DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Part 107 current training for 107 pilots. Info and question for Big Al

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I was going over the new rules, effective 4/21/2021 (aka 21 April 2021) and found there is some "recurrent training" that updates your 107 certificate after completing the online training. This is for 107 and 61 pilots. The site to access the info is Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov .

Now the question for Big Al or other training oficianados...
Upon reading the information it said that the recurrent training is valid for 24 months after completing it. The question then is: DOES COMPLETING THIS TRAINING EXTEND MY CERTIFICATE EXPIRATION ANOTHER 24 FROM DATE OF COMPLETION? My license was issued 1 Oct 2020, so if I read that statment correctly, rather than requiring recertification on Oct 2st 2022, were I to complete the traning on May 1st, would my certification then be valid without as retest until May 1 2022???

licenses time out at the end of the month plus 2 years from the time that they are issued not on the exact date they were issued plus 2 years ( that is a question you may get on your PPL exam BTW)

IMHO your are "current" until the end of the month two years from when you took the re-current test.

Your license never expires, it is up to you to stay current, in my case I was not current for Part 107, I re-currented on 4/6/2021, I need to re-test on or before 4/30/2023

Reactions: maggior
I was going over the new rules, effective 4/21/2021 (aka 21 April 2021) and found there is some "recurrent training" that updates your 107 certificate after completing the online training. This is for 107 and 61 pilots. The site to access the info is Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov .

Now the question for Big Al or other training oficianados...
Upon reading the information it said that the recurrent training is valid for 24 months after completing it. The question then is: DOES COMPLETING THIS TRAINING EXTEND MY CERTIFICATE EXPIRATION ANOTHER 24 FROM DATE OF COMPLETION? My license was issued 1 Oct 2020, so if I read that statment correctly, rather than requiring recertification on Oct 2st 2022, were I to complete the traning on May 1st, would my certification then be valid without as retest until May 1 2022???

It would extend your currency to May 31, 2023.

Reactions: maggior
It would extend your currency to May 31, 2023.
I want to learn about the new rules and if I can postpone a retest for 8 months I'm good with that.

I started researching the new rules to see if I can in fact fly over people on a project I'm working on. I'm not finshed yet and am a bit vague on one rule. The group I will be filming will be in a segregated area not open to the public and all participants will be made aware of a drone flying overhead. I'll use my Mini 2 with lightweight prop guards for laceration protection and hope this will be legal. If not, I'll have to make sure I'm not directly overhead unless transitioning. I've got to learn more specifics on the new rules, so I guess just doing the recurrent training will kill two birds with one stone, especially with new rules that I need to be more familiar with.

FWIW I'm still not keen on how they implemented RID . I'd be ok if law enforcement could see where *I* was located while flying, but feel I will have a target on my back as the public can locate me. IMO the one thing that the FAA didn't take into consideration is how much attention is drawn away from flight operations when one has to increase situational awareness to be able to identify potential threats to be able to avoid or prepare to deal with bad guys. If one is flying in a metropolitan area, what better target than someone who has both hands occupied with a cell phone or tablet, prime theft booty, in plain sight for the taking????

I want to learn about the new rules and if I can postpone a retest for 8 months I'm good with that.

I started researching the new rules to see if I can in fact fly over people on a project I'm working on. I'm not finshed yet and am a bit vague on one rule. The group I will be filming will be in a segregated area not open to the public and all participants will be made aware of a drone flying overhead. I'll use my Mini 2 with lightweight prop guards for laceration protection and hope this will be legal. If not, I'll have to make sure I'm not directly overhead unless transitioning. I've got to learn more specifics on the new rules, so I guess just doing the recurrent training will kill two birds with one stone, especially with new rules that I need to be more familiar with.

FWIW I'm still not keen on how they implemented RID . I'd be ok if law enforcement could see where *I* was located while flying, but feel I will have a target on my back as the public can locate me. IMO the one thing that the FAA didn't take into consideration is how much attention is drawn away from flight operations when one has to increase situational awareness to be able to identify potential threats to be able to avoid or prepare to deal with bad guys. If one is flying in a metropolitan area, what better target than someone who has both hands occupied with a cell phone or tablet, prime theft booty, in plain sight for the taking????

The ability to fly over people per 107.39 won't be available for a while, because even Category 1 requires certified RID as described in 89.110 and 89.115, and those certifications don't exist yet. And they don't actually require the new recurrent training anyway.

What it does buy you is operation at night, under 107.29.

Reactions: maggior and BigAl07
@vindibona1 you're out of luck in regards to OOP even if you have everyone's permission, signed release forms, notifications etc. Here's why:

A) You're intending to fly over an "assembly" of people....
B) Even with Lightweight Propgards your Mini2 is over the 250gr MAX weight for Cat-1

Here are the requirements for Cat-1

****************************************************************************************************
Ops over People, Category 1:

The PIC must use an aircraft that:

•Weighs less than 250g (.55 lbs.), and
•Contains no “exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being”.
•There are no manufacturer requirements for Declaration of Compliance. It will be incumbent upon the PIC to make sure the UAS qualifies.
•No sustained flights over open air assemblies w/o RID (groups, concerts, construction sites, etc.).

****************************************************************************************************

If you only intended to fly over a couple/few people you AND your aircraft fell under the 250gr weight limit you "might" get away with it. But, in order to be legal you have to meet ALL the requirements noted above in your situation.

RID won't be LIVE until 2023 so that hurdle is going to be in place for a while.

The ability to fly over people per 107.39 won't be available for a while, because even Category 1 requires certified RID as described in 89.110 and 89.115, and those certifications don't exist yet. And they don't actually require the new recurrent training anyway.

What it does buy you is operation at night, under 107.29.
This is incorrect.

The only time you need RID for 107.39 is when you're flying "sustained flights over open air assemblies".

At the moment there are very few Category 1 drones, but they do exist. And they can be flown over people.

This is incorrect.

The only time you need RID for 107.39 is when you're flying "sustained flights over open air assemblies".

At the moment there are very few Category 1 drones, but they do exist. And they can be flown over people.

That's exactly what the question appeared to describe - sustained flight over an open-air assembly of people. Did you read it differently?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190