DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie: Shortcomings of iMovie?

TheoMatthias

Reactions
I'm a new Mavic Pro user and have finally got over the choppy 4K video playback issue on my early 2011 (16gb) MacBook Pro. So, now I intend to shoot in 4K/24fps and wish to post-process my videos. As I am also new to video editing, I'm wondering if I could start out my learning experience editing in iMovie? Ultimately, I'd like to use FCPX, but will iMovie suffice until then? What shortcomings will I encounter?

TIA,

Theo

I'm a new Mavic Pro user and have finally got over the choppy 4K video playback issue on my early 2011 (16gb) MacBook Pro. So, now I intend to shoot in 4K/24fps and wish to post-process my videos. As I am also new to video editing, I'm wondering if I could start out my learning experience editing in iMovie? Ultimately, I'd like to use FCPX, but will iMovie suffice until then? What shortcomings will I encounter?

TIA,

Theo

TIA,

Theo

Why not shoot in 2.7k 24 fps instead? Many feel it's smoother and more cinematic, AND there are better chances that it will play smoothly on your older MBP.

Why not shoot in 2.7k 24 fps instead? Many feel it's smoother and more cinematic, AND there are better chances that it will play smoothly on your older MBP.

Yup! I've already made several videos at 2.7k both 24 & 30 fps, as well as 1080p. However, I'm dying to show 4K on my television. BTW, I had to drop down to 1080p for QuickTime to show the video smoothly on my 2011 MBP. THEN, I discovered the MPV app and I can now smoothly view 4k on my ancient device!

Theo

I'm not sure iMovie will process 4K on such a old MacBook. Even though I now have a 27" 5k cable iMac I still film almost exclusion in 2.7k with suitable ND filters for the lighting conditions. Really very little difference to 4K but much easier file sizes handle and none of the weird artifacts the Mavic 4K has

Reactions: Budmancan
Thanks to all. This morning I'm reshooting in 2.7k that which I shot a few days ago in 4k. It'll be interesting to make the comparison as the conditions are almost identical to the 4k shoot.

Appreciate the help!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO