Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New DJI FPV drone on the way!

So what happened today at 8:00am EST?

This got announced...

Reactions: codaroommedia
This got announced...

Bummer.... So nothing about the FPV I guess

A cinematic DJI drone that goes 150 km/h? I look forward to the onslaught of videos that just suddenly end.

4r80yv.jpg

Reactions: FASTFJR and pftarch
When DJI came out with their FPV goggles I said they missed the mark and that the FPV community wouldn't accept them.

I was VERY wrong.

Now they're coming out with their own FPV drone and I, again, feel as though it is missing the mark for FPV flying, so, based on my past prediction history, it will probably be a HUGE success.

I have a list of concerns as follows:

I like smaller sub 250g (3 inch) FPV models. They are limited in what you can accomplish with them, but, for me, I take some comfort in the fact that if it all goes VERY bad, the amount of damage to people or property that I could cause is also somewhat limited. You REALLY don't want to get hit with a 5" drone going 90 mph. For me, the DJI FPV drone looks fairly heavy.

The FPV mantra is "fly-crash-repair-repeat". I have slammed my FPV drones into:
  • Grass
  • Pavement
  • Concrete
  • Trees
  • Branches
  • Trampoline poles
  • My house
  • Other immovable items that I can't even remember
80% of the time I pick the the darn things up, unbend a prop or two, and just keep flying. The remaining 20% involve sadness, denial, acceptance, replacement parts, soldering, epoxy, duct tape, etc. I have at least moderate crashes EVERY time I fly my FPV drone. Trying a lazy S for the first time with the DJI FPV drone and ultimately bouncing it off the pavement does not look to me like it will end well.

I can totally replace my best 3" FPV drone for about $200, (and I am now awaiting delivery of that very drone). It took me an entire 7 days to break it beyond repair. I'm guessing that a totaled DJI drone will not be in that price range.

The DJI FPV drone appears to have proximity detection. While that will prevent many of my above mentioned crashes, it will also prevent "proximity flying" if it is turned on. I like hurling my drone through 24 inch openings, playground equipment, tree branches, etc. I'm guessing that I could turn off proximity detection with a DJI unit to do this, but, as I mentioned above I am then risking a substantial repair bill.

On the subject of repairs, how is DJI's customer service for cost competitiveness and turn around time?

Part of my love of FPV flying is the fact that it requires constant input and control. The drone doesn't think for itself or protect itself. This requires a lengthy learning curve and dedication. My fear is that newbies will be able to charge the DJI FPV package up in the morning and be out trying to building surf in the afternoon. This will not end well for the pilot, the drone, or our reputation as a drone flying community. Picture the headline "Man Trying to do Powerloop Through the Arc de Triumph on Christmas Afternoon Crashes and Sets Fire to the Number 1 Rated Paris Bistro".

Another "plus" to my FPV flying vs my Mavic flying is the openness of the entire FPV ecosystem. I have numerous options as to which brand of remote, goggles, camera's, motors, flight controllers, ESC's, I can purchase and I don't have to only fly a Taranis drone with my Taranis controller. There are no required software updates and I don't have to create an "account" with a manufacturer to fly.

I am conflicted with the fact that DJI makes a product that performs so much better than the competition that ultimately it effectively eliminates the competition. I can't really fault DJI for making a great product at a great price, but, as much as I love my Mavic, I really wish that there were other options that worked as well in a similar price range. I would prefer it if DJI didn't corner the market on FPV flying too.

In closing, I was TOTALLY wrong about the DJI FPV goggles, so I am probably wrong about their upcoming FPV drone. FPV flying is INCREDIBLY fun and maybe this will help get more people (hopefully safely) into the hobby.

Just my 2+ cents,

Peter T

Peter, it will not be a pure FPV drone for sure. I think they label it as FPV just because you can fly it with goggles. So no fear for FPV type crashes/accidents from day one. It will have a hobby drone fly mode and a (almost) pure FPV mode. Or maybe it will have some auto modes like Quickshots to do acro flying, i dont know
But for sure it will not be as raw as a racing drone
So if you will fly it in FPV mode as a begginer it will be your fault entirely if you crash it. Not much difference than if you will crash with a pure FPV drone, just a little difference in your pocket :)

I think DJI is targeting a new category of pilots with this drone. People that want to have a FPV fly mode experience without having to learn how to fly for months and without having to fear for crashes. They might like to fly sometimes slower or faster than with a FPV drone, just enjoing a nice view with a good video feed
Add a better autonomy and you will have a new product
This type of combo is entirely new on the market and for the time being it is very nice that DJI comes with this

Last edited:
... I like smaller sub 250g (3 inch) FPV models. They are limited in what you can accomplish with them, but, for me, I take some comfort in the fact that if it all goes VERY bad, the amount of damage to people or property that I could cause is also somewhat limited. You REALLY don't want to get hit with a 5" drone going 90 mph. For me, the DJI FPV drone looks fairly heavy....
This is a very real concern. Two years ago, our office bought and renovated a building that had been empty for a couple of years. It has a decent size parking lot, completely hidden from the road by trees. While the building had been empty, some people had been using it for FPV drone racing. Right after we moved in, they shattered some outside lamps (we have it on video). They were small drones but at a fast enough speed, a 250g object is going to pack some force (~11 N).

This is a very real concern. Two years ago, our office bought and renovated a building that had been empty for a couple of years. It has a decent size parking lot, completely hidden from the road by trees. While the building had been empty, some people had been using it for FPV drone racing. Right after we moved in, they shattered some outside lamps (we have it on video). They were small drones but at a fast enough speed, a 250g object is going to pack some force (~11 N).
That sucks for you folks, I hope that the damage wasn't too expensive.

If they were actually "racing" I doubt that it was with sub 250g drones. Most people that race and do freestyle are doing it with 5" props and they are much heavier than 250g (exceeding 700g is not uncommon and a 5S battery alone can weight 320g). In addition, my little 3" seems to max out around 40-50 mph (estimated) vs the near 100 mph that racing drones can get up to. Although I hope that my 220g HGLRC Sector 132 wouldn't smash a light globe on impact, I try not to put myself in the position to find out.

Peter T

That sucks for you folks, I hope that the damage wasn't too expensive.

If they were actually "racing" I doubt that it was with sub 250g drones. Most people that race and do freestyle are doing it with 5" props and they are much heavier than 250g (exceeding 700g is not uncommon and a 5S battery alone can weight 320g). In addition, my little 3" seems to max out around 40-50 mph (estimated) vs the near 100 mph that racing drones can get up to. Although I hope that my 220g HGLRC Sector 132 wouldn't smash a light globe on impact, I try not to put myself in the position to find out.

Peter T
I honestly don't know what the size of the drones were. But they were big enough to take out a light sconce. We put up some signs saying that it was private property under surveillance and they stopped flying there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU