DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Niagara Falls

Surge

Reactions
My Air flew over the edge yesterday!!!

In my excitement, I forgot to pan the camera down as it flew over the edge...

I started getting wind warnings and then a connection timeout as I was hovering over the edge of the falls, so I returned to home.
On my second attempt, I couldn't get there, I lost video feed early and returned.

I'm very impressed with the capabilities of the Air, EXCEPT for the Wifi signal range. Mine also can't select Ch 11 or any of the 5.8 Ghz channels, although I'm not sure if that would have helped here. I was less than 1km away from the edge of the Falls, which should not have been an issue.

Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 10.52.52 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 10.53.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-02 at 10.53.44 PM.png

This has sparked my curiosity. At the end of this month we have a two week holiday in Canada. First 3 days in Toronto and of course a visit to Niagara. I am taking my Mavic Air, but had reached the conclusion I could not fly it at Niagara. Yet you are flying at Niagara!!!!

Can you enlighten me with what you can and can't do please. In addition to Toronto we are flying to Calgary and touring Banff, Jasper and driving to Vancouver.

Many thanks

Surge: Amazing shots! Not sure how much it would affect the Mavic Air, but there's free wifi in the park.

David2111: Look forward to your pics and videos!!

Be very careful around major Canadian cities. Toronto is basically a full no fly zone. The mist in niagara would have me keep the drone out of the air as I don’t believe it’s even water resistant.

For flying in Ontario, google “Ontario UAV drone map”. You can select drone from the left menu and move to the places you will go.

You aren't supposed to fly there due to helicopter flights and general risk to other visitors, as well as NFZ designation.
With all the water noise a drone would easily go unnoticed at quiet times like very early morning. :rolleyes:
But posting footage online is not without risk if they go for a crackdown.

Reactions: jedburgh01
Well it's not a 'no fly zone' in the DJI app. And I can't a see a helicopter this close to the falls... If you search on YouTube you will see some great drone videos of the falls.

Be very careful around major Canadian cities. Toronto is basically a full no fly zone. The mist in niagara would have me keep the drone out of the air as I don’t believe it’s even water resistant.

For flying in Ontario, google “Ontario UAV drone map”. You can select drone from the left menu and move to the places you will go.

I live in downtown Toronto and fly in the city all the time. Not amongst the skyscrapers but along the lake...

The no fly zones are around the airports, that's it.

Wow. That is very cool. Way to go! I'd be pretty worried about the mist too, but looks like you're well above it. I think that mist could cause a pretty big updraft as well. But great pics!

In reality, you can fly anywhere as long as you don't get caught or post proof. We've all done it. My goal is not to get the fine tho. From stories I've heard in Ontario, ignorance will still get you the fine. The DJI app does not provide a full picture. There is only one source you need. Use this tool. If you select drone from the left and you see a red circle with a yellow border, you're in an airport no-fly zone. If you see just a simple red circle, it's a local aerodrome/helidrome. That's less of a risk but a cop could still break balls. This is your bible.
UAV Site Selection Tool - National Research Council Canada

Wow. That is very cool. Way to go! I'd be pretty worried about the mist too, but looks like you're well above it. I think that mist could cause a pretty big updraft as well. But great pics!

Thanks. I actually filmed it. These photos are just screen shots. I wish I had remembered to angle the gimbal down as it flew over the edge.
The biggest issue was wind and loss of signal when it was hovering over the falls. I didn’t get any mist on the lens.

In reality, you can fly anywhere as long as you don't get caught or post proof. We've all done it. My goal is not to get the fine tho. From stories I've heard in Ontario, ignorance will still get you the fine. The DJI app does not provide a full picture. There is only one source you need. Use this tool. If you select drone from the left and you see a red circle with a yellow border, you're in an airport no-fly zone. If you see just a simple red circle, it's a local aerodrome/helidrome. That's less of a risk but a cop could still break balls. This is your bible.
UAV Site Selection Tool - National Research Council Canada

Typical government website, doesn’t work! At least not on my iPhone.

On my desktop it shows as Class F, which you are allowed to fly in. Matches DJI app.

Class F is considered Unrestricted airspace. The US doesn’t even use Class F.

So you are good to go at Niagara Falls! Just observe the max height (90m) and stay at least 30m away from people, cars and the other Transport Canada rules for this size of drone.

IF you can't get past channel 10, you have less options for finding open channels and are not at FCC power. Update the DJI app, your range should be better.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

You're very brave. I would be so worried about losing it.

Niagara falls is a no no for drones...

UAV/Drone Use in Niagara Parks

Given the increased popularity and use of UAV (drones) for both work and as a recreational activity, visitors to Niagara Parks and particularly Niagara Falls, are reminded that under Transport Canada Federal Regulations, the airspace above Niagara Falls on the Canadian side of the Niagara River is designated a restricted area.

This restriction includes the operation of a UAVs (drones) without permit approval from Transport Canada. This restricted zone extends from the ground up to, but not including 1066 metres (3500 feet) above sea level (ASL) and approximately 914 metres (3000 feet) above ground level (AGL). This restricted area extends along the Niagara River north from Niagara Falls to approximately Whirlpool Road and from Niagara Falls, south to the Welland River.

The govt UAV flying map is inaccurate, I use airmap to get at least a rough idea of where I can or can't fly. But niagara is a big no on our side for flying. Just like the US national parks are off limits Canadian national parks are NFZ. Not to mention all the air and heli ports in niagara on both sides.

Great shots tho ;) I'm constantly considering it...

Last edited:
Ya I use UAV map as a start. Tremblant is a very strict no fly. I also search the city or attraction for more detail. Drones annoy people and cops have no probs with a fine. I mainly stay out of airport space.

Can you legally take off and operate from the US side? You won't be able to cross international boarders with the drone, but you'd still be able to get many great shots provided the airspace is legal to fly in from the US perspective.

I am in Toronto. The no-fly zones are 5.5km around airports and this includes Billy Bishop making downtown pretty much off limits. 1.8km around heliports are also no-fly. The government UAV map and the DJI one show the areas around air/heliports that are classed - these are not the no-fly zone as per recreational drone use. 5.5km and 1.8km are.

The area around Niagara Falls IS A NO FLY ZONE! Do not fly your drone around the Falls. you will screw it up for the rest of us as the governement will use your irresponsibility to create more resitrictive laws. Before around 2014 we had no real laws governing recreational RC usage but because people with drones decided it would be fun to fly around airports and passenger jets in the air, we now have very restrictive laws.

Yes Niagara Falls is amazing. Please look with your eye and keep your drones on the ground. Please! Thanks.

UAV Site Selection Tool - National Research Council Canada will show you where heliports and airports are. Also use Hover app. Both show Niagara Falls to be restricted. DONT DO IT!

I live downtown and fly inToronto all the time. It's not at all a 'no fly zone'...

Last edited:
Reactions: REO’s MavAir
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xapiccone