DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie question on E series airspace

tomc5179

Reactions
I live in a rural area about 5 miles from the closest town. I fly recreationally only and I've checked and my house is in class G airspace. However, 1/4 mile to the west of me is class E5 airspace with a listed minimum / floor altitude of 700'. Can I fly in the E5 airspace with the newly changed regulations as long as I stay below the UAV regulation of 400'?

At this time, hobbyists are only allowed to fly in Class G airspace or authorized fixed sites within controlled airspace. Class E airspace is controlled airspace, so you cannot fly there until you're able to get FAA authorization through LAANC.

Reactions: dawgpilot
At this time, hobbyists are only allowed to fly in Class G airspace or authorized fixed sites within controlled airspace. Class E airspace is controlled airspace, so you cannot fly there until you're able to get FAA authorization through LAANC.

This is a very common point of confusion for everyone, as the OP stated, Class E5 airspace starts at 700 feet AGL or 1200 feet AGL, with Class G airspace below it.

OP- just be aware that Class E can also go to ground level near an airport (shown with a dashed magenta line circle around the airport) in which you cant fly.

Last edited:
I live in a rural area about 5 miles from the closest town. I fly recreationally only and I've checked and my house is in class G airspace. However, 1/4 mile to the west of me is class E5 airspace with a listed minimum / floor altitude of 700'. Can I fly in the E5 airspace with the newly changed regulations as long as I stay below the UAV regulation of 400'?
What country - this is an international forum.

Reactions: AMann
Yes you can fly. Underneath Class E with a floor of 700ft AGL is Class G airspace. I have the same situation near my house.

This is a very common point of confusion for everyone, as the OP stated, Class E5 airspace starts at 700 feet AGL or 1200 feet AGL, with Class G airspace below it.

OP- just be aware that Class E can also go to ground level near an airport (shown with a dashed line circle around the airport) in which you cant fly.
So the way I understand your response is that if the Class E is shown with a solid outline, I'm good to go flying UNDER the Class E airspace (which starts at 700') in Class G airspace (While following the 400' limit for UAV's, of course). Otherwise, if the Class E is shown with a dashed line, it's a NO GO as the E starts at the ground. Have I got that right? Thanks for helping clear this up.

Reactions: dawgpilot
So the way I understand your response is that if the Class E is shown with a solid outline, I'm good to go flying UNDER the Class E airspace (which starts at 700') in Class G airspace (While following the 400' limit for UAV's, of course). Otherwise, if the Class E is shown with a dashed line, it's a NO GO as the E starts at the ground. Have I got that right? Thanks for helping clear this up.
383D8CF6-BC66-45E1-A699-663E3884BA5C.jpeg

See the shaded class E borders? That’s either starting at 700’ AGL or 1200’. The solid border lines are other classes of controlled airspaces; B and C. The dashed magenta border line is Class E on up from the surface.

What town and state are you in? Lets pull up a sectional of your area. I use VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts

Last edited:
View attachment 75005

See the shaded class E borders? That’s either starting at 700’ AGL or 1200’. The solid border lines are other classes of controlled airspaces; B and C. The dashed magenta border line is Class E on up from the surface.

What town and state are you in? Lets pull up a sectional of your area. I use VFRMAP - Digital Aeronautical Charts
Near New Cambria, Kansas. It's in the middle of Kansas - Just east of Salina

Reactions: Chip D
Near New Cambria, Kansas. It's in the middle of Kansas - Just east of Salina
2701C801-9553-4DD3-ADE7-B4F863672100.jpeg

See that blue dashed line surrounding Salina airport? That’s class D from the surface up to 3800’ AGL, stay away from that. The Outer magenta shaded line is Class E starting at 700’ AGL, and there’s Class G below most of it except in the southwest quadrant where the blue hatched border is a restricted area due to the ICBM bunker ;)

I’d be extra careful anywhere around your area near the agricultural fields during crop dusting time! Call those private fields near you (Silers and Tamarack on the map) in case they’re flying out from there. You can get their contact info here by searching for (Tamarack, KS), etc.

Last edited:
See that blue dashed line surrounding Salina airport? That’s class D from the surface up to 3800’ AGL, stay away from that. The Outer magenta shaded line is Class E starting at 700’ AGL, and there’s Class G below most of it except in the southwest quadrant where the blue hatched border is a restricted area due to the ICBM bunker ;)

I’d be extra careful anywhere around your area near the agricultural fields during crop dusting time! Call those private fields near you (Silers and Tamarack on the map) in case they’re flying out from there. You can get their contact info here by searching for (Tamarack, KS), etc.

Thanks very much for your help on this! That clarified several things for me. An interesting thing to note - I knew about the ICBM silo's SW of Salina, but they were supposedly de-commissioned in the 1960's. Odd that the map still shows them to be restricted areas, or maybe Uncle Sam isn't telling the public the whole story....? lol

Thanks very much for your help on this! That clarified several things for me. An interesting thing to note - I knew about the ICBM silo's SW of Salina, but they were supposedly de-commissioned in the 1960's. Odd that the map still shows them to be restricted areas, or maybe Uncle Sam isn't telling the public the whole story....? lol
Wait... they were(are) real??

View attachment 75012

I really appreciate it when someone speaks clearly, as you did, about sectionals. Even though I have my Part 107 certificate, sectionals are very complex. I consider myself to be very good with maps, and comments like yours help me to add sectionals to my expertise. Thank you.

Those restricted areas are for other reasons.
In August 1970, the FAA published a rule in the Federal Register (35 FR 10107, June 19, 1970) establishing the Brookville, KS, restricted areas R–3601A and R–3601B in support of U.S. Air Force (USAF) weapons delivery training requirements. The two restricted areas were originally established laterally adjacent to each other with different ceilings to be activated for use individually, as required.

Then, in July 2007, the FAA published another rule in the Federal Register (72 FR 35917, July 2, 2007) that combined the restricted areas lateral boundaries, divided the combined areas vertically instead of laterally, and expanded the vertical limits to flight level 230 (FL230). The lower portion of the combined area (surface to but not including FL180) was re-designated as R–3601A and the upper portion (FL180 to FL230) as R–3601B. The new configuration supported USAF high altitude release bomb training requirements for fighter aircraft and new medium-to-high altitude release bomb training requirement for bombers.

The current silos aren't in restricted airspace, and most are in Class G, but all are marked as no-fly zones on the FAA facility map.

Reactions: AMann and tomc5179
Those restricted areas are for other reasons.
In August 1970, the FAA published a rule in the Federal Register (35 FR 10107, June 19, 1970) establishing the Brookville, KS, restricted areas R–3601A and R–3601B in support of U.S. Air Force (USAF) weapons delivery training requirements. The two restricted areas were originally established laterally adjacent to each other with different ceilings to be activated for use individually, as required.
The current silos aren't in restricted airspace, and most are in Class G, but all are marked as no-fly zones on the FAA facility map.
You're right, I forgot all about Smoky Hill bombing range west of Salina. They have open house usually once a year where the public can go out and watch strafing / bombing runs. It's a great place to visit when it's open. Where I live, we intermittently get to see and hear neat things in the sky at night from the bombing range. I live about 15-20 miles east of there and on a quiet night if they're making strafing runs, you can plainly hear the GAU Avenger or Vulcan cannons going off. Very eerie sound. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of those things.

Reactions: AMann and kadras
Can I fly in the E5 airspace with the newly changed regulations as long as I stay below the UAV regulation of 400'?

It is only when class E starts all the way down to the surface, that you can not fly.

When class E starts at 700’ or 1200’ or 12,500’, doesn’t concern you, since you can not fly your unmanned aircraft this high anyway.

How do you know when class E goes all the way to the ground?
When the airport is surrounded by dotted lines. Looks like a class D airspace, but it is magenta.

See pic as an example...
7fab418533db0a4758d02d00222007ca.jpg

Reactions: AMann and tomc5179
It is only when class E starts all the way down to the surface, that you can not fly.

When class E starts at 700’ or 1200’ or 12,500’, doesn’t concern you, since you can not fly your unmanned aircraft this high anyway.

How do you know when class E goes all the way to the ground?
When the airport is surrounded by dotted lines. Looks like a class D airspace, but it is magenta.

See pic as an example...
Thanks very much for the examples - all of you guys that gave feedback are great! I'm wanting to make sure I'm kosher with all the laws and regs so I'm not the goon who might make other drone operators look bad, so this is very helpful. I've got some buddies locally with drones that I will pass this info on to, as I know they've had similar questions. Thumbswayup

It's my understanding that it's ok to fly in the Class-E surface extensions without authorization, just not in the primary circle (the part that is "designated for an airport").

Last edited:
Reactions: jimlips
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markshsv