DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New (DJI refurbished) or Used?

FlyingHevy

Reactions
The basic question: should I buy new or used (I consider DJI refurbished to be new).

As I get ready to finally buy my first DJI, I'm struck by how little, even with a lot of reading, I understand about the "dangers" of buying used. If I'm considering buying used (most likely from here, but I guess elsewhere, as well), what do I need to ask about and satisfy myself about before I make the deal? Should I be asking for flight lots or battery logs (is there such a thing)? How can I verify it hasn't been crashed? What are the implications for sending it to DJI for repair if I break it? How do I verify that the person actually owns it and that I'll be able to use it?

Sorry, I have read a bunch of threads, but I haven't really found clear answers to these questions. Mods, feel free to lock/delete if I just can't search (this is entirely possible, unfortunately).

And thanks, in advance, for any advice you all can offer (I'm so glad I found this forum before I bought, even though it's slowed my purchase considerably as I read and learned and searched for answers).

The basic question: should I buy new or used (I consider DJI refurbished to be new).

As I get ready to finally buy my first DJI, I'm struck by how little, even with a lot of reading, I understand about the "dangers" of buying used. If I'm considering buying used (most likely from here, but I guess elsewhere, as well), what do I need to ask about and satisfy myself about before I make the deal? Should I be asking for flight lots or battery logs (is there such a thing)? How can I verify it hasn't been crashed? What are the implications for sending it to DJI for repair if I break it? How do I verify that the person actually owns it and that I'll be able to use it?

Sorry, I have read a bunch of threads, but I haven't really found clear answers to these questions. Mods, feel free to lock/delete if I just can't search (this is entirely possible, unfortunately).

And thanks, in advance, for any advice you all can offer (I'm so glad I found this forum before I bought, even though it's slowed my purchase considerably as I read and learned and searched for answers).

Personally I would never buy a used drone. You can never tell what it’s been through. Given they’re not cheap (even second hand) I’d rather have a new one.

That said...

How can I verify it hasn’t crashed - You can’t. All you can do is look for physical damage, but if it’s been into water even physical damage won’t give that away.

Should I ask to see flight logs - Always. Make sure they match up with what the seller tells you

What are the implications for sending it to DJI for repair if I break it - If it still has warranty or care Refresh you’ll be able to use it as long as the damage falls within the terms and conditions. If it has neither of those you’ll have to pay.

How do I verify that the person actually owns it and that I'll be able to use it - You can’t verify that the person owns it. They don’t come with paperwork to transfer ownership.

Im sure there are plenty of genuine sellers out there, but like anything, there will be dodgy ones too.

Lots of excellent questions! Also a great strategy to join us first and do lots of research before buying.

@Lastrexking gave you some very good answers to your questions. I will just a dd a bit about my experiences.

There are never any guarantees of course if you decide to buy used. You are in many ways rolling the dice. However, with some careful shopping and testing, there are excellent values to be had.

My biggest recommendation would be to never buy used through the mail. Always make the transaction in-person with a full and rigorous test flight. If the drone behaves flawlessly and you see not system errors, then it is most likely a good purchase. I realize that this is much easier once you already have experience flying them because, well, you don't know what you don't know. It is difficult to know how to fully test one if you have no experience in doing so.

If you purchase one that is still under warranty and has an active Care Refresh Plan then you really minimize your risk. DJI warranty and Care Refresh are fully transferable. They stay with the drone, not the owner.

Lastly, perhaps find someone who is selling on these forums who has been here a while, contributes a great deal, and has a good reputation.

My very first drone (a P3P) was purchased used. I guess I got a bit lucky on that one since I had no experience with DJI products. However, I spoke extensively (on his personal cell phone) with the person selling it and got a good vibe. I met him at his own house (with his family there) which made it even more reassuring. Lastly, we did a full test flight and it seemed to me that it was fully functional. Of course I will admit that at that point I would likely not have spotted any minor issues with it because I did not have the experience. It worked out great though. It was a perfect drone and I got a great deal of enjoyment out of it, at a fantastic price.

So, I would say that I fully support buying used. It is a great way to get more bang for the buck. However, you do need to be careful and you truly never know until after you make the purchase.

I have found if you buy referbs from the manufacturer or their authorized repair facilities you can for the most part receive a quality item for less than new. I have had success with DJI and Apple products.
dji certified refurbs are super clean and come w/ same warranty
@FlyingHevy
what model did you have in mind?

if you are able to afford it then new is the best way to go ,dealer or dji direct used come with some guarantees ,but if funds are tight then, if you can take a friend with you who knows the ropes ,and is able to fly the drone and inspect it before purchase then that is the best way to go good luck in your search

As said above. Its always best to buy new, unless you find someone reputable who you trust with a used drone. Other than that, no way to really tell what you are getting. DJI Refurbished are a great option to save some money and you can attach the refresh warranty to them which makes it a great deal. If you would like, I could send you a quote on some DJI refurbished units and try and get you into the setup you were wanting.

Thanks,
FDS Team

I’m a big fan of factory refurbished.
But for my first drone I would consider buying new with DJI care. If you’re going to crash it’s probably going to be your first drone.

Reactions: FlyingHevy
Hi all, sorry if I’m highjacking a thread here as wasn’t sure how to post a new thread but wondered if you could help......I Have an official DJI dummy replica mavic pro which was used as a display in stores/trade shows, basically a shell with box, is there anyway to buy parts to make this fly?

Attachments

• EF5487F8-E95A-4715-BFE8-CA5E7222E851.jpeg
    EF5487F8-E95A-4715-BFE8-CA5E7222E851.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 21
Hi all, sorry if I’m highjacking a thread here as wasn’t sure how to post a new thread but wondered if you could help......I Have an official DJI dummy replica mavic pro which was used as a display in stores/trade shows, basically a shell with box, is there anyway to buy parts to make this fly?

It would cost as much as a new drone, and not guaranteed to work. There's every chance that the parts won't even fit, plus you'd need a remote too.

Reactions: Capt KO
I’m a big fan of factory refurbished.
But for my first drone I would consider buying new with DJI care. If you’re going to crash it’s probably going to be your first drone.
You can get dji care on a dji refurb as well

I sell drones on Craigslist. I insist that the buyer fly the drone personally, before the sale. Most are inexperienced and greatly appreciate the instruction. Most will stay in touch for a while until they have built up their confidence. And I know that they are going to be OK.

If you can’t do something like that then go with the refurbished with care refresh.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi