DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ confuses me

Bryce steiner

Reactions
Over the past several months of being on here i have read many threads. The one here

NFZ ?

indicates that in an NFZ you cannot take off and you cannot even fly into it from a safe space takeoff. Many threads I’ve read where pilots are frustrated because they get an error and they cannot take off. They were looking for a hack or something since they were outside the NFZ but DJI incorrectly had it labeled. Other times they are just on the edge.

So, anyhow, I was out driving the other day and I stopped and turned my Mavic2 Pro on and it said NFZ on the remote. I do know that I was not all that far from an airport (The jets were about 5000’ up in the air by the time they were over me on their way to 30,000). I had checked the map and I do know that I was in an NFZ. The airmap app showed several helicopter and an airport sites not too far. I was in a metro area. So, I thought “I’ll try it to see the error, and what it does.”

Surprising to me was it let me take off. “Hmm.” I thought. “Was I not really in an NFZ? Why did it let me take off?”

Then I thought well maybe it’s just it will only go only very short distances like in ATTI mode. I went up about 250’ and it went up just fine. The buildings are just a little close to that so I knew I wouldn’t run into anything - not to mention kept a close eye on anything in the sky. There were a few copters here and there but nothing here. I dropped it back down after a couple minutes.

Why did it let me launch when so many people and threads are saying it doesn’t allow it? Is there something wrong with mine?

As you see on the map there are different levels of NFZ, some are just information, some require simple "I know", some require an unlock with record of it, some need a prior unlock days in advance. The controller has a simple screen and just displays NFZ regardless fo the type, it's the app that will show you the detail.

Reactions: CJH92474 and Bobvt
You were in an altitude restricted area with a max altitude of 450'/150m.Screenshot_20190507-071451~01.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU