DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones

Welcome and congratulations.
Your photography skills will quickly translate into a whole 'nother experience with your drone. The M3C is a good starting platform IMO as you will want from nothing as this is an extraordinarily capable drone.

You mentioned amateur photographer... Have you done much video shooting? So much to say about how drones can push photographers into the video world.

Eons of experience on this forum which I know you will enjoy. Good luck on your first flights.

EDIT!
Something that you might want to be aware of, is that in terms of accessories you may want to attach strobes to your drone to help keep your eye on it while it is in the sky as well as the orientation so you know which direction it's pointing in. If you fly at night strobes are required.

To get started, I recommend the Vifly strobes because of their flexibility and price. You can buy a set of three for around $40 while the best single strobe out there is the Firehouse Arc V, but they start at $35 each. ViFly strobes can be had individually for about $15 each. I own several of each and wouldn't fly without the strobes. JMO
ViFly 3 pack strobes

Last edited:
Hello from the Crossroads of America Mike P.

Nice to meet you Mike. 🤝

If you haven't done it yet, swing by the FAA to register the aircraft.

FAADroneZone

You should take the TRUST test as well and keep a copy with you when you fly.

It's a free, no fail test that's easy to take.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome and congratulations.
Your photography skills will quickly translate into a whole 'nother experience with your drone. The M3C is a good starting platform IMO as you will want from nothing as this is an extraordinarily capable drone.

You mentioned amateur photographer... Have you done much video shooting? So much to say about how drones can push photographers into the video world.

Eons of experience on this forum which I know you will enjoy. Good luck on your first flights.

EDIT!
Something that you might want to be aware of, is that in terms of accessories you may want to attach strobes to your drone to help keep your eye on it while it is in the sky as well as the orientation so you know which direction it's pointing in. If you fly at night strobes are required.

To get started, I recommend the Vifly strobes because of their flexibility and price. You can buy a set of three for around $40 while the best single strobe out there is the Firehouse Arc V, but they start at $35 each. ViFly strobes can be had individually for about $15 each. I own several of each and wouldn't fly without the strobes. JMO
ViFly 3 pack strobes
Have not shot any videos. Plenty of still photos. I do have a Lume cube strobe mounted on my Mavic 3 Classic.

I am MikeP. I reside in Shippensburg. I am a rookie in the drone world. Just purchased a Mavic 3 Classic and am looking forward to flying it. I am also an amature photographer.
Hi Mike, welcome from North New Jersey. I am also a photographer and love flying drones for some epic shots. Enjoy the forum.

Hi Mike from a Mike! You’ve certainly embraced the droning game with a top of the range piece of kit. You’re going to love it. Lots of simple flights to get the feel and then you’ll see what the photographic opportunities are with that super drone.

Reactions: SeaPig and GFields
Have not shot any videos. Plenty of still photos. I do have a Lume cube strobe mounted on my Mavic 3 Classic.
Eventually you will get the bug to shoot videos. I am a retired professional photographer and found myself shooting mostly videos, something I hadn't done since the mid 80's (when VHS was a brand new thing :) ).

It's good that Lume Cubes have come down in price. I haven't owned one yet, but maybe some day. They look kind of thick (tall when mounted) in the photos. Arc V's weigh 13 grams and measure 1/2" thick. How thick is the Lume Cube?

Reactions: SeaPig
Is this a guest appearance OMM or do we have you around now and then? The latter would be brilliant if you can’t be with us the whole time.
it would seem i am back officially but not apparently as a moderator any more ,i will try to have that title removed if that is the case as it is misinformation

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan