DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie from North Vancouver

Greetings from North Vancouver where today quite unexpectedly a large yellow ball just rose in the east and seems to be making its way westward through the sky. So strange. No rain.

I am new to the forum. Just got my Canadian advanced pilot certificate... and just waiting for my M2 Zoom to arrive (seems the rain is keeping not just drones but the cargo planes out of the sky too).

I have been flying a Mavic Mini for about 8 months. (I love this drone flying thing... how did it take me so long to find it?) I am guy who really likes to follow the rules (correction, I don't LIKE following rules... I am just afraid of fines and hurting people) and I have been struck by just how hard it is to find legal places to fly in North Vancouver-- living near 7 aerodromes doesn't help nor do all the restrictions against flying in national, provincial, regional, and municipal parks. If any of you have suggestions for locations I would love to hear from you!!
You might want to check out Don Drones On - YouTube. His app Drone Pilot Canada is more than worth the money. Burnaby has a lot of Class G airspace.

You might want to check out Don Drones On - YouTube. His app Drone Pilot Canada is more than worth the money. Burnaby has a lot of Class G airspace.
Hey Carey, thanks. Ya I have been using that app. It's great. His videos are great too. And thanks for suggesting Burnaby. I have flown there... I am a bit apprehensive still... It seems they like all other municipalities in the LML prohibit flying in their municipal parks. I am interested in flying at Deer Lake and seeing mixed messages here and elsewhere around whether that's ok. Welcome your thoughts if you've flown there or other places in Burnaby.

Kamloops welcomes you to the forum. In Canada the mini (mUAV) has very little restrictions (almost none) compared to the M2 Zoom's regulations. But I guess my being in the BC Interior with a mini, the local municipal bylaws are more relaxed here. Fly safe and enjoy!
Hey thanks. My family and I are camping every weekend in the summer and we make it into the interior often. My wife loves Kamloops. Will check out some of the spaces there next summer. Happy to hear any tips for flying in that neck of the woods.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome from the State down under.......Washington State! When I first purchased my Mavic Pro (later upgraded to Mavic 2 Pro), I approached 2 landowners and asked permission to take off from, fly over and land on their properties (cumulative 500+ acres). Both were most agreeable, especially when I asked permission. I realize I did not have to ask to fly over but I did anyway. Did one of them a favor using the drone. The rancher wanted me to fly over his neighbor's cattle. Seems some of his cattle had crossed the fence and mixed with the neighbor's herd. The drone is a great way to scope large properties without having to get your feet wet!

Greetings from North Vancouver where today quite unexpectedly a large yellow ball just rose in the east and seems to be making its way westward through the sky. So strange. No rain.

I am new to the forum. Just got my Canadian advanced pilot certificate... and just waiting for my M2 Zoom to arrive (seems the rain is keeping not just drones but the cargo planes out of the sky too).

I have been flying a Mavic Mini for about 8 months. (I love this drone flying thing... how did it take me so long to find it?) I am guy who really likes to follow the rules (correction, I don't LIKE following rules... I am just afraid of fines and hurting people) and I have been struck by just how hard it is to find legal places to fly in North Vancouver-- living near 7 aerodromes doesn't help nor do all the restrictions against flying in national, provincial, regional, and municipal parks. If any of you have suggestions for locations I would love to hear from you!!
Hey there
I frequent YVR with work (airline pilot) and was recently there with my Mavic 2 Pro. Capilano Reservoir / Dam was a nice spot. Two other guys were also rippin their drones out over the lake. (Maybe you were one of them? Haha)
I realized after the fact there was a “no drone” sign - but.... I Dont believe you would get fined as it was a legal spot. Prob just get asked to leave.
The biggest concern as with any park is staying clear of people.
Otherwise I found the sea-to-sky hiway to be reasonable as well by Launching from lookout points into the valleys or over lakes (just be mindful of seaplanes and float bases)
I continue to come to YVR - if you know of some other spots let me know! Cheers

Hey Carey, thanks. Ya I have been using that app. It's great. His videos are great too. And thanks for suggesting Burnaby. I have flown there... I am a bit apprehensive still... It seems they like all other municipalities in the LML prohibit flying in their municipal parks. I am interested in flying at Deer Lake and seeing mixed messages here and elsewhere around whether that's ok. Welcome your thoughts if you've flown there or other places in Burnaby.
Hi! I just bought a new mini 2 as well but am
Having a hard time finding a spot to fly. Any remote scenic spots to suggest in north van? Are beaches like deep cove ok as long as we are not in the park itself?

Hey there
I frequent YVR with work (airline pilot) and was recently there with my Mavic 2 Pro. Capilano Reservoir / Dam was a nice spot. Two other guys were also rippin their drones out over the lake. (Maybe you were one of them? Haha)
I realized after the fact there was a “no drone” sign - but.... I Dont believe you would get fined as it was a legal spot. Prob just get asked to leave.
The biggest concern as with any park is staying clear of people.
Otherwise I found the sea-to-sky hiway to be reasonable as well by Launching from lookout points into the valleys or over lakes (just be mindful of seaplanes and float bases)
I continue to come to YVR - if you know of some other spots let me know! Cheers
Hey there... wow, sorry for the late reply I have not been keeping up. I haven't flown the Cap River Park... trying to stay away from them not wanting to get into any trouble. You are probably right about the asked to leave vs fine bit. There aren't too many places that I know of in the Lower Mainland that are interesting. But now that camping season has opened I have been getting into some cool spots in Squamish area. Sea to Sky is a good idea and I might just try to launch off one of the lookout points. Good suggestion. I have gone to Barnet Marine Park near Port Moody. If you go east of the official park you can walk a ways down the beach and there are some good places to shoot that are out of the park proper. One cool place is under the power lines. They are really high up so not a big concern. You can get shots of the trains that frequently go by. But more and more I am getting out of town to shoot.

Hi! I just bought a new mini 2 as well but am
Having a hard time finding a spot to fly. Any remote scenic spots to suggest in north van? Are beaches like deep cove ok as long as we are not in the park itself?
Hey there. It is admittedly hard finding spots in the city. So many rules. I have really just been heading up into the backcountry near Squamish these days. I actually just posted something asking for help with some crap images that I got way up the Elaho River! I think that technically flying around Deep Cove is OK, but you cannot launch from the park. But Deep Cove is so busy and the locals are already at wits end with people invading their neighborhood you might run into antibodies if you launched near their private property. Barnet Marine Park seems to be OK (in the winter) if you walk east of the park and fly out over the water etc. near Port Moody. I have flown in Cates Park on winter days when no one is around but it is a bit of a technicality... I think the park ends just at the water's edge so if you launch on the beach right at the water's edge... But I think if there were a lot of people around they wouldn't like it and park rangers would likely call BS on my thin excuse.

I had a good flight session in white rock a few weeks ago. With the tide being out, it was perfect to have an isolated launch area off of the compressed wet sand and be over the shoreline where the dunes gave awesome contrast for aerial. To top it off a train went by and there is also the pier. Definitely recommend white rock!
1292E114-25C4-40C5-9170-96084B0DAB6C.jpeg

I have a solution but it requires relocation! Move to Saskatchewan, wide open spaces and you just have to dodge the hawks flying around. Lol

I have a solution but it requires relocation! Move to Saskatchewan, wide open spaces and you just have to dodge the hawks flying around. Lol
Congratulations on your advanced pilot certification. I live in Calgary, and also abide by the rules which makes it hard to find a place to fly. I’m actually going to Vancouver for vacation in September but unfortunately I’ll be leaving my drones home.
Cheers,
Rex

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Hi Vague Nerd, I've recently picked up a Mini 2 and have been realizing all the bylaws that exist in and around the Greater Vancouver Area cities. I too am interested in following the regulations and am not interested in causing issues with other people around.

That said I was hoping to ask some of the more experienced Canadian members of this forum...are these city bylaws actually meaningful, valid, or even intended for airspace substantially above (e.g. double tree height ++) city parks or district areas etc.? I see in the USA the argument is made that only the FAA controls the airspace, is the same true for Canada with Transport Canada and Nav Canada? Is this just about takeoffs/landings/controlling from these areas?

As an example Squamish rules seem to me to be laughably restrictive virtually suggesting a ban drones in the entire District unless with city consent and on private property? How can that be reasonable given airspace jurisdiction?

Just to add. I can certainly see the reason why we shouldn't be zipping around at 5' off the ground in a city park, and can fully understand avoiding BC park areas for wildlife reasons. Just looking for clarifications.

Thanks!

Reactions: GFields
Just got my Canadian advanced pilot certificate... and just waiting for my M2 Zoom

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar.

Since you live in Canada, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check to ensure these are current.

Now, for some Good Old Fashion Advice…

Do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 4-5 feet (1-1/2 meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mavic 2, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Happy, Safe and Legal Droning…

Cleveland Dam. The Salmon Pools, just downstream. Lynn Valley Regional Park. Anywhere along the waterfront. Upper Forest Hills and Delbrook for city views. Cypress Bowl road. Lower Capilano River. The grain elevators and train tracks on the water near the grain terminals on Lower Level Road, Dollarton Highway (and the flats offshore), Deep Cove, Belcarra Park.

I grew up near Edgemont Village. :)

Reactions: GFields
are these city bylaws actually meaningful
Bylaws are usually enforced based on complaints and the availability of bylaw officers. Consider the large number of unleashed dogs in parks with 'leash your dog' signs.

I would stick carefully to Transport Canada regulations, err on the side of safety when flying, and fly when there are few people around (early morning is great, both for solitude and great light).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato