DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot - Disappointed

That touches my heart every time I see that picture... thank god it wasn’t one inch higher when it hit him.
The one I kept on my mini to see before I flew
download.jpg and yeah it makes you think .

Reactions: ac0j
Rules exist to follow them or break them. Breaking is more fun.
Keep other peoples safety on your mind, thats all.

Reactions: eek
In the US, drones are to stay below 400'

At the risk of starting a messy flamewar, I have genuine doubts about the statement above. As a part 107 pilot, you can't fly over 400'. As a recreational pilot flying under Public Law 112-95 Sec 336 (c) (2), there are no AGL limits. If I look at AMA (nationally recognized community organization which fills the requirements of Sec. 336) they have no AGL limits. Reading further into the AMA's safety documentation I find:

In 1981 FAA Advisory Circular AC 91-57 advised that model aircraft not exceed altitudes of 400ft. At this time there is no FAA regulation/rule preventing model aircraft from flying above 400’ AGL. (emphasis mine)

So, the FAA doesn't limit it, the AMA doesn't limit it, so I'm not sure why everyone keeps saying 400' is the limit? It's not. The real limit is VLOS. If you can see it, you're legal, if you are flying under Sec. 336. At 400' my MP is pretty small, but definitely visible. I haven't tried seeing how high I can go before I start to lose sight of it...yet.

Now you could fly Part 107 and get a waiver to fly BVLOS, but then you're limited to 400', and I've only seen one waiver for flying above 400' and it was insanely restrictive, i.e. file a NOTAM the day before you fly, etc. BVLOS waivers are also similarly onerous, and I've only seen them granted to companies.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929