DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Northeast Pennsylvania!

Just checking in.. new mavic owner in the scranton/poconos area.

Looks like most of this thread has been about the philly area though, not quite NEPA to me.. lol

Just checking in.. new mavic owner in the scranton/poconos area.

Looks like most of this thread has been about the philly area though, not quite NEPA to me.. lol
Yeah, we're a bit more active down this way

understandable.. maybe as the weather improves, more poconos people will come out of the woodwork

understandable.. maybe as the weather improves, more poconos people will come out of the woodwork

Yeah we tend to be closer to Philly...but when the weather gets nicer I think a weekend drive up to the pocnons for some flying will be fun idea.

Yeah we tend to be closer to Philly...but when the weather gets nicer I think a weekend drive up to the pocnons for some flying will be fun idea.

i've seen it mentioned.. drive a little further and do pine gorge (pa grand canyon)

i'll keep checking back, spring is almost here

Hey welcome to the group. I go up to the Poconos (Lehighton area) every weekends from May until late October. I'll let you know when I come up to see if we can get together.

Hi Guys,

Just got my mavic and just wondering if anyone here from Lansdale, PA area and where is a good place to fly the mavic. There are a lot of school fields in my area but I am not sure if it is ok to fly it during weekends.

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

Just got my mavic and just wondering if anyone here from Lansdale, PA area and where is a good place to fly the mavic. There are a lot of school fields in my area but I am not sure if it is ok to fly it during weekends.

Thanks!
Welcome & congrats on the new Mavic...there is a group of us that usually meet and fly all sorts of stuff at warminster community park. Keep following this thread for updates.

Reactions: superzagu
Hi Guys,

Thanks!

I'm in Telford which isn't far from Lansdale. In telford itself there are a couple schools you can use on weekends if the fields aren't being used North Penn High School has a big field. But the issue in Lansdale that is potentially more helicopter traffic then usual. You have the hospital in the middle of Lansdale and Merck flying quite often. So be aware of that.

In my area, there is Franconia Community park which is huge and great for flying.

But for the best in the area, Warminster is the biggest. Lots of fun to fly there. We'll have to get a flight date after easter sometime.

Thanks @Anthony and @spiderpig for your responses!

@spiderpig, i am not sure if you are familiar with Moyer Airport. On B4UFLY app and AIRMAP app, it shows this airport is within 5 miles where i am at but there is no number provided and the number on the internet does not seem to be correct. The Guardian app, Hover app and DJI map does not shows this airport at all. So in this case, what do you usually do?

Thanks!

Thanks @Anthony and @spiderpig for your responses!

@spiderpig, i am not sure if you are familiar with Moyer Airport. On B4UFLY app and AIRMAP app, it shows this airport is within 5 miles where i am at but there is no number provided and the number on the internet does not seem to be correct. The Guardian app, Hover app and DJI map does not shows this airport at all. So in this case, what do you usually do?

Thanks!

Moyer Airport info:
https://www.airnav.com/airport/3PA9

It's a privately owned airport so I wouldn't call them unlessI was doing commercial work in the area (I'm part 107 certified). It's also non-towered meaning any aircraft traffic would be using the CTAF or Unicom channels anyway. But in lansdale, helicopters are going to be more of the issue. When I worked at Merck, I was at the UG site where they land their helicopter and that thing would come in about 4-5 times a day.

@spiderpig you probably know my company and the people who works in my company. Merck is one of our customers around the area. :)

Back to the topic, thanks for that. I actually left a voicemail to the owner that I will be flying around. Also, as a newbie I thought I only have to worry about the airports and not the heliports/helipad. Is that true or should i still contact those? Although you already mentioned that earlier.

Also, what is the best app to use to check whether you are in restricted air space?

Thanks!

@spiderpig you probably know my company and the people who works in my company. Merck is one of our customers around the area. :)

Back to the topic, thanks for that. I actually left a voicemail to the owner that I will be flying around. Also, as a newbie I thought I only have to worry about the airports and not the heliports/helipad. Is that true or should i still contact those? Although you already mentioned that earlier.

Also, what is the best app to use to check whether you are in restricted air space?

Thanks!

I left Merck about 2 years ago...they decided the IT departments should be out of Singapore and Prague...so my job was separated. IT sucks because my commute rocked. I worked in Malvern now so my drive is a lot longer.

If your operating close to the Merck UG site or the hospital I would alert them. I know there is a park that is close to the UG site on the northern side that is nice. But generally helipads I just listen for the helicopters. Also, keep in mind that Wing airfield traffic pattern might be close to the area as well.

As for apps, I have plenty:
Airspace apps: B4UFly( FAA created), AirMap, and Kittyhawk.io. The latter are a bit more sophisticated but all of them essentially get the data from the same place.
weather: UAV Forecast

@spiderpig Thanks for your inputs. I like how Kittyhawk shows the distance from the airports, I can easily tell how far I am from them.

By the way, for flying at warminster community park, do you need a permit to fly your drone? Is there a specific place in the park that you should fly Or you can just go there and fly within the park?

Thanks!

@spiderpig Thanks for your inputs. I like how Kittyhawk shows the distance from the airports, I can easily tell how far I am from them.

By the way, for flying at warminster community park, do you need a permit to fly your drone? Is there a specific place in the park that you should fly Or you can just go there and fly within the park?

Thanks!
You don't need to have a permit to fly...but I would recommend AMA membership since it covers liability in case you damage property or a person.

We usually park on the corner next to he soccer fields. It lets us fly away from where most people are so were not in the way....plenty of flying room there.
View media item 353

Thanks!

I live in Doylestown but I work in Colmar and do a lot of side drone jobs in Lansdale (107 cert.) there's a good field at county line rd and east walnut st. Definitely be on alert for the helicopters. Thankfully most of the jobs I do in those areas are straight up no more than 100ft and last about 5 minutes I wouldn't want to make a habit of flying in that area.

I'm not sure you're going to get anywhere trying to contact anyone at the Moyer airfield. last time i checked both of the houses on that field are for sale.

A nice more scenic place to fly would be peace valley park haven't had any issues flying there.

@rccrazy30 thanks for your input!

Peace Valley Park is closer to Lansdale and I know that there is a bike trail there as well. If weather permits, i'll visit either one of the park this weekend.

Any hazards in the area or anything to be worry about? I heard that there are a lot of people walking in this park. Is it okay to fly over the water? Thanks!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka