DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot-Near dMv( Maryland/Prince George’s County)

Marquezdb

Reactions
New Pilot, I purchased Mavic Pro Platinum In 2019 and returned it due to all of the restrictions in the DMV. I’m trying it out again now with more optimism, Any areas in Maryland just outside of the 15-30 miles of Reagan National, (just outside/inside PG county that are worth visiting to fly? I do not want to have to drive 45 minutes to fly.. only if I must.

Also: I know about the 15-30 Mile zone, how can I request to fly in that area? Otherwise, I’ll be driving near the outskirts of Baltimore/ or near Fort Meade..
I just want an efficient site that isn’t over 40 minutes of driving from Hyattsville, MD...

Last edited:
New Pilot, I purchased Mavic Pro Platinum In 2019 and returned it due to all of the restrictions in the DMV. I’m trying it out again now with more optimism, Any areas in Maryland just outside of the 15-30 miles of Reagan National, (just outside/inside PG county that are worth visiting to fly? I do not want to have to drive 45 minutes to fly.. only if I must.

Also: I know about the 15-30 Mile zone, how can I request to fly in that area? Otherwise, I’ll be driving near the outskirts of Baltimore/ or near Fort Meade..
I just want an efficient site that isn’t over 40 minutes of driving from Hyattsville, MD...

I fly in Bowie, which is within the 15-30 SFRA. Just follow their rule: Washington, DC

My issues while picking a location to fly is trying to get local regulations about drone. Most federal and state parks do not allow take off, land, or operate the drone for recreational purposes. However, they allow it for commercial use by requesting a permit. That is just inside the park. You can take off from outside the park and fly above it with no problems. Just stay away from government buildings like towers.

Now, it taking off outside the park, like from the city sidewalk, you need to check city regulations. Most of this local regulation is to take off, land, or operatate not close to city government buildings.

As you can see, it is ok to fly within the 15-30 SFRA. The hard part is getting thru all local red tape.

FYI: you can fly within the 0-15 SFRA but it has to be for commercial use and cleared by TSA (background check). It is **** difficult but it can be done.

Reactions: Hauptmann

How about up near tidelphia reservoir

Reactions: Hauptmann
Hello I’m new to the drone world I’m in the Annapolis area. What would u recommend for a most budget friendly but best functional drone that won’t break the bank lol

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo