DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

new flyer in Western NC

rustysteel

Reactions
Been wanting a drone for years and finally picked up a Mavic Pro 2. Photography is a hobby of mine but the flying piece is new, although do have several hours in a Cessna 152, but this is a bit different. Hoping to learn from those with more experience on here, lurking has already been a big help in answering many of my questions.
Thanks all!

Hello and welcome to the forum and the hobby (aka addiction) of R/C flight.

I'm also in Western NC (over in Haywood County) so probably not too far from where you're located.

Hello and welcome to the forum and the hobby (aka addiction) of R/C flight.

I'm also in Western NC (over in Haywood County) so probably not too far from where you're located.
Awesome, thanks. Im in Hot Springs area so not too far.

Reactions: BigAl07
Awesome, thanks. Im in Hot Springs area so not too far.

Ahh we are neighbors. I get over there for a weekend or two each year and enjoy those "hot springs". It's a great place to really get away from civilization and recharge your internal batteries. I'm in downtown Waynesville (my office) but I live in the central most point of the universe, CLYDE. LOL

Ahh we are neighbors. I get over there for a weekend or two each year and enjoy those "hot springs". It's a great place to really get away from civilization and recharge your internal batteries. I'm in downtown Waynesville (my office) but I live in the central most point of the universe, CLYDE. LOL
Nice! I lived in Clyde for 2 years before moving to HS, I had enough of the papermill smell. My office is in N Asheville and the commute is well worth it. Let me know if youre out and about.
Id be interested in getting commercial cert, may be reaching out to you in the future if thats OK.

Hello rustysteel,

Welcome to the forum! I would suggest getting your part 107 certificate. It allows you to make money with your drone and opens up a lot of places for you to fly. The FAA has just come out with new regulations for hobbyists flying drones and it is limiting.
After you get your 107 certificate, and since you live in NC you’ll have to get the NC permit to fly and take pics/video. It’s not hard to take these tests, and will keep you out of trouble should an LEO make a stink about your operation. Not many LEOs know much about the regulations and that can be a hassle if one thinks he or she is knows better than you. It’s best to be prepared! Know where you can and cannot fly.
I was down in NC last week visiting family near Salisbury and flew my Mavic pro platinum down there. We went to Chimney Rock and Biltmore for some family fun.
Enjoy and fly safe!

Nice! I lived in Clyde for 2 years before moving to HS, I had enough of the papermill smell. My office is in N Asheville and the commute is well worth it. Let me know if youre out and about.

LOL! I grew up in Canton and literally our land bordered Champion property. We "over looked" the mill and I guess over the years just got used to the "Paper Mill Aroma". We grew up calling it the "Smell of $$" LOL.

Still once in a while when they clearn or change something and the "aroma" changes we are like "Uh oh.. that's different". LOL

This is an interesting music video written by an AMAZING local Blue Grass band (Balsam Range ) about the mill and my home town. It holds a very special place to me since almost every picture in this video I've walked, crawled, and/or ran through. Take the time to listen to the words as it tells a very accurate story of our "Paper Mill":

Id be interested in getting commercial cert, may be reaching out to you in the future if thats OK.
I'm always about trying to help others move up in this industry. I've been blessed to have some amazing people guide/mentor me over the years and I hope I can pay it forward to some degree. Yes feel free to reach out to me with any questions etc. I'll try to the best of my ability to help.

Allen

Very cool! I recognized a lot of the locations also. Yeah, my wife and I were never able to become "accustomed". LOL
Also interesting as my previous employment was with the railroad as a locomotive engineer. Because of that some of my photography is centered around capturing the stories of that industry. The drone is coming in handy for that.

I can smell a bbq in the not to distance future, hot topic, flying drones? @rustysteel and @BigAl07

Reminds me of the Aussie soap, neighbours...?

Welcome to the forum rustysteel, we have a search ? option, top right of page if needed?

Been wanting a drone for years and finally picked up a Mavic Pro 2. Photography is a hobby of mine but the flying piece is new, although do have several hours in a Cessna 152, but this is a bit different. Hoping to learn from those with more experience on here, lurking has already been a big help in answering many of my questions.
Thanks all!
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you all. Having lived in the mid-west where there are large, open areas with good VLOS, now living in the forested mountains has added to the learning curve! I have a lot of learning to do so the search function will come in handy.
Meanwhile I have gotten a chance to play a little and thought i would share one of my initial shots taken on my 4th flight. LOL135 Squaw Valley 05272019 2.jpg

I bet we’ll see a lot more of your photos in the “photo/video” section of the forum?

Nice photo btw?

Hello Rusty, Welcome to the forum. I'm in Georgia, the Peach State. Lots of drone operators in the Southeast areas.

Reactions: rustysteel
Thanks all!
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new M2P, Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome! I often travel to the Bryson City area to do some hiking and l like to fly around to get in some of the scenery.

that's some beautiful scenery over there :)

Reactions: rustysteel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum