DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot in Bellvue, Colorado

Welcome to the forum! If you need any product support or help, please do not hesitate to let us know. Also, we would like to offer you a 5% discount on our online store: www.FloridaDroneSupply.com - Use Code: NEWFORUMPILOT at checkout! Have a great day!

*Discount does not apply to DJI Enterprise Drones.

Welcome aboard.

I am also wondering if I might eventually need to buy a Mavic 3 in order to get the clarity and detail on close up photos I want when inspecting building damage.
I also read where a Mavic 2 Zoom might be nice to pickup in order to get some highly detailed closeup photos.
Mavic 2 Zoom isn't even on same continent and barely on same planet with Mavic 3.

It wouldn't have that greatly better detail than just cropping from main camera of Mavic 3.
And that tiny 12MP sensor of Mavic 2 Zoom is just plain outdated.
So image quality falls fast in less than optimal light further lowering difference to cropped Mavic 3 image.
(can't wait for perfect lightning if doing work imaging)

Mavic 3's tele camera takes it to another level.
Mavic 2 no longer impressive Zoom:
Review: DJI Mavic 2 Zoom and Pro drones present an agonizing choice
Vs Mavic 3:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/dji-mavic-3-review-1-of-21.jpg
https://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/dji-mavic-3-review-4-of-21.jpg

So pretty certain Mavic 3 could do more in single flight than two Mavic 2 Zoom flights.
Especially if you maintain strict VLOS.

Welcome aboard.

Mavic 2 Zoom isn't even on same continent and barely on same planet with Mavic 3.

It wouldn't have that greatly better detail than just cropping from main camera of Mavic 3.
So image quality falls fast in less than optimal light further lowering difference to cropped Mavic 3 image.

Vs Mavic 3:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/dji-mavic-3-review-1-of-21.jpg
https://www.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/dji-mavic-3-review-4-of-21.jpg

So pretty certain Mavic 3 could do more in single flight than two Mavic 2 Zoom flights.
Thank you!

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Welcome aboard.

Vs Mavic 3:

Do you have any tips on how I could take the highest quality close-up photos with the Air2S? When I say “closeup” I mean - I am trying to see the fine details in something on a building roof as small as 1” x 1”.

Thank you!

Do you have any tips on how I could take the highest quality close-up photos with the Air2S? When I say “closeup” I mean - I am trying to see the fine details in something on a building roof as small as 1” x 1”.
If camera doesn't have longer focal length/narrow field of view lens, then camera has to be simply moved closer until wanted detail level is achieved.

That puts more limits to drone's position to get the images and can stretch VLOS requirement in environment with obstacles.
Not to forget more collision risks if power lines of the area are like spider's web...
In windy weather that closer distance also increases risks from mechanical turbulence caused by obstacles.

And if you have more area/places to inspect need to fly drone closer to them also eats into flight time reserve/causes possible need for more flights.
Would rate Air 2S for about 20 minutes of air time when leaving some safety margin.
(+being more gentle on batteries to get longer life out of them)

If camera doesn't have longer focal length/narrow field of view lens, then camera has to be simply moved closer until wanted detail level is achieved.

That puts more limits to drone's position to get the images and can stretch VLOS requirement in environment with obstacles.
Not to forget more collision risks if power lines of the area are like spider's web...
In windy weather that closer distance also increases risks from mechanical turbulence caused by obstacles.

And if you have more area/places to inspect need to fly drone closer to them also eats into flight time reserve/causes possible need for more flights.
Would rate Air 2S for about 20 minutes of air time when leaving some safety margin.
(+being more gentle on batteries to get longer life out of them)
We often need to inspect portions of a building that although accessible somehow, are somewhat risky to gain access to in person. In these areas a visual line of site is usually not possible. I have taken obstacle avoidance off and have practiced taking pictures of flowers in my wife’s flower garden, and I can get some pretty amazing close apps with the Air2S. However, if I change the requirement to “on top of a building” and on a building that I am not intimately acquainted with, hovering a few feet above the area being photographed sounds risky. However, if it were a Mavic 3 performing this task it seems like the M3 could be above the surface 10 feet or so and get the same quality of close-up photos, does that sound about right?

It's entirely different thing to fly close to objects/obstacles in familiar environment and when being able to monitor from close range than control drone from longer range in unfamiliar, hard to maintain VLOS, environment.
Especially with obstacle avoidance disabled it would be easy to crash drone into something even with VLOS.

Wouldn't want to lose VLOS in such situations.
At least unless it's single flat/simple shape roof building without surrounding buildings/wings/constructions and different roof levels.
(industrial environments would be nightmarish)

And unless weather is calm turbulence ups risks lot.
Because of usually being both figuratively and literally as unaerodynamic as brick, buildings cause easily lots of very strong turbulence.

Also from legal perspective loss of VLOS would be whole container shipload of worms.

Here's some comparison of Mavic 3 and Mavic 2 Zoom:
Anything else than "1x" and "7x" are crops not actually capturing any new information/detail.
From main camera image in between them and from tele camera image when above 7x.
But that cropping is very usefull for seeing details from small screen when flying.

accessible somehow, are somewhat risky to gain access to in person

If you are going to be flying in places that are "accessible but, are somewhat risky to gain access to in person", then you need to practice flying more "at risk" than scaring the daisies in your wife's garden.

You have got to get "sweaty", fly it in your house or business, down hallways, FPV only… Fly into closets, turn around, fly out… Fly under a desk, fly out, again all FPV, Fly into and out of your car or truck (FPV)… remember, your drone cannot look up so flying vertical (as in going from the first to the third floor…) FPV is more luck than skill…

When you do any of this, you do it really, really slowly, a few feet at a time, stop, Yaw 360 degrees, slowly, looking for obstacles, raise and lower your camera.

Flying inside a structure, means that you probably will be flying Atti Mode with no GPS. That means if you are flying in a breeze, that breeze will carry the drone along with it… Also, flying in confined spaces means that walls "suck" drones into them if you get too close. It all has to do with the Aerodynamics of thermodynamics (the difference of sucking and blowing…")

Remember when our troops went into Osama bin Laden's compound, the helicopter that landed inside that confined space with walls all around, could not take off again. The Seals, along with the flight crew and everything else, (the body…) we took from the compound had to be evacuated in separate helicopters that landed outside the compound and we had to blow up the helicopter since it could not be recovered…

One final thought, when you inspect portions of a build that may not have seen the light of day for a long time, that area will be dirty and dusty. You Drone has a lot of Prop Wash, don't believe me, lift off and hover 6-12 inches higher than your head and then stand under it. Try flying it a few feet over a pile of sawdust…

And you will probably want to buy a light to illuminate the path, you might not think it's too dark to crawl around in that confined space, but your camera may not pick up enough light to fly FPV…

Good Luck and leave those flowers for your wife to pick…

If you are going to be flying in places that are "accessible but, are somewhat risky to gain access to in person", then you need to practice flying more "at risk" than scaring the daisies in your wife's garden.

You have got to get "sweaty", fly it in your house or business, down hallways, FPV only… Fly into closets, turn around, fly out… Fly under a desk, fly out, again all FPV, Fly into and out of your car or truck (FPV)… remember, your drone cannot look up so flying vertical (as in going from the first to the third floor…) FPV is more luck than skill…

When you do any of this, you do it really, really slowly, a few feet at a time, stop, Yaw 360 degrees, slowly, looking for obstacles, raise and lower your camera.

Flying inside a structure, means that you probably will be flying Atti Mode with no GPS. That means if you are flying in a breeze, that breeze will carry the drone along with it… Also, flying in confined spaces means that walls "suck" drones into them if you get too close. It all has to do with the Aerodynamics of thermodynamics (the difference of sucking and blowing…")

Remember when our troops went into Osama bin Laden's compound, the helicopter that landed inside that confined space with walls all around, could not take off again. The Seals, along with the flight crew and everything else, (the body…) we took from the compound had to be evacuated in separate helicopters that landed outside the compound and we had to blow up the helicopter since it could not be recovered…

One final thought, when you inspect portions of a build that may not have seen the light of day for a long time, that area will be dirty and dusty. You Drone has a lot of Prop Wash, don't believe me, lift off and hover 6-12 inches higher than your head and then stand under it. Try flying it a few feet over a pile of sawdust…

And you will probably want to buy a light to illuminate the path, you might not think it's too dark to crawl around in that confined space, but your camera may not pick up enough light to fly FPV…

Good Luck and leave those flowers for your wife to pick…
Thank you - great advice!

Hello everyone! My name is Steve and I have owned my Air2s for about 4 days now and I love it!
  1. Im own a construction company here in Colorado and have been thinking about buying a drone for several years now but just never got around to it until now. I think the requirement to obtain the Small Unmanned Airman license was one main thing that put me off.
  2. I studied for the part 107 beginning about 4 weeks ago and passed it two weeks ago! Hallelujah, not as bad as I thought!
  3. I initially ordered a "renewed" Air2s Fly More Combo with Smart Controller from Amazon but I had to send it back as the (RC Pro) controller that came in the package had a calibration error in the joysticks that could not be fixed without sending back to DJI - I called DJI tech support but one of the joysticks was faulty - it even felt very stiff and resistant. I imagine this was why Amazon had it in their "renewed" inventory - someone had already sent it back before because of a faulty controller.
  4. The good - I almost had an RC Pro controller!
  5. The Bad - I had to send it back. Oh well
  6. Fast forward - I then ordered an "Air2s Fly More Combo with Smart Controller" from Best Buy and received it Wednesday of last week and the setup went without a hitch!
  7. I mainly ordered the drone in order to conduct building inspections (from the ground )in those situations where it is difficult (even dangerous) to get onto the roof(s) for an inspection.
  8. The past few days I have been practicing building photo and video inspections using my own house as a test subject and I think it is going to work great!
  9. I also have on order Mini 3 Pro Fly More with RC Controller - I have 2 additional employees studying for the part 107 and I plan to equip them with a drone to assist intheir inspection work.
  10. I also ordered an RC Pro controller for all the reasons I have been reading about on this forum.
  11. I am also wondering if I might eventually need to buy a Mavic 3 in order to get the clarity and detail on close up photos I want when inspecting building damage.
  12. I also read where a Mavic 2 Zoom might be nice to pickup in order to get some highly detailed closeup photos.
I have learned a ton from this forum already and I thank all of you experienced and seasoned pilots here for sharing your very valuable knowledge and experience!

Steve
Welcome to the forum from the mountains of Estes Park, Colorado! Always good to see a fellow Coloradoan on here! Happy and safe flying!

Welcome to the forum. I'm down in the Springs, maybe we can get together for some flight time. I will PM you with my contact info.

Hello everyone! My name is Steve and I have owned my Air2s for about 4 days now and I love it!
  1. Im own a construction company here in Colorado and have been thinking about buying a drone for several years now but just never got around to it until now. I think the requirement to obtain the Small Unmanned Airman license was one main thing that put me off.
  2. I studied for the part 107 beginning about 4 weeks ago and passed it two weeks ago! Hallelujah, not as bad as I thought!
  3. I initially ordered a "renewed" Air2s Fly More Combo with Smart Controller from Amazon but I had to send it back as the (RC Pro) controller that came in the package had a calibration error in the joysticks that could not be fixed without sending back to DJI - I called DJI tech support but one of the joysticks was faulty - it even felt very stiff and resistant. I imagine this was why Amazon had it in their "renewed" inventory - someone had already sent it back before because of a faulty controller.
  4. The good - I almost had an RC Pro controller!
  5. The Bad - I had to send it back. Oh well
  6. Fast forward - I then ordered an "Air2s Fly More Combo with Smart Controller" from Best Buy and received it Wednesday of last week and the setup went without a hitch!
  7. I mainly ordered the drone in order to conduct building inspections (from the ground )in those situations where it is difficult (even dangerous) to get onto the roof(s) for an inspection.
  8. The past few days I have been practicing building photo and video inspections using my own house as a test subject and I think it is going to work great!
  9. I also have on order Mini 3 Pro Fly More with RC Controller - I have 2 additional employees studying for the part 107 and I plan to equip them with a drone to assist intheir inspection work.
  10. I also ordered an RC Pro controller for all the reasons I have been reading about on this forum.
  11. I am also wondering if I might eventually need to buy a Mavic 3 in order to get the clarity and detail on close up photos I want when inspecting building damage.
  12. I also read where a Mavic 2 Zoom might be nice to pickup in order to get some highly detailed closeup photos.
I have learned a ton from this forum already and I thank all of you experienced and seasoned pilots here for sharing your very valuable knowledge and experience!

Steve
I researched and got the Mavic 2 Pro NOT the zoom because the M2P has a much better camera in the Hasselblad 1" sensor. I am really glad I did as the videos are amazing. Remember while flying you can lock onto the POI (point of interest) and fly towards it which is the same as zoom but with a better camera. Also remember that only optical zoom matters not digital. The Zoom has 2X optical and 2X digital. You can use digital zoom in any post editor to do the same thing.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS