DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Notifying residential areas of your presence!

chrisutopia

Reactions
I wonder if you can help me? I have a job that requires regular return visits on a weekly or maybe a monthly basis to photograph and do videos of a new wing that is to be built on a existing hospital. Depending upon the client, this could go on for some months as it is to document building work. The surrounding area it's quite built up with residential properties roughly 30 to 50 m away which will need notifying of my operations.

Do you know if it is acceptable to notify these residential properties only once, and let them know I will be returning on Say, the first day of every month, weather depending of course. If I have to notify each individual residence every time I go back this would greatly alter the work load and I would have to change my prices accordingly.

The idea I had was to, in conjunction with the hospital, notify the area as a whole and let them know during the build process of the new wing of the hospital, that Drone/UAV photography would be taking place. I Will of course contact the police and gain an incident number so they are notified of my presence every time I fly.

Is this acceptable within the CAA guide lines?

If you could help me in any way that would be great.

Normally a hospital sits in a large area of grounds so that could get past the proximity to residents rules.
I would think that owing to it being for a hospital (everyone likes helping hospitals) if a flyer printed on the hospital’s headed paper was posted to the residents & you can get a confirmation letter off the police saying you have informed them of the project you would be good to go.
If the Police or a resident says no I would visit them in person to explain that it is all for the good of the hospital.
This is only my opinion but it’s what I would try.

It might be easier to just wear a vest identifying you in an official capacity, then have a talk with the few residents that still approach and want to talk to you about it (which would likely be a much smaller number of people than contacting all local residents). The vest, or a nearby sign, could state your business.

I don't do commercial shooting/flying; But if I did and my work was something like real estate, it would get very tiring having to notify -- much less speak to in person -- each local resident. I would not start that precedent.

Chris

Reactions: THE CYBORG
If you post something informing residents ahead of time you pretty much guarantee major headaches and attempts to stop you from performing your work. I’ve been there.

It’s best to simply bring your credentials and that’s it. If someone approaches you, you explain what you’re doing, but of course you will have gotten the shot by then.

Also for progressional, I never go the same day and time. I try to vary it so as not to be predictable. Of course the weather has something to do with that also.

Don’t think you’re ‘doing the right thing’ by informing neighbors. You just wind up losing business.

I notice you're posting in the UK. Is there a legal requirement there to notify surrounding property owners?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piloter