DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New leaked DJI Action cam. Will you buy one?

Would you buy a DJI action cam?

• Yes but only if it meets or exceeds what GoPro offers.

• Yes, I would buy one despite what GoPro offers.

• No, I am happy with my GoPro and probably wont buy a DJI action cam.

• I dont have an action cam, and probably wont buy one despite what DJI comes out with.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Im getting ready for a new GoPro, my 4Black is becoming a little tired. Ill be looking into the new release to compliment the Pocket, but as action cams go the hero7 will take some beating if its not used for vlogging.

Reactions: Former Member
I have the new Hero7 Black. I wanted the Karma stabilizer also that sells for $299. A little research led me to GoPro's website and they sell refurbished Karma drones that come with the handheld stabilizer also for $299. So now I own a Karma drone also. It's big and bulky and compared to my MP it flies like a tank, but it's kind of fun and the controller it comes with is awesome.

I have the new Hero7 Black. I wanted the Karma stabilizer also that sells for $299. A little research led me to GoPro's website and they sell refurbished Karma drones that come with the handheld stabilizer also for $299. So now I own a Karma drone also. It's big and bulky and compared to my MP it flies like a tank, but it's kind of fun and the controller it comes with is awesome.
Which camera are you using it with?

The Karma drone doesn't even compare to a Mavic! It is fun though and I really like the controller. The screen is very bright and you can easily see it on a bright day. It's a pretty cool just turning the two on and going. No software/phone/ipad or whatever...just go.

Getting out my popcorn for this one. First GoPro tried to move into DJI's territory with the Karma. That didn't go so well. Now DJI is looking to move into the action cam market. Will it go any better? Always interesting to watch big companies spar for supremacy.

Reactions: Chip and fozzzy
Getting out my popcorn for this one. First GoPro tried to move into DJI's territory with the Karma. That didn't go so well. Now DJI is looking to move into the action cam market. Will it go any better? Always interesting to watch big companies spar for supremacy.
That scenario seems to happen a lot with cell phone providers. They keep trying to undercut each other and give away free phones, free upgrades, all sorts of things that benefit current and potential customers.

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
That scenario seems to happen a lot with cell phone providers. They keep trying to undercut each other and give away free phones, free upgrades, all sorts of things that benefit current and potential customers.
Sure! It's just big business in general. You've got to push into new markets to keep your revenues growing. Where it gets painful is when those new markets are outside your core competency. GoPro found out that making drones takes a whole different skill set than making action cameras. Weren't Karma's literally falling from the sky because of a hardware design flaw? All of those poor engineers lost their jobs when that experiment failed.

So, what I'm really curious about now is, how far outside of the drone competency space are action cams? DJI is very good at gimbal-stabilized cameras. Flying or otherwise. But does a lot of that translate well? Maybe so. Action cams seem easier. Certainly fewer moving parts, but I'm no expert. I guess we'll find out.

Sure! It's just big business in general. You've got to push into new markets to keep your revenues growing. Where it gets painful is when those new markets are outside your core competency. GoPro found out that making drones takes a whole different skill set than making action cameras. Weren't Karma's literally falling from the sky because of a hardware design flaw? All of those poor engineers lost their jobs when that experiment failed.

So, what I'm really curious about now is, how far outside of the drone competency space are action cams? DJI is very good at gimbal-stabilized cameras. Flying or otherwise. But does a lot of that translate well? Maybe so. Action cams seem easier. Certainly fewer moving parts, but I'm no expert. I guess we'll find out.

If action cams could ever get to the point where optical stabilization can exceed the performance of gyro stabilization, there would be no question about it. No moving parts vs many.

I have owned several go pro s.

Great customer service, even when out of warranty.

The current hero 7 black with voice commands is brilliant.

I must be the only early adopter on this panel. I got the ad for the Osmo Action camera this week and looked at their promotional video, and then, sufficiently inspired, I went to You Tube where, surprisingly, positive reviews had already been posted. I ordered one and it is being shipped directly from China by Fed Ex and has already been delivered to my local Fed Ex where I anticipate delivery early this week. I'll let you all know as soon as I get a chance to test it out. I plan to supplement videos to my films which already contain time lapse sequences and drone sequences as well as DSLR stills.

I do love my gopro 7 black. This camera looks like its pretty legit.. HOWEVER I think everyone is forgetting that you would have to deal with DJI customer service if anything went wrong. Love the product but truly some of the worst customer service and knowledge of product. Soooo I love my mavics but dang DJI is not set up for quality control or product knowledge, friendly, helpful customer service. Thats just my experience though

(Don't miss my GoPro purchase tip in the middle of my post)

We've got a big trip coming up and I was between Osmo Pocket and GoPro Hero 7. I like the stabilization of the Osmo, but the new stabilization algorithm on the Hero 7 Black seemed amazing (youtube reviews). We will be in the water some, so I was waiting for the Osmo waterproof case to materialize. . .it didn't. I finally decided to pull the trigger on the Hero 7. A couple of things pushed me over: the Hero 7 is ROBUST (I'm afraid I'd injure the Osmo and it's gimbal); The GoPro is intrinsically waterproof (no case needed up to 10 meters. . .safe for pool or snorkeling. . .can get a case if SCUBA is on the menu); GPH7 is same form factor since the GoPro Hero 4 which means the whole accessory eco-system made since that time (batteries, cases, mounts, etc) will work with the 7. . .this is a stroke of genius on GoPros part). This is awesome because there is great selection and competitive pricing (got a charger and two more batteries for like $25).

Side Tip: the GP Hero 7 white and silver versions don't have removable batteries. With the awesome touch screen on these cameras and 4k, these batteries have a fairly short life. . .you'll need a few to get you through a whole day, so not being able to switch them out is a killer. The White and Silver also don't have superwide (or whatever that feature is called) and hyperstabilization. For those reasons, I'd 100% recommend springing for the Hero 7 BLACK which does have all these features.

So, here's the GPH7 purchasing tip: I was going to do the deal where you turn in any old digital camera to GoPro and they give you $100 off (only caveat is that the camera you turn in has to have cost at least $100 when you bought it). BTW, if you've got an old digital camera laying around, this is still a good deal. I was having some issues with completing that deal on the GoPro website, so I did a chat with a customer service rep. During that chat, they asked me if I already own a GoPro. I said I do (I have an old Hero 3). They said, in that case, they can give me a "Customer Loyalty" code for $100 off purchase of the new Hero 7 black. They did not need the old GoPro or proof of purchase or any proof of ownership or anything like that. The rep sent me a code, I went to the GoPro website and made the purchase with the code and the price went from $399 to $299 (plus tax) at checkout. I feel like I got an awesome deal.

To complete my "kit" for our upcoming trip, I still wanted gimbal stabilization, but I wanted something that would work with our cell phones (honestly, your phone is the camera that you have with you most of the time and they are frankly awesome in terms of image quality at this point) as well as with the GoPro. After much research, I just received the Snoppa Atom Gimbal from Amazon and, I must say, I'm very impressed so far. If you get the kit I linked to, it comes with an adapter for the GoPro (as well as some other nice accessories like an external microphone and macro lense). Using the Android/iOS app, it seems to have many of the features that the Osmo has (when using with your phone) like object tracking, motion time lapse, etc. It folds up for travel and it even has inductive charging to charge your phone when it is mounted to the gimbal. All in all, I feel like I covered all the bases here.

Mine will arrive next Tuesday (probably Monday as FedEx has ALWAYS been a day early)

On my TBS Vendetta sports drone, when I switch on the go pro to watch on my phone, it knocks the drone out of the sky. Does it time after time, drone just stops working and it falls to the floor. Drone is very durable, but I stopped trying it, shame though

I've got several older Go-Pro cameras used when overlanding. At least they can take a pounding from rough travel while strapped to my vans front bumper or roof rack. The suspension is fairly stiff. I would wonder how this new DJI camera can handle bounding around, especially on bad washboard? For my needs the camera has to withstand a harsh environment. Being this is kind of new to DJI, I'll wait to see if they produce something worth it for me. My guess they will soon have a line of different cameras. When this happens (if it does) I hope different cameras use similar options such as mounts, cases, batteries and such.

051P.jpg

I bought one. It is Sunday night in Guam. It arrives in the morning. I will let you know how it works!!

Never had an action camera, never will probably so its, NO! I still have to do justice to my Osmo Pocket, which I really like despite its shortcomings (small sensor, low light problems, occasional heating issues, etc). It works perfectly with my iPad Mini 4 too. So what I invested in the tablet purely for drone flying is now seamlessly working with the Osmo Pocket. Perfect!

In a way, I'm disappointed DJI introduced another action cam into the market. I am sure it must be based on pretty sound market analyses and they must be hoping to make decent money but how big an improvement is it really over the Hero7? All that sudden hype while initial reviews suggest its really just fine margins here and there between the Hero7 and Osmo Action. So is price going to be the decisive factor that will tilt the balance towards DJI? Seems so.

I use a GoPro 4-5 times a week and am a dealer as well.

But I think DJI is definitely going after GoPro's market.

This is a very good review of the camera. It has as much to offer as the GP7 and a LOT more.

DJI ACTION CAM REVIEW

Like I said, we'll see tomorrow. Mine arrives via DHL.

I am going to get one. It checks some boxes for me, not sure if its better than the Hero7 that sounds like a solid camera.
The boxes it ticked for me are the following.
As I primarily use my gopro in the water, body surfing and spearfishing.

1. longer battery life. cant get out and change a battery with wet hands.
2. quick capture on my hero 6 takes a long time to start recording, but when I am spearfishing I need it to be faster.
Osmo action is supposed to be really fast
3. H.264 codex, my pc can edit and play my mavic air 4k footage fine. H.264 but not 4k from my gopro H.265
So I have only been using it in 1080p still good quality footage. But that codex kind of cripples the camera,
if I dont want to get a new pc. I could re encode the files but thats an extra step and more time.

Have not ordered yet, waiting for some underwater reviews and confirmation on the quick capture speed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser