in northern Siberia at latitudes higher than 67°N. Also when solar activity is high, the magnetic field gets more distorted than elsewhere; hence daily calibration is highly recommended, even when flying in the same location.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Man, there are A LOT of nerds on this forum!!! Hahaha!

Seriously though, good information. I work with magnetic fields at least once a week. Plus I have to admit, I've calibrated wearing my smart watch and with my phone.... Wait, I have a question, you're running the calibration using your phone, how do you eliminate it from the situation?

I think they advised not to because most users don't pay attention to detail, such as removing all metallic objects from their persons, including (smart)watches and phones, doing it outside, away from metal structures, etc. And bad calibration can result in flyaway/crash.

This is what I'm wondering about.....

Compass calibration is especially needed when flying in high latitudes. Had big problems in northern Finland and in northern Siberia at latitudes higher than 67°N. Also when solar activity is high, the magnetic field gets more distorted than elsewhere; hence daily calibration is highly recommended, even when flying in the same location.

Recommended by whom?

THanks for that - both the alert to a new manual, the changed content and the rather excellent looking Draftable app :)

Maybe some one else mentioned this and I missed it, but for me the most notable change in the Mavic Pro User Manual is the new page 37 which describes how to fly in dual remote controller mode. This allows two people to see what the camera is seeing without trying to peer over the pilot's shoulder. Of course, this means two remote controllers and two monitors.

Maybe some one else mentioned this and I missed it, but for me the most notable change in the Mavic Pro User Manual is the new page 37 which describes how to fly in dual remote controller mode.
Page 39? It's a neat feature, but it's not a recent addition.

Declination can't be the issue here as I've flown from Western Ar. to Nova Scotia with NO prompt or error. Heck the darn thing came from China and has been perfect since day one.
I think your experience is anomalous.

I think your experience is anomalous.

I don't it's anomalous. Calibration has nothing to do with declination and should only be needed if the magnetic field of the aircraft or the characteristics of the magnetometers changes for some reason. I've never calibrated my Mavic and flown it at various locations in the US and Europe. I calibrated my P4 once when I first bought it.

I don't it's anomalous. Calibration has nothing to do with declination and should only be needed if the magnetic field of the aircraft or the characteristics of the magnetometers changes for some reason. I've never calibrated my Mavic and flown it at various locations in the US and Europe. I calibrated my P4 once when I first bought it.
I'm sorry, I will clarify. I think the experience of not being requested to perform a calibration after a significant location change is anomalous. But I could be wrong .

I'm sorry, I will clarify. I think the experience of not being requested to perform a calibration after a significant location change is anomalous. But I could be wrong .

Actually that's what I assumed that you meant. But I've never had that happen, and I cannot see any reason why that would require a new calibration. The only thing that changes with location is the earth's magnetic field, and the calibration has nothing to do with the earth's field. Calibration is only charaterizing the aircraft's field.

Actually that's what I assumed that you meant. But I've never had that happen, and I cannot see any reason why that would require a new calibration. The only thing that changes with location is the earth's magnetic field, and the calibration has nothing to do with the earth's field. Calibration is only charaterizing the aircraft's field.
Really? You've never had a request for compass recalibration? I get one every time I travel more than say 100 miles. I haven't tested what is causing the request. I just know I get one every single time. And I've done a lot of traveling with the Mavic. Maybe it's the X-ray machines. Maybe it's the jostling. I have no idea. I don't think the results would provide a whole lot of fodder, but I would be curious to see how many people have recalibration request versus those like you who apparently don't ever get the request. I'm old school where we had to perform the recalibration virtually every time we flew. So the occasional recalibration request actually makes me feel a bit more comfortable. Haha.

Really? You've never had a request for compass recalibration? I get one every time I travel more than say 100 miles. I haven't tested what is causing the request. I just know I get one every single time. And I've done a lot of traveling with the Mavic. Maybe it's the X-ray machines. Maybe it's the jostling. I have no idea. I don't think the results would provide a whole lot of fodder, but I would be curious to see how many people have recalibration request versus those like you who apparently don't ever get the request. I'm old school where we had to perform the recalibration virtually every time we flew. So the occasional recalibration request actually makes me feel a bit more comfortable. Haha.

Not even once. I started with the P2 and spent a significant amount of time working on the j-hook problem, which was clearly a compass issue, but since then calibration has never been an issue. X-rays machines should not have any effect, but if the aircraft is exposed to strong external magnetic fields then that could certainly change things.

I've never been prompted to calibrate compass in thousands of miles traveled over several months of flying, including a trip USA<->Europe, however, I did two calibrations on my own initiatives in the past 2 months because my Mavic was not flying straight. Apparently, the magnetization it has got from external sources was not enough to trigger the prompt, but enough to make me go, "WTF?"

Reactions: Clinton1
Not even once. I started with the P2 and spent a significant amount of time working on the j-hook problem, which was clearly a compass issue, but since then calibration has never been an issue. X-rays machines should not have any effect, but if the aircraft is exposed to strong external magnetic fields then that could certainly change things.
Well clearly there are other variables at play then. Probably a QC function for the magnetometer manufacturing process. I'm fine with mine as is but sure would prefer your experience!

Reactions: sar104
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143