DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Air2 pilot! working on part 107 studying...

wilmutiny3

Reactions
Hey guys! I'm not a new drone pilot, but new to Mavic Air 2. I've previously had the Mavic Mini, but finally upgraded. My air 2 arrives on Friday 3/12/21. I'm looking into getting my commercial license and have noticed there's a ridiculous amount of guides, videos and courses and possibly some new changes that came out this month? Does anyone have any recommendations on study guides? I think I'd prefer a book over a course, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, any recommendations on tips to make the most of my air 2?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland wilmutiny3.

I'm looking into getting my commercial license and have noticed there's a ridiculous amount of guides, videos and courses and possibly some new changes that came out this month? Does anyone have any recommendations on study guides?

I purchased this course as it's a one time fee and kept up to date.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum.

Gold Seal UAV Ground School is an excellent program. They are actual Flight Instructors who teach you the subject matter rather than teaching you how to pass the test. Also they offer a Discount Code for our forum members:
Save $25 with promo code "MavicPilots25" - - www.UAVGroundSchool.com

Lastly they are an Approved Vendor here to they help to make this forum FREE for the rest of us.

You may want to join over at our sister forum:

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching. ?

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum. As said by others there is a wealth of knowledge here and lots of folks willing to help.

I did the Part 107 on October 1st and didn't take any paid-for courses because they just aren't my thing. There are lots of free study guides and videos out there which can provide most of the information you need to pass the test. But I have one suggestion that always seems to work for me as, I am impatient to the point of being mildly ADHD and can't sit through boring videos longer than 5 minutes at a stretch.

There are many free pre-tests out there. I suggest you take one as you start off studying. Initially they will tell you what you're (more or less) expected to know. As you go along they will illustrate the holes in your knowledge so you can zero in on what you have to bone up on as you move toward your test date. I find it easier to learn the essentials when I know what's expected because there is so much information out there, much of which is inter-related, so knowing what I need to know I find is a great help. JMO

Hey guys! I'm not a new drone pilot, but new to Mavic Air 2. I've previously had the Mavic Mini, but finally upgraded. My air 2 arrives on Friday 3/12/21. I'm looking into getting my commercial license and have noticed there's a ridiculous amount of guides, videos and courses and possibly some new changes that came out this month? Does anyone have any recommendations on study guides? I think I'd prefer a book over a course, but I'm open to suggestions. Also, any recommendations on tips to make the most of my air 2?
Welcome to the forum from the beautiful mountains of Colorado! Happy and safe flying!

I have never used a course, just all the free stuff I could find on-line and the practice tests. I just passed my Part 107 test with an 82...good enough. The first time I took the test I barely passed with just a 70! The first time the test asked a lot of tough weather and chart reading questions. In the most recent test there were very few weather questions and only a few chart reading questions. There were more questions on pilot readiness and what I would call "safety" related questions. Just study hard, you won't be over prepared. Good luck!

Ok guys...
More than one of our members reached out to me as I was studying for my Part 107 and provided me with a ton of information and links. I did share them with another member via PM, but I think it may be worthwhile to post them here for whoever might possibly benefit from them. I'm not sure if my personal notes are included as I don't have time to look thru everything below. I made some study notes for myself in a Word doc, but I'm not sure how to attach them. If there is anything you want to read, cover to cover it probably is the FAA study guide. There are a lot of questions that they might throw at your which have no bearing on UAV's but you need to know. You'll also see in the practice tests that a few of the same inane questions pop up requring specific answers (i.e. "macho") that came straight from the FAA guide. Being able to answer those two or three silly questions can provide some headroom for mistakes on other tougher questions.

But here's what I wrorte in my PM...

I used a variety of sources, some YouTube/internet, the FAA study guide, the pilots forum and multiple tests. One of the members sent me a slew of links which I've copied and pasted for you. Yes, the Remote Pilot Prepware app is a good one and was the first practice test I took. What is helpful is to take multiple practice tests and copy/paste the questions you got wrong or don't know solidly- of course with the correct answers for next time. That will help you determine your strengths and whittle down your weaknesses. It really helped me. I was weak on weather reports and the darn test thru my SIX questions on reading and interpreting TAF reports, even focusing on UTC time. Also don't ignore the fixed wing stuff including runway designation, communications, landing patterns and runway protocol. Also study fixed wing loading, CG, stall speeds and load effects. I must have had 8 or 10 questions solely related to fixed wing flight. Pay particular attention to the FAA study guide. Some of the questions are a bit nebulous, and what they are looking for are answers/definitions directly from that guide. Pay attention to the difference between Risk managment and crew resource management and ADM (Aeronautical Decision Management). That stuff comes right out of the FAA study guide.

Free FAA Drone Pilot Test by King Schools
The FAA gives you 120 minutes to complete 60 questions on your actual test on: Loading and Performance, Airspace, Weather Minimums and Charts, Operations and Procedures, Weather, Risk Management, Regulations
www.kingschools.com
Gold Seal UAV Ground School | Pass your Part 107 Exam (explains why you got it wrong and how to get it right)

Free FAA Part 107 Drone Pilot Practice Test | TheDroneCoach.com
TheDroneCoach.com provides a free 60 question practice test to pass the FAA Part 107 Knowledge Exam. This free exam will help you receive your drone certification.

thedronecoach.com
Part 107 Practice Test » Aeronyde Corporation (great test and 94 questions)

FAA Part 107 Test Questions (65 Questions Explained) [2020] - (great study guide)

Free FAA Part 107 Practice Test & Ten Most Missed Questions (a little but good to look at study guide)

Free 60 Question Part 107 Example Practice Exam - 3D Insider (good study guide)

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf (offical study guide)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Gold Seal UAV Ground School is an excellent program. They are actual Flight Instructors who teach you the subject matter rather than teaching you how to pass the test. Also they offer a Discount Code for our forum members:
Save $25 with promo code "MavicPilots25" - - www.UAVGroundSchool.com

Lastly they are an Approved Vendor here to they help to make this forum FREE for the rest of us.

You may want to join over at our sister forum:
Thank you! I’ll go check that out.

Reactions: mrjohnc1
Ok guys...
More than one of our members reached out to me as I was studying for my Part 107 and provided me with a ton of information and links. I did share them with another member via PM, but I think it may be worthwhile to post them here for whoever might possibly benefit from them. I'm not sure if my personal notes are included as I don't have time to look thru everything below. I made some study notes for myself in a Word doc, but I'm not sure how to attach them. If there is anything you want to read, cover to cover it probably is the FAA study guide. There are a lot of questions that they might throw at your which have no bearing on UAV's but you need to know. You'll also see in the practice tests that a few of the same inane questions pop up requring specific answers (i.e. "macho") that came straight from the FAA guide. Being able to answer those two or three silly questions can provide some headroom for mistakes on other tougher questions.

But here's what I wrorte in my PM...

I used a variety of sources, some YouTube/internet, the FAA study guide, the pilots forum and multiple tests. One of the members sent me a slew of links which I've copied and pasted for you. Yes, the Remote Pilot Prepware app is a good one and was the first practice test I took. What is helpful is to take multiple practice tests and copy/paste the questions you got wrong or don't know solidly- of course with the correct answers for next time. That will help you determine your strengths and whittle down your weaknesses. It really helped me. I was weak on weather reports and the darn test thru my SIX questions on reading and interpreting TAF reports, even focusing on UTC time. Also don't ignore the fixed wing stuff including runway designation, communications, landing patterns and runway protocol. Also study fixed wing loading, CG, stall speeds and load effects. I must have had 8 or 10 questions solely related to fixed wing flight. Pay particular attention to the FAA study guide. Some of the questions are a bit nebulous, and what they are looking for are answers/definitions directly from that guide. Pay attention to the difference between Risk managment and crew resource management and ADM (Aeronautical Decision Management). That stuff comes right out of the FAA study guide.

Free FAA Drone Pilot Test by King Schools
The FAA gives you 120 minutes to complete 60 questions on your actual test on: Loading and Performance, Airspace, Weather Minimums and Charts, Operations and Procedures, Weather, Risk Management, Regulations
www.kingschools.com
Gold Seal UAV Ground School | Pass your Part 107 Exam (explains why you got it wrong and how to get it right)

Free FAA Part 107 Drone Pilot Practice Test | TheDroneCoach.com
TheDroneCoach.com provides a free 60 question practice test to pass the FAA Part 107 Knowledge Exam. This free exam will help you receive your drone certification.

thedronecoach.com
Part 107 Practice Test » Aeronyde Corporation (great test and 94 questions)

FAA Part 107 Test Questions (65 Questions Explained) [2020] - (great study guide)

Free FAA Part 107 Practice Test & Ten Most Missed Questions (a little but good to look at study guide)

Free 60 Question Part 107 Example Practice Exam - 3D Insider (good study guide)

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf (offical study guide)
Thank you! This is incredibly helpful!!

Reactions: mrjohnc1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98