DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No zoom speed/smoothness adjustment?

SkywalkerFeng

Reactions
Site
www.instagram.com
Currently when I shoot video in explorer mode and want to zoom in/out, even the slowest zoom speed is too fast, regardless of how sensitive I move the dial. For truly cinematic footage, user need to be able to adjust the zoom speed to a much slower level. This is similar to the adjustment for Max Horizontal Speed, Max Control Speed, or Yaw Smoothness in Settings - Control - Gain & Expo Tuning. User should be able to adjust zoom speed/smoothness, based on his own personal preference.

WechatIMG1765.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Interesting.

On my MA2, the zoom dial is sensitive to the amount of force on the wheel.

Little pressure, slow zoom and vice-versa.

There isn't a setting on the MA2 for zoom speed, just the amount of force on the dial.

Perhaps it's similar for the Mavic 3 PRO?

I know the aircraft are different, but some things carry over.

Just thinking out loud. 🤔

Dont fully move the dial, just move it as needed.

I tried - the problem is, even the slowest zoom speed is too fast, regardless of how sensitive I move the dial. For truly cinematic footage, user need to be able to adjust the zoom speed to a much slower level.

Last edited:
Don’t have a Mavic 3 Pro so just guessing, could this be due to the controller? It looks like you are using the DJI RC from the photo. What about on the RC Pro? I can’t recall it doing this on my Mavic 3 and RC Pro.

Chris

Don’t have a Mavic 3 Pro so just guessing, could this be due to the controller? It looks like you are using the DJI RC from the photo. What about on the RC Pro? I can’t recall it doing this on my Mavic 3 and RC Pro.

Chris

Did you get really nice "slow and smooth" zoom in/out experience with RC Pro?

Did you get really nice "slow and smooth" zoom in/out experience with RC Pro?
I looked back at footage I took the other day using the explore mode to find local 19th century ruins and on my Mavic 3 the digital zoom speed did not appear to be locked as the speed was variable as I zoomed. Other than the jump from the main wide-angle lens to the 7X lens it was quite smooth but I wasn't aiming for smoothness as I was just exploring to locate ruins to photograph.

If I can get out tomorrow I'll specifically try and see if I can do a 'slow and smooth' digital zoom in/out in explore mode. I'll also test to see if the zoom speed varies. Today was too windy and the blackflies were terrible.

Chris

I looked back at footage I took the other day using the explore mode to find local 19th century ruins and on my Mavic 3 the digital zoom speed did not appear to be locked as the speed was variable as I zoomed. Other than the jump from the main wide-angle lens to the 7X lens it was quite smooth but I wasn't aiming for smoothness as I was just exploring to locate ruins to photograph.

If I can get out tomorrow I'll specifically try and see if I can do a 'slow and smooth' digital zoom in/out in explore mode. I'll also test to see if the zoom speed varies. Today was too windy and the blackflies were terrible.

Chris

I do get variable zoom speed with RC controller. The real issue here is that even the slowest zoom speed is too fast to capture truly cinematic footage, and it is not adjustable.

I feel the situation here is similar to the Horizontal Speed in Cine mode. When DJI initially released Mavic 3, the Horizontal Speed in Cine mode is fixed to 5m/sec, and lot of pilots complained about that. They said 5m/sec is not slow enough to capture a smooth footage. It took DJI almost a year to add user-adjustable Horizontal Speed in settings, and now we can change that anywhere between 1-5m/sec.

Last edited:
Either zoom it in post or shoot at a high frame rate and slow it down in post...sometimes you have to improvise.
Good point, as it is only a digital zoom anyway! Any change of the telephoto cameras without digital zoom requires stopping the video and restarting it.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13