DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Fly Zone (NFZ) Mavic Automatic Response?

JohnLietzke

Reactions
When entering an No Fly Zone what do the Mavic drones do?

As there are two different apps use the DJI Go 4 & DJI Fly app are there different automated responses.

I have read mixed responses in another forum. Some use have said it initates a Forced Landing, most were using the DJI Go 4 app. While others said there Mavic just stopped and would not go into the No Fly Zone, in this case most were using the DJI Fly app.

Does anyone have any finite information or personal experience about what happens when entering a NFZ is detected and which app or drone were you using?

As a side note:
1) DJI Go 4 app - Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom and older drones.
2) DJI Fly app - Mavic Mini, Mavic Air 2 & Mini 2

• Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
I've heard mixed reports too. Could be evolution in response when authorization zones were first implemented.

The app doesn't control the response, it's the firmware in the AC that does it.

I believe it's supposed to stop outside the zone as if it were a physical obstacle, but if it should manage to end up in the zone, such as inertia or blown inside by wind, it will land. Last year a Mini was saved when it succumbed to winds and blew into an authorization zone where it then landed.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Not sure where it was in all the DJI info I have been reading from there site, since ordering my Mav Air 2.

But it did mention that if the Drones loses GPS and enters a NFZ and then regains its GPS, that it will then Auto land ?

I tested a P3S at our SO as it had one around it. Had it in back of truck and wouldn’t spin up. Drove a hundred feet out of it and it did. Flew to the nfz and it just stoped. I could go up and fly side to side but not in. It did not try to land. Almost tried to fly all the way
around it but didn’t.
B9399EDC-948F-4FCE-B456-055B0696BFB0.jpeg637031F1-685F-4E28-A7E9-3E889DF43B9B.jpeg

It did not try to land. Almost tried to fly all the way
around it but didn’t.
I‘ve experienced a similar thing, received warning on screen that I was approaching an Authorization Zone, continued till I reached it, then froze like I hit a wall. It would go up and down and backwards only [M2P & MP].

But then I’m on vacation visiting Dad, and as I approached the obvious NFZ that is Pearl Harbor Naval Station and Honolulu Airport, my M2P kept flying into the zone, without any DJI warning. So I reversed course immediately and landed, just as a Marine Blackhawk barreled through the area at 300 feet.

I‘ve experienced a similar thing, received warning on screen that I was approaching an Authorization Zone, continued till I reached it, then froze like I hit a wall. It would go up and down and backwards only [M2P & MP].

But then I’m on vacation visiting Dad, and as I approached the obvious NFZ that is Pearl Harbor Naval Station and Honolulu Airport, my M2P kept flying into the zone, without any DJI warning. So I reversed course immediately and landed, just as a Marine Blackhawk barreled through the area at 300 feet.
I never new the Marines had the BlackHawks, they certainly didn't when I was in, but times change. It was always a Army Heli as I flew in them in Panama for joint Ops. Anyway..... As mentioned to the OP. You should get a warning when flying in towards a NFZ and a speed reduction or height reduction as it would apply. IF so I would spin 180 and get out of dodge, as mentioned if somehow you get into a NFZ autoland will happen! Other than that it should fly to and not fly forward...Then back out and again get out of area.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I never new the Marines had the BlackHawks, they certainly didn't when I was in, but times change. It was always a Army Heli as I flew in them in Panama for joint Ops.
I stand corrected: They were Navy UH-60s. Schofield Barracks has Army Blackhawks, which are conducting exercises around the island this week. But they were the gray Navy variant of the Blackhawk that I saw at Pearl.

Thank you for your service! We may have crossed paths in Panama, but thats for a whole ‘nother forum.

Last edited:
Flying my Mini, I approached a training area at Fort Lee, Virginia. a restricted zone. The Mini just stopped when it got to the boundary. As previously mentioned, it would go in all directions except forward. Turning, in an attempt to enter sideways or backwards, didn’t work either.

I never new the Marines had the BlackHawks, they certainly didn't when I was in, but times change. It was always a Army Heli as I flew in them in Panama for joint Ops. Anyway..... As mentioned to the OP. You should get a warning when flying in towards a NFZ and a speed reduction or height reduction as it would apply. IF so I would spin 180 and get out of dodge, as mentioned if somehow you get into a NFZ autoland will happen! Other than that it should fly to and not fly forward...Then back out and again get out of area.
Just a note concerning Marine helicopters. You’re correct that the Marines haven’t fielded any Blackhawks for regular operational missions, but they do have some for Presidential/VP use. Per Wikipedia:
“VH-60N White Hawk "White Top": Modified UH-60A with some features from the SH-60B/F Seahawks.[138] Is one of the VIP-configured USMC helicopter models that perform Presidential and VIP transport as Marine One. The VH-60N entered service in 1988. “

I've got personal experience with this.

Situation #1 - right next to my old office was a Sheriff's Dept. Work Release program. It was in a NFZ, shaped like a square:

1604769417889.png

If I took my Mavic Pro off from my office, it would work fine (I did get a warning about the nearby NFZ). If I tried to fly into the NFZ, the drone would slow and stop at the edge of the NFZ, as if it was a force field. I could fly all around the red zone above, but if I tried to cross into it, my Mavic Pro would slow and stop before "going in". It never tried to land.

Situation #2 - I live at the edge of a "runway approach NFZ" for class D airspace. I'm about 4.7 miles from the local airport. The aircraft will not even start the motors in these "blue" zones:
1604770211236.png
However, if I move to the yellow zone, I only get an "Enhanced warning zone" message and can take off just fine. But I try to fly into the blue zone, the same thing happens that happens in Situation #1 above. It acts like in invisible force field.

Situation #3 - I live near an old nuclear power plant. It was de-commissioned 40 years ago. However, on my Phantom 3 Advanced, I was flying around it no problem, but when I got near the cooling towers, the drone immediately started landing, no warning! I had no idea what was going on, so I immediately flew it back to where I took off from and let it land. Right after that, I tried my Mavic Pro, and it had no problem flying around the cooling towers. It is NOT a NFZ on the map.

I was flying my MA2 near a no fly zone yesterday, when it reached the boundary it would stop. I could go up, down, backwards. Got the message from DJI asking if I wanted to unlock. Entered my phone number, got a text with the auth code, put that in and I was good to go. Flew 3 batteries worth. I was up around 400 feet when I was told there was an aircraft nearby. A low flying private craft. I immediately lowered my altitude until he passed, then continued flying. Everything worked just as it should have.

Reactions: jimlips
The Marines us both the BlackHawk and SeaHawk a naval variation of the S-70 airframe.

I tested a P3S at our SO as it had one around it. Had it in back of truck and wouldn’t spin up. Drove a hundred feet out of it and it did. Flew to the nfz and it just stoped. I could go up and fly side to side but not in. It did not try to land. Almost tried to fly all the way
around it but didn’t.
View attachment 116665View attachment 116666
I experienced the same thing with my M2P, MM and Mini , respectively.

Reactions: dirkclod
If you are on the outside border of an NFZ, then it will be a forcefield as long as the AC can prevent it from crossing the boundary. But if the AC drifts in, such as blow away, then it will land.

But there had been reports of earlier implementations causing it to land.
That’s why I tested that way back. Had read all type of issues
about running into a nfz.
All I could figure was possible one popping up when you were in it
and it not being able to come out and it doing a low battery landing.
Or being on the back side of one and not being able to RTH.
What I couldn’t figure out was being I couldn’t spin up being in it
would having one drop on you being already in it would it kill the motors and drop or just stay on but not let you out. Then land after
battery ran out.

I think the Marines have both variants the SeaHawk and BlackHawk. It is just the way the airframe is outfitted. The Coast Guard in San Diego has one on the new King Stallion helicopters it huge.

The only place I have been close to the Military restricted area is off of Coronado Naval Airbase and it was out over the ocean so I was hesitant to test out what happens.

That’s why I tested that way back. Had read all type of issues
about running into a nfz.
All I could figure was possible one popping up when you were in it
and it not being able to come out and it doing a low battery landing.
Or being on the back side of one and not being able to RTH.
What I couldn’t figure out was being I couldn’t spin up being in it
would having one drop on you being already in it would it kill the motors and drop or just stay on but not let you out. Then land after
battery ran out.
It will land gracefully you manage to get in it. Thats what saved a Mini from being blown away beyond radio range and lost. It was blown into an authorization zone and landed.

It will land gracefully you manage to get in it. Thats what saved a Mini from being blown away beyond radio range and lost. It was blown into an authorization zone and landed.
Landed as in autolanded because of low battery ?

Basically:
- If the aicraft is in a zone and knows it, it won't start motors.
- If the aircraft comes towards one while in flight it stops/rides the border
- If the aircraft is airborne in a zone before it knows it's in one (lost GPS lock, took off before GPS lock, TFR getting activated while airborne) or is forced into one (aircraft can't stay on the border due to excessive wind) it force lands.

The way it lands in the 3rd case may depend on the model/version and type of zone. In the authorization zone I have around my place the Fly app gives me a 90sec countdown to get out before my MM2 force lands.

The old reports were usually cases of TFRs getting activated while airborne. Take off, all is good, pilot had data enabled on phone, and the app picked a temporary nfz for that location from the net while flying.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf