DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to the hobby

Ziz ONE

Reactions
Hello. I had a bad habit of being eccentric. When my wife offered to buy me a DSLR camera, I opted for some Fujifilm 3D camera which has gone nowhere. Another time I purchased for her some unbeknownst new brand camera called “GoPro” and instead of getting one for myself I got some other mistake I don’t even remember. Deciding to just follow my wife’s advice and settle for the popular and proven brand for their quality—I decided to step up our game and get a camera even she would be impressed by. So I got a drone by DJI which I knew to be the number one brand name. I just purchased the Mavic Air; Fly More package. With my wife’s experience she suggested looking into filters. I just ordered myself an ND4 polarized filter by Polar Pro. Aware of the FAA regs I also jusr purchased some small decals I plan on placing on the back, interior legs. I named my drone Ziz ONE. I am fumbling around with my drone in the few moments of the day I can, already damage one entire set of propellers with a landing mishap (hit autoland under cover)... I have noticed Master Airscrew is a seemingly popular propeller brand. This brings to mind aftermarket props. When I purchased this drone, the experienced drone pilot at the store said to not get the carbonfiber propellers because in his experience they are not balanced. Is this a brand issue? Was this a one-off event? I am new to the hobby and quickly discovered I live in the most drone-unfriendly zone in the world... San Francisco. Apparently according to the internet joining the AMA is the best way to increase my options. Is AMA worth it? Thanks in advanced. Oh, are there any other popular accessories or upgrades people trend?

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to the forum! :)

This brings to mind aftermarket props. When I purchased this drone, the experienced drone pilot at the store said to not get the carbonfiber propellers because in his experience they are not balanced. Is this a brand issue?
Possibly?

OEM DJI props were designed for DJI drones and always work well. It seems many people choose 3rd party props because they either like the manufacturer (e.g. Master Airscrew) or they want to change the color of the props.

Apparently according to the internet joining the AMA is the best way to increase my options. Is AMA worth it?
It might be worth it if you're planning on flying at an AMA club. Otherwise, I'm not sure you'll gain much from that membership.

are there any other popular accessories or upgrades people trend?
Check out MavicHelp.com.

Reactions: Ziz ONE
Also - don't get caught up in the hype of being the "Accessory Guy" Carbon fiber this and that, extension legs, a parachute, all the colored lights, a freight horn, UAV luggage that's jeep proven.. I'm sure you know where I'm getting at. Just enjoy the new hobbie and have fun.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Also - don't get caught up in the hype of being the "Accessory Guy" Carbon fiber this and that, extension legs, a parachute, all the colored lights, a freight horn, UAV luggage that's jeep proven.. I'm sure you know where I'm getting at. Just enjoy the new hobbie and have fun.
“Less is more” especially with drones which need a light weight for optimal performance... not really into accessories. Just trying to catch up with the years of trials and errors. The only three aftermarket things that really interest me are Polar Pro cinematic lenses (but currently reading reviews compared to Freewell), a very basic white lettering for FAA reg number, and some lightweight lights for the purpose of night flying should I decide to fall under 107. For the lights I am looking at Strobon Cree and those leg attachments from PhantomHelp. That is camera quality upgrade and two FAA compliance addons. The closest thing I have been considering for the drone itself is a skin for the top cover... not so much for aesthetics rather like a protective film (like a phone case for my phone) to prevent scratches. I would only use the skin on the very top cover—if even. That CAD Camo by decalgirl is decent... but I already feel like I am doing too much.

It might be worth it if you're planning on flying at an AMA club. Otherwise, I'm not sure you'll gain much from that membership.

Check out MavicHelp.com.
I live in the Bay Area which is a landmine of overlapping airports, sports arenas, sports coliseums, national parks, military bases, helipads, NOAA marine, hospitals etc... and there are tens and tens of AMA fields too. I think I just convinced myself AMA membership may actually be fruitful and open up more airspace for me.

Thanks for the link, it opened my eyes to the micro Lenspen for drones which is something I didn’t even know I needed but now I do!

it opened my eyes to the micro Lenspen for drones which is something I didn’t even know I needed but now I do!
Love those! It's the easiest way to clean the camera pre-flight.

Hello. I had a bad habit of being eccentric. When my wife offered to buy me a DSLR camera, I opted for some Fujifilm 3D camera which has gone nowhere. Another time I purchased for her some unbeknownst new brand camera called “GoPro” and instead of getting one for myself I got some other mistake I don’t even remember. Deciding to just follow my wife’s advice and settle for the popular and proven brand for their quality—I decided to step up our game and get a camera even she would be impressed by. So I got a drone by DJI which I knew to be the number one brand name. I just purchased the Mavic Air; Fly More package. With my wife’s experience she suggested looking into filters. I just ordered myself an ND4 polarized filter by Polar Pro. Aware of the FAA regs I also jusr purchased some small decals I plan on placing on the back, interior legs. I named my drone Ziz ONE. I am fumbling around with my drone in the few moments of the day I can, already damage one entire set of propellers with a landing mishap (hit autoland under cover)... I have noticed Master Airscrew is a seemingly popular propeller brand. This brings to mind aftermarket props. When I purchased this drone, the experienced drone pilot at the store said to not get the carbonfiber propellers because in his experience they are not balanced. Is this a brand issue? Was this a one-off event? I am new to the hobby and quickly discovered I live in the most drone-unfriendly zone in the world... San Francisco. Apparently according to the internet joining the AMA is the best way to increase my options. Is AMA worth it? Thanks in advanced. Oh, are there any other popular accessories or upgrades people trend?
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Air, fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S