DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie question on E series airspace

Unblow your mind and use AirMap or the FAA facility maps. Type in the address and you know instantly.
There are many ways to know where you are and find out what airspace you're in. For example, Sectional charts are useful in rural areas where street addresses are meaningless and apps aren't available or no cell coverage exists. In this case a current sectional chart (paper or downloaded) will be your best friend.

Your own “Misinformation”link even states that “Class E surface areas require Authorizations under Part 107” so I don’t know how much more clear that can be.
How about you provide the coordinates or address so we can look it up and get the real answer not interpretations!
How about 2911 E. Pelican Drive, Oak Island, NC?
There is an airport a couple miles away and my best guess is that I can fly under 400'. Is that what you see? Thanks

There is an airport a couple miles away and my best guess is that I can fly under 400'. Is that what you see? Thanks

That location is in uncontrolled airspace below 400 feet, so no airspace restrictions there.

The nearby airport (Cape Fear Regional/Franklin) only has controlled airspace starting at 700 feet.

Reactions: Milo187
Dawgpilot is correct. FAA Facility Maps, AirMap and SkyVector all agree. You're in G airspace with Class E5 well above that so you're good to 400' and yield to manned aircraft.
Be cautious since there are several airports nearby so I'm sure you may see lots of activity in the area. In my experience coastal beach areas may have low flying aircraft, para-sails and god knows what else flying low and slow for sightseeing or recreation. Keep your head on a swivel and if you have someone with you have them keep an eye on the sky.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Dawgpilot is correct. FAA Facility Maps, AirMap and SkyVector all agree. You're in G airspace with Class E5 well above that so you're good to 400' and yield to manned aircraft.
Be cautious since there are several airports nearby so I'm sure you may see lots of activity in the area. In my experience coastal beach areas may have low flying aircraft, para-sails and god knows what else flying low and slow for sightseeing or recreation. Keep your head on a swivel and if you have someone with you have them keep an eye on the sky.
Yeah, I'll be flying along the beach and I'll be alert to what is happening around me.
Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife