DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nice raw still

I shoot a lot of images like that. Love it when it is "almost" dark or light

Thanks for the "like". I had one of the ill fated Blade Chroma drones. Its camera did wonders in low light situations. Wish the DJI cameras could do the same. Thought I'd post a low altitude(40'+ or-) sunset shot for your consideration.Low alitude shot.JPG

Reactions: Porky and Thomas B
Its camera did wonders in low light situations. Wish the DJI cameras could do the same.
Those images are not low light situations.
You have some dark areas in the foreground but you have half the image as bright sky and you have the sun staring straight at the camera.
Your camera metering has come up with an average solution somewhere between the two extremes.
There are ways you could get much better results but the issue is not the camera, it's how it was used.

DJI cameras are quite good in low light situations - as are most cameras.

Reactions: Simmo
Those images are not low light situations.
You have some dark areas in the foreground but you have half the image as bright sky and you have the sun staring straight at the camera.
Your camera metering has come up with an average solution somewhere between the two extremes.
There are ways you could get much better results but the issue is not the camera, it's how it was used.

DJI cameras are quite good in low light situations - as are most cameras.

Ok..Are you going to show us what is. Post some of your own work?
No offense but your post(s) are kind of 1up critical for the sake of it

Edit: This a print screen from a Video with no Post Pro. As a photo It's average, but the scene is nice
Taken in Thick Ground Fog. Was still night 100m below

DJI_0003.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Porky

Edit: This a print screen from a Video with no Post Pro. As a photo It's average, but the scene is nice
Taken in Thick Ground Fog. Was still night 100m below
Yeah that photo is nice, could probably be left as it is?? Up to what is in the eye of the beholder????
My quick take on the above...
untitled-1.JPG

There was nothing at all critical in what I wrote.
It was simple information, it's not low light photography when you shoot straight at the sun.
Low light is when you have to use a slow shutter speed because there's not much light to work with.
Since you asked .. here's some low light photography
DJI_0364-400b-X4.jpg

Wheras this is staring at the rising sun but working on the shadows in the foreground:
DJI_0311a-X4.jpg

• Love
Reactions: MavicFT1P and Simmo
The photo made me happy, it's raw and unedited. I wanted a deep contrast between the setting sun and the objects framing it(the sun) As for the derogatory comments(be honest with yourself) you are entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine. Isn't that what Americas about?

I'd like to pass on some wisdom from my Mom. If you don't have anything nice to say...say nothing. She liked the two Cs approach when trying to help someone. First compliment, then a bit of constructive criticism.

Finally, look at my photographic technical skills. You'll never have to worry about me surpassing you in that area.

Cheers

In the original picture, I really like how the arc of the gradient over the sun just approaches the top of the frame without being cropped. Technically I think it's very much in line with the quality of the tanker pictures. That is more about the content rather than the technicals of composition. For me, a 1/3 2/3 ration seems to work out really nicely unless there is something in the sky to draw attention.

I am envious of folks that have good access to places like this. I am surrounded by mountains and hollows which offer a totally different challenge.

There are some really nice pictures in this thread. It's very interesting to see the progression from pre-post to post process. It's also interesting to see how people interpret various comments. I guess I didn't see anything critical that was not in response to something critical. Takes and opinions on the DJI hardware seem secondary and I am sure there is some pixel to pixel comparisons to support both in other areas of the forum.

One thing I did like to see was how much information was captured in the darker areas of the beached boat even though it was processed from a copy on the interwebs. In most of these pictures, I like the weighting of the open space of the sky with the details contained in the areas below the horizon.

Thanks for sharing and keep shooting.

Reactions: Dr. Bill 1969
In the original picture, I really like how the arc of the gradient over the sun just approaches the top of the frame without being cropped. Technically I think it's very much in line with the quality of the tanker pictures. That is more about the content rather than the technicals of composition. For me, a 1/3 2/3 ration seems to work out really nicely unless there is something in the sky to draw attention.

I am envious of folks that have good access to places like this. I am surrounded by mountains and hollows which offer a totally different challenge.

There are some really nice pictures in this thread. It's very interesting to see the progression from pre-post to post process. It's also interesting to see how people interpret various comments. I guess I didn't see anything critical that was not in response to something critical. Takes and opinions on the DJI hardware seem secondary and I am sure there is some pixel to pixel comparisons to support both in other areas of the forum.

One thing I did like to see was how much information was captured in the darker areas of the beached boat even though it was processed from a copy on the interwebs. In most of these pictures, I like the weighting of the open space of the sky with the details contained in the areas below the horizon.

Thanks for sharing and keep shooting.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Here is the original photograph directly from my SD card. FYI, I'm not a photographer and have never made that claim. I posted the photograph in response to to a fellow flyer who, like me, favors to take photographs during the time of day when it's not quite dark.

In posting it(the picture) I expected either a like ,no response or some tips from more experienced photographers. Something on the order of your generous remarks. Not adversarial comments"...no it's not low light..." or the inference that I didn't know what I was doing. I know I don't have a clue about aerial photography or any kind there of. If I was an expert my photos wouldn't be posted on this forum.

Whew, feels better getting that out of my system!
DJI_0009.JPGDJI_0009.JPG

Last edited:
Well for a no photographer you take some nice pictures. Flying the drones is a ton of fun though.

That first one has a lot of potential if you processed the RAW file. I do mine with Adobe Camera Raw and would drop a gradual neutral density filter over the sky to bring back some details and color. If you don't want to do that kind of post processing you'll get better results just shooting jpg and be able to fit many more shots on a memory card.

Here's another un-touched low level still taken by my Old Lady. The bird was hovering at about 20 feet. The light came from the church(Antiochian Orthodox Church/Hunt Valley, Md.) and a partially obscured full moon.Antiochian Church..jpg

Here's another un-touched low level still taken by my Old Lady. The bird was hovering at about 20 feet. The light came from the church(Antiochian Orthodox Church/Hunt Valley, Md.) and a partially obscured full moon.View attachment 74611
I like that one a lot.

In posting it(the picture) I expected either a like ,no response or some tips from more experienced photographers. Something on the order of your generous remarks. Not adversarial comments"...no it's not low light..." or the inference that I didn't know what I was doing. I know I don't have a clue about aerial photography or any kind there of. If I was an expert my photos wouldn't be posted on this forum.
I'm sorry you took things that way.
But pointing out that the images were not low light photography when you complained that the DJI camera doesn't do well at low light photography, was not passing any judgement on your images or making any inference about your ability.
I was simply explaining what the term means.
I only posted my images after a snarky comment from another member.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Here is the original photograph directly from my SD card. FYI, I'm not a photographer and have never made that claim. I posted the photograph in response to to a fellow flyer who, like me, favors to take photographs during the time of day when it's not quite dark.

Whew, feels better getting that out of my system!
View attachment 74602View attachment 74602
I love those kind of pictures. I think this is a very nice one. Those shots taken close to sunset or during the blue hour ( up to 1 hour after sunset)
You said this one is the original one from your SD card . If you don‘t mind I would like to get the raw format to play with it to make some recommendations.I‘m not the expert however I know one who could help.

in regards to comments to Meta4, they may have stemmed from another thread.
There was nothing at all critical in what I wrote.
It was simple information, it's not low light photography when you shoot straight at the sun.
Low light is when you have to use a slow shutter speed because there's not much light to work with.

Since you asked .. here's some low light photography
DJI_0364-400b-X4.jpg

Wheras this is staring at the rising sun but working on the shadows in the foreground:
DJI_0311a-X4.jpg

Thanks for the replies. To be fair i was in a crappy mood when i commented on your commenting skills Meta4.
I like and 'liked' your second reply. Very good Examples. Taken with a M2 Im guessing?
I love following ships out to sea.

Not trying to 1up you, derail the thread, but i found this on youtube the other day.
So to the people who think it's dangerous to follow ships...
I think it's clear they have other concerns than a hovering seagull:

Storms, Disgruntled/Drunk Captains, Ship Company going Chapter 13. This vid has some of each.
I only posted the link. Didn't want to derail your thread OP

XXXhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToWgPNx6kt0

Looks great! What fstop did you use?

First, many thanks for the thumbs up!

In response to your question as to what F stop did I use. The short answer is I don't have a clue!

The still was a lucky accident. While flying/exploring over an abandoned slag/cement plant(about 1.5 miles distant) the bird's low battery indicator(set @ 30%) was just about to go off and not wanting to dunk the bird, or return listening to its incessant beep I hit the RTH. Meanwhile the setting sun was directly in my eyes and clouds were passing over it(the sun). One minute it was light, the next dark. As the bird began its descent(@12% battery) my Old lady, the beached vessel and the river appeared on the tablet. Then, for just a second the sun showed though the clouds and I hit the button.

Reactions: Simmo
Hi,
I come back to your lovely picture. I have downloaded the one you have provided in this thread. Then I processed it through the AirMagic software.
Shows already a bit different. Not sure whether you like it.
If you want more provide me best with the raw-format.

• Love
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh