DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Fly zones questions

Dallyg

Reactions
I have ready many threads on DJI's No fly zone constrictions. I have tried many things to get released to fly in my own back yard, to no avail. How can I fly in my own back yard? I dont break any laws, and I dont fly higher than about 60 feet, but I continue to get the NFZ note on my controller without any other allowances letting me get signed off. I have done this before, but lately I cannot.

Any advice would help otherwise my Mavic is just a paper weight.

Thank you!

What AC are you flying ?
Are you using the FAA B4ufly app, might give some clues to the restrictions your facing

Also DJI's Fly Safe might shed some light on it as well

Hello, I feel the same way. The instruction or the disconnection with the warning is simply not correct.

Lately I've been flying in the Florida Keys, off Key Colony Beach. All the non-DJI apps (Kittyhawk, Airmap, B4UFly) show me to be in an area of no restrictions. However, when I load the UAV Forecast app it clearly shows that I am in a DJI NoFlyZone. It's the NFZ that requires you to check a box and assume full responsibility for the flight and is associated with Marathon international airport (MTHh), in spite of the fact that I am in class G airspace

Maybe if you download and install UAV Forecast it will show you where you are and what you need to do to fly? Aside from that, I find it to be a very good weather forecasting and current conditions app.

With all due respect, B4UFly app is junk
Originally created by the US Government so flawed they asked KittyHawk to bail them out.

Use AirMap - 100% reliable and capable of processing LLANC requests.
One tip, make sure to zoom in close to where you are flying.
The app shows ALL areas of concern on the current view.
IE, there could be a NFZ 10 miles away from you, it will alert you to it but does not affect your flight locally.

I have already installed the UAV Forecast App and note the special features, as well as some others. The DJI no-fly card gives no restrictions on my location. Still I get the warnings etc.

I have already installed the UAV Forecast App and note the special features, as well as some others. The DJI no-fly card gives no restrictions on my location. Still I get the warnings etc.

Oh, you can get warnings that an airfield is nearby with the DJI Fly Safe databases.
Plus, the warning can be so broad/ you are so deep in the zone you cannot tell the change in map color.
I am just on the edge of a warning zone so I see it clearly:
Warning.JPG
You can also get enhanced warnings that you need to "accept responsibility" to fly.
Just saw the Warning zones and enhanced warning zones are not checked by default under the DJI GEO map

I appreciate all of the imput. I have tried other apps, and I still cannot fly at my own home. I have a couple 'D' zones near my home and I am aware they exist, but I dont get anything on my phone to check anything, to be able to fly. I have been and know other pilots and would never compromise the air space. I just want to fly in my own back yard and test my Mavic. Its total BS

I appreciate all of the imput. I have tried other apps, and I still cannot fly at my own home. I have a couple 'D' zones near my home and I am aware they exist, but I dont get anything on my phone to check anything, to be able to fly. I have been and know other pilots and would never compromise the air space. I just want to fly in my own back yard and test my Mavic. Its total BS
Go to FAA DroneZone... they are very helpful. You can get up to 2 year clearance for your location.., I have one for over 2 square miles that encroaches on 2 different airport NFZs...
I have never had to ask DJI for permission to fly.

Go to FAA DroneZone... they are very helpful. You can get up to 2 year clearance for your location.., I have one for over 2 square miles that encroaches on 2 different airport NFZs...
I have never had to ask DJI for permission to fly.

It is not drone zone that is stopping him.
DJI is not letting him take off.
I have had 2 occasions to ask permission to fly.
Vegas and that 3000ft clearance for the STEM rockets I videoed.

But he says there are no zones around him ???

Understand now... weird. If not in my practice area I use AirMap... and as I said I have never contacted DJI for permission to fly.
Guess OP needs to contact them.

Reactions: pmshop
Negative. I stated that I am near a Class D area, and have been for the last 15 years. PMshop is correct. Its DJI that is not letting me fly. I tried using Litchi Vue yesterday, and was able to power up the Mavic, but there was nothing showing on the screen, so I didnt want to fly as I would not be able to see anything. I powered down to see what the issue was, and my controller said "NFZ" right after powering down. Then it would not power up again.

Freaking frustrating. DJI can have their freaking drone!!

Negative. I stated that I am near a Class D area, and have been for the last 15 years. PMshop is correct. Its DJI that is not letting me fly. I tried using Litchi Vue yesterday, and was able to power up the Mavic, but there was nothing showing on the screen, so I didnt want to fly as I would not be able to see anything. I powered down to see what the issue was, and my controller said "NFZ" right after powering down. Then it would not power up again.

Freaking frustrating. DJI can have their freaking drone!!

I understand the privacy thing.
But I would talk with DJI at [email protected]
let them know your back yard coordinates and the aircraft serial number.
Then, they can unlock you for a year at a time or more.

It is easy as pie

My issue was flying in what I call a "dual authorization zone" where two unlock zones overlap.
Within 10 minutes through emails my Mavic Air was unlocked for both zones.

And this is interesting to say the least...you should be able to turn it on at any rate.
It needs power to GPS to know where it is so it can self lock/ unlock.
You just won't be able to take off when locked.

I agree with you, Freaking frustrating. Just don't know why DJI is putting us through this, it is not their job to act like sky cops, as drone pilots we are responsible for legal operating! Like you all I want to do is operate and be able to check out my drone in my own back yard at low attitude but DJI won't even let me start the drone.
I have spent hours playing with the various app's etc
Fred
Cape Cod and Lighthouse Point Florida

It reduces DJI's liability apparently.
Can't take off near an airport or fly near a jail...can't do anything prohibited.
Hate to say but they have a good point.

But the one part of policing thing they do that I hate and read of the consequences...
DJI lets you fly in a future TFR zone and then shut you down by making you land when the zone activated with you in it.

One guy lost his P4Pro in a lake because he forgot about the TFR.
Activated while he was out there, tried to fly it home with full sticks but it still "landed" on the water.

Agree. You can use all the apps in the world to see various NFZ or caution zones but in the end if you cant take off then we should point the OP to the DJI FlySafe website to request permission. In fact I use the FlySafe map to determine basic ability to fly at your location. Whether the other maps say yes/no, it comes down to DJI to allow you. (You still need to take into consideration all the airspace regulations...)

Reactions: pmshop
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31