DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No iPad Mini 5 - what display to choose?

Lancer X

Reactions
New pilot here - my Mavic Pro should arrive today. I have been waiting for today's Apple Event to help me choose a display. Given that the iPad Mini line is seemingly being phased out, what are your recommendations for a display?

My (day job) smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy S7, but so many people advising against using Android-based phones.

Do I still go for an iPad Mini 4 and MavMount, or will it become under-powered too quickly? Choose an iPhone or iPhone Plus so that it fits in the unmodified controller?

Application-wise, I am interested in everything from photography and videography, to mapping, modeling, and inspection. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hey Lancer!

Apple, from reports, does seem the most reliable, having said that, I use a Samsung S5 with absolutely no issues at all. I have an iPad mini 4 which is rock solid connection wise, but display doesn't cut it in day light too well. I use the Samsung Tab S2 which requires an odd start up sequence (due to usb detection issue), I'm ok with it but the advantage is the display is much better in daylight, it has daylight setting which does improve considerably. Once connected it's fine, never had drop outs or app crashes with it. My Samsung Note 4 however keeps dropping the app. My flying buddy has the Samsung Note 8 and that works flawlessly and has a great screen.

Apple iPads / Phones are great despite the screen brightness, nothing a hood / sun shade wouldn't sort out, but there are also some great alternatives out there.

Reactions: Lancer X
I have a iPad Mini 2 that I purchased not long after purchasing my Phantom 3 and now that I have upgraded to the mavic, I have had absolutely no problems with the mini 2 . It's been great so far.

Reactions: newguy and Lancer X
New pilot here - my Mavic Pro should arrive today. I have been waiting for today's Apple Event to help me choose a display. Given that the iPad Mini line is seemingly being phased out, what are your recommendations for a display?

My (day job) smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy S7, but so many people advising against using Android-based phones.

Do I still go for an iPad Mini 4 and MavMount, or will it become under-powered too quickly? Choose an iPhone or iPhone Plus so that it fits in the unmodified controller?

Application-wise, I am interested in everything from photography and videography, to mapping, modeling, and inspection. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I use iPad mini 2 with no issues. Smooth as silk. I'm a converted PC man.

Reactions: newguy and Lancer X
If purchasing for the long-term, the easy decision would be to go with the iPad Mini 4 cellular version and not have to worry about upgrading for a while. It's a proven solid performer and reduces the anxiety associated with potential crashes and disconnects.

Definitely get some sort of mount for the tablet. The iPad Mini 4 barely fits the stock mount and is awkward to hold. The mount will be personal preference. I personally use the SkyReat mount.

Disclaimer: I'm an Android/PC/Linux guy so that recommendation is not an easy one to swallow but it seems to be the best (seamless and pain-free) option at this point in time.

I
If purchasing for the long-term, the easy decision would be to go with the iPad Mini 4 cellular version and not have to worry about upgrading for a while. It's a proven solid performer and reduces the anxiety associated with potential crashes and disconnects.

Definitely get some sort of mount for the tablet. The iPad Mini 4 barely fits the stock mount and is awkward to hold. The mount will be personal preference. I personally use the SkyReat mount.

Disclaimer: I'm an Android/PC/Linux guy so that recommendation is not an easy one to swallow but it seems to be the best (seamless and pain-free) option at this point in time.

Understand but I believe iPad mini fits perfectly. Snug, won't fall out. Good design. I hold Mavic controler by its handles with iPad fitting under small fingers. Fits my hands nicely. I see the benifits of a separate handle...nevertheless don't want something else to hall around.

Excellent guys - thanks! Firmware all updated, and hopefully the weather is conducive for a maiden flight tomorrow evening!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada