DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Noob Q: Mavics SD card folder structure & file naming

bizzy_drone

Reactions
Not sure I understand the folder and file naming structure? Previously (a few weeks ago) when I'd fly and start taking photos they were all dumped in the cards "dcim\100media" folder no matter what app or how many batteries I flew. Today however I flew 3 missions and each ended up in a different folder on the sd card "dcim\100media" & "dcim\101media" & "dcim\102media" - anyone know why this is and what triggers a new folder created??

Also naming the files - I would love if each photo that mavic took would get a new and unique file name.. Is that possible? right now it starts DJI_0001 DJI_0002 DJI_0003 etc... but it always resets either after a new folder is autocreated (see above paragraph) or the next time I clear the card? I had an issue where I had to upload photos that were from the same day and wanted to group them into the same folder and some of the files were named the exact same name - became a PITA to make sure and not overwrite them and review to confirm they werent duplicates.. ??

As far as I know, they're always named DJI_0001 through DJI_0999, and after 999, it creates a new folder.

It never seems to create a new folder before then, for me. But then, I have it set to keep counting up from the last number taken no matter what flight number I'm on, and I understand there's also a setting somewhere in DJI Go that tells the Mavic to start counting fresh from DJI_0001 for every flight, in which case I could see it creating a 101_MEDIA folder and upward.

Also, it seems like the Mavic doesn't even check to see if the previous folders are full or even contain anything- if you have a cleared-out 100MEDIA folder, but you also have a 101MEDIA folder with some photos in it, my Mavic would save them to 101MEDIA.

It sounds like yours may be set to create a new folder for each flight. I expect it'll go ahead and create a ###MEDIA folder one number higher than the other media folders each flight and concentrate on filling that with pictures and video.

As far as I know, DJI drones only name their files with those numbers, but...

If you want to make sure every file has a different name, set it to not reset the file names at the start of every flight, and than unless you take 1000 pictures, you can at least copy and use them all by organizing the folder's contents by date modified.

It's not a perfect solution, sure. But it's the best I've got.

Reactions: bizzy_drone
not sure if this helps but you could possibly make a habit of renaming all of the pics with a date or something just before you move them, I use "Fly 2107 04 03" - simply selecting all, then right clicking on the first one and choosing to rename them in a similar manner - it will number them starting with the second one. .. I also format my sd card between each use. seems like it helps me anyway.
lots of my cameras use a similar folder structure and naming convention as the mavic -
I would like to find the setting where they keep numbering up from last number as well -

Reactions: flipf
I would love if each photo that mavic took would get a new and unique file name.. Is that possible? right now it starts DJI_0001 DJI_0002 DJI_0003 etc... but it always resets either after a new folder is autocreated

Post #5 in this discussion
File naming system...
provides directions to the setting that adresses this.

If anyone is looking for this setting, it's in the app under your camera setting (where you set your ISO, Shutter, EV, etc.) from there click the gear tab/icon on the top right. Scroll down to the setting "File Index Mode" and change it from the default Reset to Continuous. Your Mavic has to be on and connected for the setting to be changed!

Reactions: bizzy_drone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertexshope11