DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Owner Leg Extension Issues

Comm1

Reactions
So I have been You tubing, reading forums on getting the Mavic all set up for when it came it. Well, it's here and I have two sets of leg extensions from two different manufacturers. Neither of them will go on to the left leg. The both fit on the right leg, I have shaved the inside of one of the extensions and it still won't budge. Man I know this is silly but it's also frustrating. Any body else have this issue?

Why would anyone use leg extensions on something that spends most of the time in the air, don't they cause extra drag also, why not a landing pad instead.

Reactions: Rbruz
Why would anyone use leg extensions on something that spends most of the time in the air, don't they cause extra drag also, why not a landing pad instead.
I use both extenders and a landing pad, every time - I like to keep that gimbal further off the ground, because sometimes we don't get to land on our pads. The extra drag is minimal on a camera platform that's not flying all that fast to begin with.

Because the mavic gets like once inch clearance. Do dust dirt grass sand bugs can all get up in that

Most front leg extenders has rubber near the top of where the Mavic legs to in to kind of "pinch" it -- holds fine - actually have to work to take it off!

I don't get people asking: "Why landing gear extenders?" The real question is WHY NOT landing gear extenders? They are cheap and provide an extra measure of protection. Mine even have spring legs so it will help soften a hard landing.

So I have been You tubing, reading forums on getting the Mavic all set up for when it came it. Well, it's here and I have two sets of leg extensions from two different manufacturers. Neither of them will go on to the left leg. The both fit on the right leg, I have shaved the inside of one of the extensions and it still won't budge. Man I know this is silly but it's also frustrating. Any body else have this issue?

Hello. New mavic onwer.
Exactly the same problem here! I use, well i wanted to use these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5D339B?tag=mavicpilots-20&pldnSite=1
but it seemed that the front left leg is a little bit thicker than the right one so as a result it doesn't fit. I've visited a seller, try it the leg extenders on a new mavic and they fit perfectly.
Contacted with dji online service. They told me to send a photo showing the issue ( they seemed to be familiar with this, manufacturer's issue, as they described it ) and then send them the mavic for a replacement but i really don't want to do that cause it will take a long time to get it back ( i own the mavic only for 1 1/2 month).
Also i asked my seller if we have the possibility JUST to change the front leg ( not the whole arm ) and he told me that this is not so simple cause it has some kind of antennas inside the leg. or just scratch the surface on the front left leg until it fit but i'm sorry, i will not do that on a $1500 machine.

For the time being i don't use the extenders, just a landing mat and really looking for a clear surface to take off and land. I'm also looking for other similar products online but with different fit system.
That's all for now.
If i'll find something i'll get back on this thread.

Of course i'm looking forward for your feedback
That's all for now.
Thank u all in advance for your answers.

bye.
George.

Last edited:
For the time being i don't use the extenders, just a landing mat and really looking for a clear surface to take off and land. I'm also looking for other similar products online but with different fit system.

Of course i'm looking forward for your feedback
That's all for now.
Thank u all in advance for your answers.

bye.
George.
Instead of sanding down the leg, how about opening up the inside of the leg extension, with a small file, sandpaper, Dremel tool or whatever? I understand your conundrum, but that's what I'd do.

Believe me, you'll come to love leg extensions (I have exactly the same model as you, and they are very nice); I never take mine off (my sling carrying bag has enough room to leave them on).

Instead of sanding down the leg, how about opening up the inside of the leg extension, with a small file, sandpaper, Dremel tool or whatever? I understand your conundrum, but that's what I'd do.

Believe me, you'll come to love leg extensions (I have exactly the same model as you, and they are very nice); I never take mine off (my sling carrying bag has enough room to leave them on).

I've tried that but didn't have the right tool for the job so i was worried about the outcome and i stopped. I mean that i didn't want to "over open" ( if i can use these words to explain u -sorry for my english - ) the inside of the leg extender. I'll give it a try for once more and i'll get back with the result.

The other thing that still bugging me: " Also i asked my seller if we have the possibility JUST to change the front leg ( not the whole arm ) and he told me that this is not so simple cause it has some kind of antennas inside the leg".
Is really an antenna under there? I haven't find anything about that online. keep looking though. Maybe i'll open that leg and have a look for my self.

For once more i really thank u all for your time reading my post and your feedback!
George.

Last edited:
I've tried that but didn't have the right tool for the job so i was worried about the outcome and i stopped. I mean that i didn't want to "over open" ( if i can use these words to explain u -sorry for my english - ) the inside of the leg extender. I'll give it a try for once more and i'll get back with the result.

The other thing that still bugging me: " Also i asked my seller if we have the possibility JUST to change the front leg ( not the whole arm ) and he told me that this is not so simple cause it has some kind of antennas inside the leg".
Is really an antenna under there? I haven't find anything about that online. keep looking though. Maybe i'll open that leg and have a look for my self.

For once more i really thank u all for your time reading my post and your feedback!
George.
While I haven't seen the insides of my Mavic, it is my understanding that the antennas are indeed in the front legs. It may just be the front left leg, or both - I'm not sure.

Yes, there are antennas in both front legs from my understanding (ever wonder where they were?), so I think the easiest, lowest-risk path to take is to open up the inside of the leg extender that won't quite fit. Like you, I wouldn't return it either just for that; there's a risk that you'll receive a refurb unit with a defect or other potential problems.

I assume the interference with the fit isn't extreme, right? Just enough to prevent full installation? A few dollars spent on the right tools to open it up inside is cheaper, easier and faster than sending in the Mavic. Based on my experience, I can promise it'll be worth it; the extension you chose is a good design.

And, are you SURE the size problem is the Mavic? Maybe the leg extension just had a problem in the mold and is too small inside.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31