DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now illegal to fly drones with a camera without a licence in Thailand.

kor kret island its a Mon island the Mons were prolific in central thailand in 6th to tenth century, the river took a curve the goverment decided instead of going round the curve in the river they would cut through the land. it left some land and as the river was widened and widened it became isolated. The Mon clans claimed it and settled their and now it is a little piece of history with the Mons still doing pottery by hand as well as desserts made from rel gold and food to die for.

CAAT uploaded some new forms on 4th of July. They look much better than anything previously uploaded there. (Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) Archives - The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) | สำนักงานการบินพลเรือนแห่งประเทศไทย)
But there are still no clear instructions how to register (like where to send them, and some unclear blank boxes on the forms).

I went to the Thai consulate in Frankfurt today and asked them about the new drone laws. They told me, drones are totally forbidden in Thailand for private use, only commercial use is allowed. Then I asked, if it is allowed to take my drone with me through the customs. She said, she doesn’t perfectly know, but she tended to say, it is forbidden too.

What do you think?

Hardly battered an eyelid 10 days ago when I brought mine through Phuket airport. They asked "What's those?" I said "Batteries for the drone." "Oh, go on."
You can bet it will be changing soon, as word, directives, pictures, documentations and officials get the word. Like in so many places now. The idea seems to be... if you dont know what something is, or is used for, or could be a threat to what you may want to do? Ban it!
Oh, unless its big business and lots of rich people will be making more money out of it. Then you can get a certificate for it and its ok. Well that's just business, isnt it?

CAAT uploaded some new forms on 4th of July. They look much better than anything previously uploaded there. (Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) Archives - The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) | สำนักงานการบินพลเรือนแห่งประเทศไทย)
But there are still no clear instructions how to register (like where to send them, and some unclear blank boxes on the forms).

I went to the Thai consulate in Frankfurt today and asked them about the new drone laws. They told me, drones are totally forbidden in Thailand for private use, only commercial use is allowed. Then I asked, if it is allowed to take my drone with me through the customs. She said, she doesn’t perfectly know, but she tended to say, it is forbidden too.

What do you think?

I think, they don't really know what a drone is. Maybe thinking about a military drone.
If you check Youtube you see a ton of drone movies from Thailand.
I live here in Bangkok and there are many shops where they sell Mavic, Phantom and other Drones. There is even a new DJI shop in the shopping mall SIAM Discovery.

So, just bring your drone and don't ask much questions ;-)

Reactions: MaxD and Woodhouse
I just went Krabi last week and now almost all the island at Andaman Sea has signs saying no drones and DNP(Department National Park) military personnel patrolling the island . Kinda disappointed that I unable to fly my drone there. Islands that you unable to fly in tub island, poda island, chicken island and phra nang cave beach. Totally disappointing. Try to book a private boat instead of normal tour. You can ask the boat captain to stop the boat and fly from your boat.

Reactions: rickyjune
Bugger I plan to go to Phuket and stay there in about 4 weeks time I hope they don't introduce bans there will ruin my holiday.
Anyone been to Phuket recently and noticed any difference.

Bugger I plan to go to Phuket and stay there in about 4 weeks time I hope they don't introduce bans there will ruin my holiday.
Anyone been to Phuket recently and noticed any difference.[/QUOTE only when you go island hopping such as Phi Phi Island, tub Island, poda island, chicken island and phra nang cave island you unable to fly. My colleague told me he was at Phuket Airport bring a drone for his friend and he was told by the immigration officer not to fly around with that drone. So my advise now flying drone in thailand beautiful island is banned. Trust me bro. I'm really utterly disappointed.

I'm flying to Phuket tomorrow and staying for NYE countdown to 2018. I still haven't decided whether or not to bring my MP. But I'm guessing security will be out in full force for the festive period. Might be challenging trying to fly discretely. Still deciding..........

I'm flying to Phuket tomorrow and staying for NYE countdown to 2018. I still haven't decided whether or not to bring my MP. But I'm guessing security will be out in full force for the festive period. Might be challenging trying to fly discretely. Still deciding..........
In my opinion you shouldn't hesitate to bring it with you to Phuket. If the situation is really strict there around nye, you can still decide not to fly. But honestly, I don't think so. And you would miss a big opportunity to make stunning shots. :D

If I were you, I wouldn't bring my drone anymore to Phuket or anywhere in Thailand. It just irritates me to see No Drones Sign everywhere. It's like totally restricted to bring a drone.

Last edited:
Been in Phuket a few days now with my Mavic flown everywhere not a problem with the airport or flying in public although i tend to keep out of the way. What they are most concerned about are the batteries until I explain what they are and then they're fine at the airport. never had an issue here.

Never seen a sign in Phuket anywhere about not flying drones the only place that they are sensitive about is the military radio station on top of the hill you can even do that quietly. The southern part of the beach near the morning open air fish market is awesome for footage there are big liners that come in also a good opportunity. going to do waterfalls tomorrow. I hire tuk tuks or motorbikes for a few dollars only.

Never seen a sign in Phuket anywhere about not flying drones the only place that they are sensitive about is the military radio station on top of the hill you can even do that quietly. The southern part of the beach near the morning open air fish market is awesome for footage there are big liners that come in also a good opportunity. going to do waterfalls tomorrow. I hire tuk tuks or motorbikes for a few dollars only.
hai bos.
can I fly my mavic air at phuket

I was going to start the process but then I message DJI s rep in Junction shopping centre. he told me it wasn't a simple it was made out it takes 6 months to get a license to permission Insurance and the whole process is bogged down
So I fly away from people everyday and there's never a problem

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS