DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic

Trini_MP

Reactions
Hey Guys,

So i am waiting on my new Mavic Pro to arrive; and i am reading much about this new update. When i get my new device; do you all recommend that I put the latest update or should i use an older version?

Depends on what you want to do. If you wish to fly without restrictions, then keeping the firmware (if it's a lower one) or rolling back to .700 is the preferred option. If you need to have the latest updated firmware with little to no benefit over older versions, with the possibility of screwing up the upgrade, then by all means, get the latest update. From what I can tell, DJI has added almost no "improvements" to recent firmware upgrades, and has only instituted more restrictions and screwed with other settings that many people were already happy with.

The real question you should be asking yourself is - "Why do I want to upgrade the firmware?" If you have a definitive answer to that specific question, then by all means, get the latest version. If you're not having problems with the version it came with out of the box, why mess with it? DJI has not added new "capabilities" through firmware upgrades past .700 and until they do, there's no real need to have the latest version (unless you're having issues with your current firmware). Do you upgrade the firmware on your television every time Sony releases a new version or with your stereo each time that Onkyo announces a firmware change? I doubt it. As long as your device is operating and performing as expected and no new "features" are added with firmware modifications, then there's no need to upgrade - other than to say that you have.

Reactions: Flycaster
what version does it come with out of the box?

When doing the upgrade; do i have the option to select which version i want installed?

Fly it with what comes on it from the factory first. you can always update later. Like the above poster stated, depends on what features you want?
The most stable versions are .400 and .700 for the AC.
I am still on .400 on the Mavic, and it work very fine thank you.
If I decide to buy the Goggles, I may have to bump to .700 on the AC.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
what version does it come with out of the box?

When doing the upgrade; do i have the option to select which version i want installed?

Using the latest DJI assistant you can only update to either .1000 or the latest .0000

I would also recommend sticking with whatever FW you get until you need something from the mavic that isn't possible with current FW

last 2 versions have 4 additional features with the latest app

What restrictions do you not like
What restrictions are there

I wouldn't say the fw you stated is the most stable just the most used by people modifying settings

Reactions: borzoiboy
Fly it with what comes on it from the factory first. you can always update later. Like the above poster stated, depends on what features you want?
The most stable versions are .400 and .700 for the AC.
I am still on .400 on the Mavic, and it work very fine thank you.
If I decide to buy the Goggles, I may have to bump to .700 on the AC.
Was on .0400, bought the goggles. Had issues wth some features, head tracking etc, so I reluctantly upgraded to .1000.
No problems or issues whatsoever. Full functionality of goggles now also.
I liver next to a class g airport, and no problems with NFZs either.

last 2 versions have 4 additional features with the latest app

What restrictions do you not like
What restrictions are there

I wouldn't say the fw you stated is the most stable just the most used by people modifying settings

Those "4 additional features" are in the app, not the firmware. Anyone with an updated DJI Go app has that same capability, irrespective of the firmware.

I do not like the NFZ restrictions, the restriction to be registered and signed in, the height restrictions, the restrictions on changing parameters, etc. Not that I violate or abuse them but the additional requirements/steps can be problematic at the worst possible times. Look at just such a post from yesterday: Unlocking no fly zone

You don't need to modify settings to want to fly with .700 or .400 - you only need not to wish to upgrade or have imposed restrictions on your Mavic that weren't there in the first place.

I liver next to a class g airport, and no problems with NFZs either.

Class G airspace is uncontrolled airspace, and thereby not a NFZ (yellow caution warning, not red). There is no restriction imposed by DJI on yellow areas, and therefore, you won't have problems with "NFZ"s, because you aren't located in one. The restrictions come with red areas (Class B, C, D, or E airspaces), some of which may or may not exist or even be active, may or may not be accurate, or may or may not comply with actual regulations (only what DJI has in its own database).

Class G airspace is uncontrolled airspace, and thereby not a NFZ (yellow caution warning, not red). There is no restriction imposed by DJI on yellow areas, and therefore, you won't have problems with "NFZ"s, because you aren't located in one. The restrictions come with red areas (Class B, C, D, or E airspaces), some of which may or may not exist or even be active, may or may not be accurate, or may or may not comply with actual regulations (only what DJI has in its own database).
I understand all this, but while on .0400, I had to self authorize in other than class G, and had plenty of issues. What has changed?

Congrats on your new mavic....
There so much I want to share from My mavic Pro Experience I've lived through in these 4 short Months
I think I will stay on topic ..
..............................Yes Do the latest firmware update

Please keep us updated there so much I want to share about mavic
The Do's and Don'ts if you will.
....Happy Mavic-ing......C

Reactions: Dragonfly
Don't get too brainwashed into staying on the firmware that came on the Mavic when purchased.
It might be OK for those insecure people or those that don't believe in company's improving their products for better or fixing bugs. All apps and programs get updates and bug fixes, apple iPhone, Android OS, Microsoft, so why not the Mavic.
Some people just scare Munger because they hear something and they think they know better than the maker of the product. If you want to be left behind in performance and enhancements and new modes like quickshots then leave it on old firmware, but also remember for the average person who doesn't alter or tinker with drones like some and exempt the risk take note that as a new drone owner and having warranty DJI will mnot cover your new investment or fix it unless it's updated with the new firmware should something go wrong.

I'm on the latest firmware and have had no issues at all. I've never had any issues updating or using any of the previous firmware either. It's usually best to upgrade to the latest firmware unless as others have noted you listen to those people who are scared the latest update will trash their Mavic or want to fly higher than most countries recommend or fly into restricted no fly zones - you'll need an earlier firmware version to 'enable' that. Don't listen to the scaremongers! The only thing I would suggest with each new update is to wait a few days for others to try it to hear if there are in fact any reported issues with it before performing the upgrade.

Reactions: Dragonfly
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpknight