DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firehouse Strobe kit

The FAA has not yet determined any type of enforcement. I doubt that most police won't know it exists. And if one doesn't present the Trust Certificate what would a local law officer be able to do? Flying without a Trust certificate wouldn't violate any local ordinances. IMO, at least for a time- perhaps a long time it is nothing more than a campaign. No record of it at the FAA or the testing facility.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's a good idea to make folks aware of the rules. I've got a Part 107 but took the "test" anyway... but mostly for giggles. I don't think most newbie flyers or cops would even know this exists unless they hang out on forums like this one. Will DJI even pack the information inside their boxes informing the public?
You're absolutely correct.The police can't enforce any of the FAA's regulations. All they can do is report anything they believe to be an FAA infraction to the FAA, like VLOS, no registration, flying over a crowd repeatedly, flying over first responders, etc. The police will essentially send a description of the way the drone was being used to the FAA and the FAA takes it from there. The FAA will then send out a letter of concern, warnings and or fines. But otherwise the police don't have jurisdiction over drone pilots, unless drone pilots break the laws of the land like wreckless endagerment, invasion of privacy, disturbing the peace, destruction of private property, and even tresspassing in certain circumstances, etc. Then the police can act. If not, they'll pass the buck to the FAA. Or just give the pilot a warning. I have had plenty of warnings, at least in my early days of flighthood. It was always, you can't land or take off here. And that, the police can enforce. It's tresspassing. But they were never sure, so I just kept getting warnings.

@Arkira
There are fewer differences and I think a few misunderstandings on some of the rules.

I'm not sure what a "CAR" is in Canada.

"Trust" is something new that hasn't been implemented as a requirement yet. IMO it will be one of those things that won't even be looked at much if at all when it becomes "required". It's as much a training aid as it is a test. I did it in the car in 15 minutes traveling on vacation (no, I was not driving:0) . The slow part was trying to maintain internet access on the road.
[In Canada] "Able to fly in class C,D or E airspace with a sub 250g drone."... You're telling me that you don't need any type of authorization to fly in Class C D or E airspace with a Mini 1/2? I find that difficult to believe as DJI has some serious geofencing around C and D airports (and some E's). But any pilot can fly in C,D and E airspace without a Part 107 IF you get authorization (LAANC) and go through whatever unlocking DJI requires. I would imagine that geofencing is as tough in Canada as in the US. I often get authorization without declaring Part 107 when I'm flying recreationally.

There is no differentiation between sub 250g drones and larger drones up to 55 pounds as weight classes go- AS LONG AS THEY ARE *REGISTERED*. Put two strobes on a Mini and you're over. Even with a naked Mini it makes no sense not to at least register it so you never have to worry if you ever want to throw accessories on it. You do it once online and pay your $5 and then there is virtually no distinction. I fly my Mini 2 or Mavic 2 as I think the conditions warrant without regard to the weight.

Strobes? Any decent strobe will fulfill the night flight requirement. I almost ALWAYS fly with strobes, even during the day. Really a non issue IMO. It would be stupid to fly at night without a strobe as you'd violate VLOS almost immediately without them.

Yeah... Remote ID is coming, but not for some time. Personally I think it's going to create more issues than it will solve. JMO.
Just to note: Until very recently, flying at night was illegal without a waiver from the FAA, but the new rules allow it for both Part 107 and recreational pilots, provided you take some training:
Current Part 107 Certificate holders must complete the new recurrent training and exam via the FAAST website. Pilots without a current Part 107 Certificate are required to complete their initial aeronautical knowledge exam at an FAA-designated Airman Testing Facility first, and then to complete the new night flying training modules from the renewal exam.

I was looking up some of the drone laws in Canada, and one of the things that is most different from here is VISITOR operation of drones in your country. Canada, at this time, does not allow visitor drone applications. Does this mean anything over 250g or all drones. Both recreationally or commercially? In the US, as I understand it, foreign licenses permit vistors to fly their drones here. I'm not sure what the restrictions are beyond that.

As far as I am aware if your not Canadian you can fly sub 250g drones without issue. However if your over 250g then you need to pass the basic cert exam, have proof of TP15263 training, and register the drone. Then you apply for an SFOC. I did see reports of Transport Canada not approving foreign hobby/recreational pilot requests but I never found any actual statement from them about it.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this firehouse strobe? I just ordered one as its visible from 3 miles and is compatible with the wetsuit I plan to get. I was wondering how is your experience with it and what the overall weight of it is?
So the topic seems to have strayed all over the place but I had a question related to the first post. I'm looking at the Firehouse Arc V and had a question for someone who owns or has seen the new multi color (white, red, green). Is it the same brightness as the all white, or is the high intensity white brighter?

Thanks in advance!

The red and green arc v lights are not quite as bright as the clear one. With that said, the arc v strobes are the brightest in the industry for that size. It is a good system and I think you would be hard-pressed to find something better.

The red and green arc v lights are not quite as bright as the clear one. With that said, the arc v strobes are the brightest in the industry for that size. It is a good system and I think you would be hard-pressed to find something better.
I appreciate the answer, but this wasn't quite what I was asking. I actually called Firehouse today and got the answer in case anyone is interested. Any of the color changing models of the Arc V lights do not use Cree LEDs. They use a different model LED and they are not as bright. So if you buy the multi/color changing models, (White/Red/Green/Blue) models they are only 800 lumens. The solid color models are all 1000 lumens regardless of what color they are. Interesting to note that vindibona1 says the white are brighter while I've heard others mention the green are brighter. Either way I am confident that these are the best on the market.

I appreciate the answer, but this wasn't quite what I was asking. I actually called Firehouse today and got the answer in case anyone is interested. Any of the color changing models of the Arc V lights do not use Cree LEDs. They use a different model LED and they are not as bright. So if you buy the multi/color changing models, (White/Red/Green/Blue) models they are only 800 lumens. The solid color models are all 1000 lumens regardless of what color they are. Interesting to note that vindibona1 says the white are brighter while I've heard others mention the green are brighter. Either way I am confident that these are the best on the market.
Thanks for the technical answer. FWIW lumens are exceptionally difficult to measure because there are technicalities that are difficult to understand. It would be simpler if there as rated guide number like photo strobes. But no. But if you go by the mfrs rated lumens, by comparison the big name brand, LumeCube strobe is only rated at 500 lumens. So 800 is pretty good.

On a practical basis the red and green strobes are primarily for directional orientation and you will depend on the white strobe for tracking your drone, which I recommend putting on the bottom. If flying at night I will usually have one white on the top and one on the bottom so that aircraft above can spot the drone and the one on the bottom is easier to spot from the ground.

The basic certification is pretty straight forward to get. However yeah once you cross that threshold then there is a lot you can no longer do with the Mini 2. As for the 3 mile part as long as the product makes the claim then I should be fine. In Canada we don't have a distance requirement for lights from Transport Canada but our laws are changing every year.
The rule for night flights means you do not fly past VLOS with any of the lights you might put on your drone in Canada. So if you have a light and you can only see it for 1000 feet that is your VLOS.
I use the "STROBON CREE® STANDALONE" which they say is good for 3 miles at night. Not even close to what is advertised. After about 2000 feet it gets real hard to see.

Night Flight Requirements​

• 901.39 (1) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system during the night unless the remotely piloted aircraft is equipped with position lights sufficient to allow the aircraft to be visible to the pilot and any visual observer, whether with or without night-vision goggles, and those lights are turned on.
  • (2) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system using night-vision goggles unless the goggles are capable of, or the person has another means of, detecting all light within the visual spectrum.

The rule for night flights means you do not fly past VLOS with any of the lights you might put on your drone in Canada. So if you have a light and you can only see it for 1000 feet that is your VLOS.
I use the "STROBON CREE® STANDALONE" which they say is good for 3 miles at night. Not even close to what is advertised. After about 2000 feet it gets real hard to see.

• 901.39 (1) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system during the night unless the remotely piloted aircraft is equipped with position lights sufficient to allow the aircraft to be visible to the pilot and any visual observer, whether with or without night-vision goggles, and those lights are turned on.
  • (2) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system using night-vision goggles unless the goggles are capable of, or the person has another means of, detecting all light within the visual spectrum.
I have flown at night, over water and maintained direct visual contact with the Firehouse kit up to 10,000 feet! Not quite 2 miles but pretty darned far. During the day I’d say 1600 ft is the he farthest before you lose it in the sky.

I am aware of the night time requirements from Transport Canada... There is no given distance requirement from them like the FAA which is what my reply was getting at. Mostly I was mentioning the distance of 3 miles as I could see Transport Canada someday writing in a visual distance requirement instead of just stating VLOS. Either way as long as I can see the drone and light I am fine. Those Strobon Cree lights look pretty good. I never did come across them when I was searching for strobe light options.

The solid color models are all 1000 lumens regardless of what color they are. Interesting to note that vindibona1 says the white are brighter while I've heard others mention the green are brighter.

For sure brightness form highest to least is white, then red, then green, and then blue.
This was actually noted in some of the Firehouse ads, could have been resellers info.

I am aware of the night time requirements from Transport Canada... There is no given distance requirement from them like the FAA which is what my reply was getting at. Mostly I was mentioning the distance of 3 miles as I could see Transport Canada someday writing in a visual distance requirement instead of just stating VLOS. Either way as long as I can see the drone and light I am fine. Those Strobon Cree lights look pretty good. I never did come across them when I was searching for strobe light options.
Yes the Strobon Cree lights are probably your best option for weight. Still weights in at 4 grams. From someone who has been flying many years night flight is not all its cracked up to be. There are a few other things to consider with night flight. Your video or photos will not be all that great. Taking off and landing spot should be well lit as it is hard to land in the dark. Obstacles in the flight path should be scouted out during daylight hours. All things to consider. To me its just something I wanted to try but do not spend much time on it anymore.

Yes the Strobon Cree lights are probably your best option for weight. Still weights in at 4 grams. From someone who has been flying many years night flight is not all its cracked up to be. There are a few other things to consider with night flight. Your video or photos will not be all that great. Taking off and landing spot should be well lit as it is hard to land in the dark. Obstacles in the flight path should be scouted out during daylight hours. All things to consider. To me its just something I wanted to try but do not spend much time on it anymore.

Yeah I am not that interested in flying in the pitch dark. Mostly at or near sunset/sun rise. However sometimes keeping VLOS with the factory leds is hard at those times. Some places in the city are pretty well lit at night that may make for decent night shots but not many.

For sure brightness form highest to least is white, then red, then green, and then blue.
This was actually noted in some of the Firehouse ads, could have been resellers info.
Interesting enough, I read another post saying the green was easier to see. I think that may be subjective. But as for just 'by the numbers', all of the solid color models are 1000 lumens no matter which color. And all of the color changing lights are 800 lumens, even when they are in all white mode. Even in white mode, the color changing lights are 800 lumens. I got solid white for visibility (day and evening/night) and color changing for light painting with my A2S.

Like I said before, the light is bright but I do not use it for night flights anymore as I see no use for night flights. It now sits in my garden lighthouse blinding unsuspecting visitors.

Interesting enough, I read another post saying the green was easier to see. I think that may be subjective. But as for just 'by the numbers', all of the solid color models are 1000 lumens no matter which color. And all of the color changing lights are 800 lumens, even when they are in all white mode. Even in white mode, the color changing lights are 800 lumens. I got solid white for visibility (day and evening/night) and color changing for light painting with my A2S.

Thought it was on the FHT site somewhere . . .

"ARC" 2- Pack Drone LED Strobe Light For DJI, Autel, Parrot and other Quadcopters RC Plane

FHT site text . . .

Because of human eye's limitations, Every color has different visibility and energy transfer rate.

Also every LED color has different chemical compounds and efficiency. Thus use White or Red for FAA 107 for greatest range...other colors for Navigation

WHITE : The best visibility and efficiency.

RED : 2th in the visibility, efficiency is same as white but the best for warning.

GREEN 3th in the visibility and efficiency. Best for Standard RED/GREEN (Left/Right) navigation usage.

BLUE 4th in visibility and also efficiency. We are not suggesting this color for warning or navigation but special usage.

Edit - For interest, here is my ARCII Red / White combo, with each flashing, the photo shows just how much brighter the white is, and distance it is also more obvious.

IMG_4590.JPG IMG_4586.jpg

I'd say the white is pretty bright. It's bright enough to show the blood vessels in my hand!

Attachments

• 20210805_233739.jpg
    20210805_233739.jpg
    751.9 KB · Views: 3
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi