DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie RTH question w/ Mavic 2 Pro

friendlyfish

Reactions
I'm still in the early stages of learning about my Mavic 2 Pro, and am hoping for some advice. I'd like to change the RTH feature from the default (returning to the geographic takeoff location) so that the drone will instead return to the current location of the controller. Can anyone please shed some light on this? Thanks in advance for your help!

I'd like to change the RTH feature from the default (returning to the geographic takeoff location) so that the drone will instead return to the current location of the controller.
That's not possible. The drone is only able to return to the current home point.

In DJI GO, you can manually set the home point to the aircraft's current location or the current location of your mobile device (if it contains a GPS receiver). See the screenshot below.

If your mobile device does not contain a GPS receiver, you can attach an external GPS receiver to it (like one of these). You'll need to manually set the home point each time you move to a new location.

1567386973145.png

What about dynamic home point ?

Reactions: Greg Webb
What about dynamic home point ?
If the drone you're flying has that feature, it can be enabled and used when flying in ActiveTrack mode.

That's not possible. The drone is only able to return to the current home point.

In DJI GO, you can manually set the home point to the aircraft's current location or the current location of your mobile device (if it contains a GPS receiver). See the screenshot below.

If your mobile device does not contain a GPS receiver, you can attach an external GPS receiver to it (like one of these). You'll need to manually set the home point each time you move to a new location.

View attachment 80810

View attachment 80810
Thanks a lot for your reply, especially the screen shots which are very helpful. Until now I've been using an iPod Touch as my mobile device, which doesn't have GPS. However, I also have an iPad that is GPS capable, so hopefully that'll work. First I need to buy a longer Lightning cable, but may need a bit more guidance once I get it hooked up... hope you don't mind if I check back with you in a few days :) Thanks!

View attachment 80810
Do you mind telling me what version of dji go 4 you are using. My screen looks nothing like yours.4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Let me know if I have this correct as a first time drone owner! I want to ensure I have this correct as my enlightenment continues (-:

A word of caution regarding using the controller as a return to home point. Be very careful.

I viewed a “Drone 51” video on this subject. He launched the M2P from his boat using the controller as the home point. It was set to “follow“ mode. Boat moved, battery on low, ready to return home... Oh no, guess where the drone wanted to return home?

Do you mind telling me what version of dji go 4 you are using. My screen looks nothing like yours.
I'm currently using the current version of DJI GO 4. The screenshots I post are usually always from older versions of DJI GO since it's not possible to update my screenshots each time DJI releases a new version of DJI GO.

I'm currently using the current version of DJI GO 4. The screenshots I post are usually always from older versions of DJI GO since it's not possible to update my screenshots each time DJI releases a new version of DJI GO.
Thank you very much. Actually I read a post from you from an earlier time which cleared up the issue for me. I did not realize that I had to be in the Active Track mode to enable that screen (doh!). However, that being said; selecting the "little man" icon didn't accomplish the desired task. Does it have to be selected each time before you hit RTH? What would happen if you were in a boat?

Again; thank you very much for your time and helpfulness - it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot for your reply, especially the screen shots which are very helpful. Until now I've been using an iPod Touch as my mobile device, which doesn't have GPS. However, I also have an iPad that is GPS capable, so hopefully that'll work. First I need to buy a longer Lightning cable, but may need a bit more guidance once I get it hooked up... hope you don't mind if I check back with you in a few days.
You may still be out of luck.
There have been many reports of the Reset homepoint to controller's current location feature with Apple equipment despite having GPS on the phone or iPad.
Do you really need the feature, why do you want it?
There may be other alternatives you could use.
However, that being said; selecting the "little man" icon didn't accomplish the desired task.
Does it have to be selected each time before you hit RTH?
If you were in Active Track with a drone that supports this feature, the homepoint should continue tracking you as long as you are flying in Active Track.
If you are just flying normally, the homepoint will not folow you and will remain at where it was last set or reset.
What would happen if you were in a boat?
Unless you have a very large and stable boat, you don't ever want RTH to autoland your drone on the boat.
Boats are always moving.
You will need to hand catch the drone.

The main reason to reset the homepoint on a boat is to avoid being in a situation where the drone gets too far from where it was launched and tries to go back home (the launch spot).
Resetting to either the drone's or the controller's current location is just as useful to prevent this.

I did not realize that I had to be in the Active Track mode to enable that screen (doh!).
Are you referring to the "Enable Dynamic Home Point" setting? That's the only setting on that screen that requires ActiveTrack to be enabled when using it.

selecting the "little man" icon didn't accomplish the desired task. Does it have to be selected each time before you hit RTH?
Tapping that icon sets the home point to the current location reported by the GPS in your mobile device. You need to tap that icon each time you want to move the home point.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeoTony