DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NFZ Disable for Mini 2

It is important to remember... we do not own the airspace over our homes.. In the US the airspace over your home is part of the National Airspace System. Now that being said... usually flying up to 400 feet is fine. Except when it's not. My home sits on the approach for a hospital heliport over 5 miles away... my max flight elevation is 150 feet. For my purposes that's more than fine.

A friend of mine in Washington state had a similar problem to yours... he was able to get DJI to remove the restriction around his neighborhood.. I will warn you that the process DJI uses for this relief can be arduous.

It took Phil about 3 weeks of back and forth before he was able to fly over his property. But with some persistence, you should be able to get flying over your property.
Thanks for the response, and I mean no offense, but I don't recognize the state's authority to blanketly declare that they own the airspace. And beyond that, even if we have to live under the claim that they own it (because they will enFORCE that claim with violence), it should be treated as any other open (non-secured) public property. There are already laws about interfering with aircraft. Just like I can't use an RC car to trip somebody on federal property, but I'm perfectly allowed to be there if I'm not harming anyone. It's ludicrous to say that people can't fly their drone 3 feet above their own lawn because there could be a plane and somebody might act irresponsibly near it. It's about liberty and personal responsibility.

/rant

As for the second half of your post, again, I appreciate the suggestion, but I haven't gotten a shred of help out of DJI. I'll give it a go anyway.

Thanks for the response, and I mean no offense, but I don't recognize the state's authority to blanketly declare that they own the airspace. And beyond that, even if we have to live under the claim that they own it (because they will enFORCE that claim with violence), it should be treated as any other open (non-secured) public property. There are already laws about interfering with aircraft. Just like I can't use an RC car to trip somebody on federal property, but I'm perfectly allowed to be there if I'm not harming anyone. It's ludicrous to say that people can't fly their drone 3 feet above their own lawn because there could be a plane and somebody might act irresponsibly near it. It's about liberty and personal responsibility.

/rant

As for the second half of your post, again, I appreciate the suggestion, but I haven't gotten a shred of help out of DJI. I'll give it a go anyway.
No offense taken. I am a liberty guy myself.. but where do you draw the line is the question... ok.. we give all property owners rights to 400 feet... we own that space.... now NONE of us can fly over anybodys else's property without their permission...and if you want to look at it from a pure liberty perspective and say nobody owns any airspace.... how exactly does commercial or private aviation exist, if nobody is in charge of the airspace. I have police helicopters, hospital helicopters, commercial and private aircraft fly over my house on any given day... all in an organized system that works. While I'm all for liberty and freedom, there are certain things that do need to be regulated and I personally believe aviation is one of the few of them.
This is one of those hot button topics where no two people will agree. Because there are many gray areas. In this case, the FAA eliminates the gray areas... just my opinion to which I am entitled.

Keep working on DJI, with perseverance, you will prevail.

I wish you all the best.

Joe

Reactions: MarkusAtHome
Hey Joe, thanks for the response... sorry I didn't see it earlier. As advocates for liberty, we are often expected to have all the answers and our solutions are expected to be perfect in order to have anyone consider giving us any of our liberty back. It's part of our programming and I fall into this trap still too. Of course we can come up with difficult what-if scenarios and grey areas, but the solution we have now isn't perfect either. So, why must we accept the less-free solution? (Because the state has a monopoly on violence, yes... but besides that. ?)

As I mentioned before, it's assumed that I will not act responsibly and I am prohibited from using my own property (the drone) at my own house, regardless of whether the airspace above it is even in use. Why should "airspace" be universal? Surely I should have a right to fly 5' above my front lawn? Perhaps up to the height of my roof, "if it pleases the king"? ? The FAA knows how low a plane is supposed to be above my house... they could take that into consideration and limit my altitude. That would be a better solution at least.

I think the "pure liberty" perspective would be more akin to the homesteading rule that takes USE into consideration, which would make the vast majority of arguments moot, but for the conflicts, it would probably work the same way it does now with property (land) easements for utility companies, public safety, neighbors' access to adjacent property, etc. I don't know for sure, but the beauty is, I don't NEED to... because I'm not a central planner. History and evidence shows us that the free market will find a better solution than some nameless, faceless bureaucrat who has no incentive to make us happy.

Thanks again for the discussion, Joe

I always enjoy a spirited debate, unfortunately such things are outlawed these days unless you come from only one of the perspectives ?.

A good friend of mine, who is a libertarian, told me that some years back the Supreme Court made a ruling stating that a home owner has unlimited domain to the air above their homes up to 83 feet...

No idea where they concocted that altitude. Hell the FAA doesn't event require painting or lighting up to 199 feet... unless... of course you are in controlled airspace..

It is an interesting subject to be sure and it will be interesting to see what other roadblocks ar imposed as more and more freedoms are stripped away from our lives.

All the best,

Joe

I didn't care much for DJI's NFZ when I first got my drone but now I like the *idea* of it, and certainly appreciate the presence of ADS-B. I still don't really like the idea that DJI can remotely cripple the drone you paid for. We probably wouldn't tolerate that from an auto manufacturer, now matter how safe and law-abiding it might keep us all. If it's possible to get a LAANC clearance but still be locked by DJI, that's a problem. With my limited experience with drones I don't know that that is the case.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine, who is a libertarian, told me that some years back the Supreme Court made a ruling stating that a home owner has unlimited domain to the air above their homes up to 83 feet...
Here is a whole thread on it from a couple weeks ago.

Hi Guys
Just want to know if there is a hack or app to use for the mini 2 to fly in no fly zones for android
Hope someone can help with assistance

There are NFZ’s for a very good reason. Stop being so irresponsible, it’s idiots like you that ruin the fun for those of us that take flying drones and the like seriously! If you can’t work that liogoc out then take up knitting or crochet or something where you’re not a liability to anyone.
Rant over.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
You got a good answer from spudster, hope that answers your question?

There is no such thing yet as a NFZ bypass for any drones using Fly App. The last Mavic to be free of such shackles by release date is M2P. (Using DJI Go 4 app). And that was actually a great pain to unlock. Phantom Pro 4 v1 is also the last phantom to be unlockable.

For this reason a Mavic Pro is such an invaluable tool too break the law or at least bend it.

Before the drone police come, please remember that 95% of the time, an NFZ is there due to good, legal reasons and it sounds like your case belongs to the 95%.
This is no longer true. Drone-Hacks.com has successfully cracked many drones, actually all of the drones that use the DJI Fly app.

It was true when it was posted on Jun 21, 2021😄
Hence the "no longer true" part. It implies that a thing was once true, but no longer is :)

Also buried in this thread is my comment from around a year ago stating that no drones running the DJI Fly app were crackable yet. That is also no longer true :)

There are NFZ’s for a very good reason. Stop being so irresponsible, it’s idiots like you that ruin the fun for those of us that take flying drones and the like seriously! If you can’t work that liogoc out then take up knitting or crochet or something where you’re not a liability to anyone.
Rant over.
You are absolutely right that NFZ are there for a very good reason. However, having the NFZ limitation removed from your drone does not mean that you are doing something irresponsible and / or illegal. I for instance have the DH on the Mini 2 because there are no limitations in my country for drones below 250g and second (this is the important reason) because where I go and fly, occasionally there is no mobile internet coverage which would allow me to unlock a NFZ when I get there. Yes, I know, there is the possibility to do the unlocking from your desktop in advance, but I take jobs on short notice or enroute and so that’s it. And for all other pieces of equipment I operate (car, motorcycle, airplane, and boat), it is my responsibility to remain within the legal boundaries and none of the OEMs restrict me.

Rant over.
Why there are no NFZs with Autel, Skydio, Parrot, Yuneec, Hubsan, Walkera and other drones manufacturers? Are they irresponsible and idiots too? Just wondering.

Reactions: pyrolator
This is no longer true. Drone-Hacks.com has successfully cracked many drones, actually all of the drones that use the DJI Fly app.
you are right, thanks for pointing out. I'm very supportive of self regulation rather than corporate 3rd party regulation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi