DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New terrified pilot

Raos

Reactions
Thanks for having me in the group. I am a very new pilot and kind of terrified every time I fly. I have only had my MA2 for a few days and flown 3 or 4 times. When I first got it I charged up the batteries and by the time it was ready it was dark out. I couldn't wait and took it to a local baseball field that has lights to try it out. It was a blast, but I could tell there is a bit of a learning curve. I was out for about 30 minutes and then went home. The next day I took it out first thing in the morning and after the drone being in the air for 30 seconds (enough time for me to get some height) I got a warning that the batteries were empty and it was RTM immediately. All the batteries were charged fully (including the remote and my phone) so I did not understand what was happening. I freaked out and panicked and the drone ended up going right into a tree about 30 feet off the ground. It dropped and completely broke the gimbal. I was able to get a replacement drone so all is good, but it has made me very nervous to fly. I know I will get more comfortable eventually, but I was wondering how long it took everyone here to get comfortable flying for the first time.

Thanks for having me in the group. I am a very new pilot and kind of terrified every time I fly. I have only had my MA2 for a few days and flown 3 or 4 times. When I first got it I charged up the batteries and by the time it was ready it was dark out. I couldn't wait and took it to a local baseball field that has lights to try it out. It was a blast, but I could tell there is a bit of a learning curve. I was out for about 30 minutes and then went home. The next day I took it out first thing in the morning and after the drone being in the air for 30 seconds (enough time for me to get some height) I got a warning that the batteries were empty and it was RTM immediately. All the batteries were charged fully (including the remote and my phone) so I did not understand what was happening. I freaked out and panicked and the drone ended up going right into a tree about 30 feet off the ground. It dropped and completely broke the gimbal. I was able to get a replacement drone so all is good, but it has made me very nervous to fly. I know I will get more comfortable eventually, but I was wondering how long it took everyone here to get comfortable flying for the first time.
Welcome, from New Smyrna Beach

How did the drone go right in to a tree?

If it truly was fully charged then lost power in 30 seconds, that's a defect which should be covered under warranty. If you want a third party opinion on what happened before turning into DJI, you can have the logs analyzed by some of us here. There's a thread on how to submit logs.

Even on low battery, it should usually not fly into a tree on RTH if RTH height is properly set.
Exception might be where RTH engaged too close (within 60ft) of home point (usually launch point) where it either lands where is, or heads home at current altitude.
Other reason is if battery was detected critical, where it will land where is, which could be over a tree.

If you don't have it yet, obtain the full manual from DJI website and read it completely. Practice in wide open fields so you can make mistakes and not crash into anything.

Hi Raos,

Welcome here!

Do sent your logs to this forum, there are guys here that can unravel the technical data and explain what happened.
Understanding what went wrong is the first step in loosing your fear and enjoying your beautiful new hobby!

I can give you a tip: first practice your flying skills maximum 30 feet high in an open field ie no tree's!
Learn to fly some figure 8 forwards and backwards.
Also check out the website www.tomstechtime.com
He is a German airline pilot and also very skilled drone pilot.
He has a number of tutorials you can watch.

It gave me a lot of knowledge and also self confidence.

Success!

Ruudf

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

If it truly was fully charged then lost power in 30 seconds, that's a defect which should be covered under warranty. If you want a third party opinion on what happened before turning into DJI, you can have the logs analyzed by some of us here. There's a thread on how to submit logs.

Even on low battery, it should usually not fly into a tree on RTH if RTH height is properly set.
Exception might be where RTH engaged too close (within 60ft) of home point (usually launch point) where it either lands where is, or heads home at current altitude.
Other reason is if battery was detected critical, where it will land where is, which could be over a tree.

If you don't have it yet, obtain the full manual from DJI website and read it completely. Practice in wide open fields so you can make mistakes and not crash into anything.
Thanks. The drone was already returned and replaced. They told me they think there was an issue with the battery.

Hi Raos,

Welcome here!

Do sent your logs to this forum, there are guys here that can unravel the technical data and explain what happened.
Understanding what went wrong is the first step in loosing your fear and enjoying your beautiful new hobby!

I can give you a tip: first practice your flying skills maximum 30 feet high in an open field ie no tree's!
Learn to fly some figure 8 forwards and backwards.
Also check out the website www.tomstechtime.com
He is a German airline pilot and also very skilled drone pilot.
He has a number of tutorials you can watch.

It gave me a lot of knowledge and also self confidence.

Success!

Ruudf
Thanks. Those are great tips that I will start using right away. I will also check out that link. I appreciate you posting that!

Well, coming from a rc plane background I was surprised how long it took for me to fly above 100 ft then 150 ft, and then how long it took to fly to the edge of VLOS. Now I typically fly at 390 ft without giving it a second thought. My point is it takes time to learn to trust yourself as well and the drone software and your ability to control it at distance. As a wise man here stated to me, oh 8 months or so ago, fly low and slow.?
BTW welcome to the world of drones.
P.S. If you know anyone with a large yard or farm it will boost your confidence big time, it worked for me. Also fly in calm winds to start.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann in North Texas!

T
he MA2 is a great machine with a great camera. Lots of cool stuff to shoot in the US of A.

Read the manual (link below), and be conservative at first. Practice using "Find My Drone". Don't wait until you lose your MA2 before you try to learn how to find it. We have over 120,000 members world wide to help you advance as a pilot and photographer. Ask for help when you need it. Share your work when you can.

Thanks for joining!

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Air_2/20200615/Mavic_Air_2_User_Manual_v1.2_en_.pdf

Hi, Raos! I want to welcome you to the forums. Congratulations on your new drone. You can look forward to a lot of wonderful adventures and fantastic experiences in the world of droning.
These forums are a two way street. You can easily gain help and insight into various problems you may experience and you can also share your experiences and technical knowledge with us as well.

I would like to guide you toward the FAA.GOV web pages and in particular the area called DRONEZONE. It is here that many questions about legal responsibilities can be answered. Areas such as drone registration, VLOS, Safety procedures, etc, etc. The website is chock full of valuable data. All designed to help a pilot become the best pilot s/he knows.
There are many wonderful web sites to visit to help you improve your skills and abilities. You may even be able to find some resources locally. The manual that came with your drone is an excellent start. You’ve already experienced your first mishap and and did not let that end your flying career. Kudos! There are many things to learn and I urge you to take your time learning. But do learn, nonetheless! There should be some tutorials you can load to help practice with. Or, you may practice things on your own. Simply learn take off and landing, and simple maneuvers for example. Later combine your lessons with your experience.
I urge you to search the forum areas to see what experiences others have had, be they good or not so good! They were experiences nonetheless! Most have purchased their drone for a photo/video graphic experience. I did! I enjoy the hobby very much!
Again, before this becomes far, far too long, welcome to the forums. Please feel free to explore, ask question, and provide responses or simply add to the input. I wish you the very best.

R,
Jeffrey

Welcome to the forum. Your battery problem was not something you are likely to encounter again. open area...no spectators..no trees..stay low and fly a box type procedure..slowly . that beginner mode is on the drone for a very good reason.

Learn how to fly the same way you learned how to walk...baby steps... one step at a time. Put it on tripod or beginner mode to insure no super fast wrong movements. Go to a large open field with no trees or buildings. Lift off about 15 ft off the ground and practice horizontal flight in all directions until your comfortable with the sticks. BTW I think being terrified is a good thing. And normal, until you have about 100? hrs of experience.

Welcome from just south of Houston Texas. I cut my teeth on "toy grade" drones like the Skyvipers ( i still have 4 or 5 of them) but also trashed a few. if your batteries are discharging that quickly you might want to see what the setting for the batteries are at. I have mine set to discharge after 5 days. I used to keep them full and always topped them off but after having a few swell i will charge what i need the night before.

For learning as most have stated, find a treeless field and practice, practice, practice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_