DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now illegal to fly drones with a camera without a licence in Thailand.

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
It is now illegal to fly drones with a camera without a licence in Thailand.
This has been discussed before here.
Can I transport my Mavic in Thailand?

This year the law has changed. You have to get a licence two months prior to using a drone with camera.
Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) Regulation - The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) | สำนักงานการบินพลเรือนแห่งประเทศไทย

Drone regulations in Thailand - Drone Traveller

A shame since I arrived with some excitement. But I cannot use my MP.
I did however, come across this footage, I dont know the person or if they had a licence or not.

I am sure some obey the rules to the letter.
I am sure also there are those that take care where they use their drones.
Take care.
John

Reactions: Hotelone
this is not a new law it has been in place for a while it is just the paperwork has never been drawn up for it. I have no problems with flying my drone there from anyone if i am asked to not fly i do not and generally i ask permission which many places are happy to give.

i have many videos from THIS year (i have been there 8 times so far).

i was flying there recently and no one is at this moment enforcing anything and if they do it will be with an on the spot in my pocket fine pleae. when you talk about obeying the law you must not know Thailand very well as even the law does not obey the law in Thailand. In fact they break every law consistently every hour they can.

the rules out there are the same anywhere fly nicely fly discreetly do not piss anyone off and stop if you are asked too.

what i would be aware of is the customs issue if stopped at airport but as of yet my drone has gone back and forth 8 times in full view of ervryone in security and no issues yet.

That may change but i am flying out again tonight so we will see if there is any ffect but i think you will find not many have drone hysteria in thailand and at worst you may end up paying a few baht out if they decide to actually enforce it.

also edited to say that website is so far incomplete and this has been this way for over one year now. The rest of the website is not even completed yet.

as said customs will be your only problem if they want to be funny about this that is why i have a drone over their as well. for everyone else you do take the risk but i did 8 times so far and no problems in fact last time the army security came out on the beach to fly with me :)

Last edited:
thanks for your reply. You are correct. But the new law is dated
20 February 2017
I have only been in Thailand 15 times or so, so I must accept your experience. Much of what I said was toung in cheek. So am sorry for not.being more clear. Smoothing things over is sometimes as you know called forgivness money. The Thai people, I feel are more reaxed and forgiving, as you said if you show calmness and respect. Again its not a problem, just be a little aware and carefull. Customs were fine with my MP.

thanks for your reply. You are correct. But the new law is dated
20 February 2017
I have only been in Thailand 15 times or so, so I must accept your experience. Much of what I said was toung in cheek. So am sorry for not.being more clear. Smoothing things over is sometimes as you know called forgivness money. The Thai people, I feel are more reaxed and forgiving, as you said if you show calmness and respect. Again its not a problem, just be a little aware and carefull. Customs were fine with my MP.
yes that was the date the law officially was drawn up but actually has never been implemented which is why even since feb there is no finished site.

Thailand is my second home so i am there a fair amount i also own a travel company there so that is why i am there a fair amount the last ten years.

i will admit to buying a second mavic just in case this happened and their were future customs problems i could avoid them

Thailand is still a fantastic place to fly especially in the national parks and beaches where distance flights out to small islands are the best fun i ever had with a mavic lol

I am in Patong, can you recommend any particular spots around here? I have read a lot about Pi Pi island being a problem. Have you found this so?
I am still very much a newbee. I have created some nice vids but that is testament to the Mavic, not me. The Big Buddha is a must but I think you would have to find the local police boss or monk to smooth the way. So much to learn. I know, strictly speaking you are not supposed to take images of the Buddha out of Thailand although so many do.

ha ha i had a monk buying a P4P two months ago in the DJI shop when i asked why he said he wanted to video all the wats

ok temples the lesser known ones will sometimes give you permission to fly especially after a donation

Koh samed no wories

most islands are fine but i have never doe pi pi hate the place

Reactions: 28mm
Funny as hell about the monk. Arrest that man :)

Great vids Gary. How did you get them so crisp? Did you use filters? And why only 25 fps?
If anyone can answer me, how to I post to all pilot groups asking for good spots to take footage with their DJI drones in the Patong or even Phuket are? Sorry for so many questions.

Patong i dont know too well not like patpong 555

Funny as **** about the monk. Arrest that man :)

Great vids Gary. How did you get them so crisp? Did you use filters? And why only 25 fps?
If anyone can answer me, how to I post to all pilot groups asking for good spots to take footage with their DJI drones in the Patong or even Phuket are? Sorry for so many questions.
Questions are fine but i am now about to leave london on my flight to Thailand for a few days as launching new website this wekend i hope will hit Bkk and message you

25fps is more cinematic 30 more documentary style

Sharpness is settings i set the sharpness at plus one in camera settings at stock tbe noise filters cut in no i did not use any filters or editing except music and trimming sll that was only at 1080 not 4k

I dont own any editing stuff

Hi Gary and John. I live in Bangkok and own since March the Mavic Pro. In April and May I was in Germany where I flew my Mavic almost everyday. Here in Bangkok it is not so easy to find the right places. Anyway, if anyone of you has some spare time to stop over in Bangkok, I would be happy to meet and talk about the Mavic experience.

Hi Gary and John. I live in Bangkok and own since March the Mavic Pro. In April and May I was in Germany where I flew my Mavic almost everyday. Here in Bangkok it is not so easy to find the right places. Anyway, if anyone of you has some spare time to stop over in Bangkok, I would be happy to meet and talk about the Mavic experience.
i am flying into bkk tonight but only a 5 day visit checking on my staff there till monday but i am back in august then sept/oct then dec/jan so can message me anytime

oh and loads of places just hunt for the cross the river and fly from a small side road that is opposite asiatique fir river views asiatique waterfront bridges and boats.

go to a very unknown place 20km outside city center only Thais really go there but i dont know why as its an awesome historical island ha ha ha maybe i better keep it secret i will let you see if you can find it and research it :) you can disappear in the middle of that place or fly from the banks opposite i have even flown from the car park at Asiatique from the police barrier ha ha that is where that video came from

it all helps i guess havung Thai family and a young pretty Thai wife to carry my mavic and a car with BKK plates helps a lot too.

sometimes guys you just have to launch it and do it safely discreetly and dont piss anyone off they will not only shoot the drone but maybe you too.(joking keep 500 baht in your pocket) alongside your non thai driving licenmce and your pretty thai wife :)

there is a ton of land in BKk in all the side streets and sois walk down them find an empty one and launch

keep it safe as you know BKK is a 24 hour city of madness

next stop for me is flying over soi cowboy and i think i know wh
ere i can do it from he he he

get out hunting those places they are there really but you gotta look for them, every small soi is a launching pad just watch those wires on take off.

i am not carrying the drone over or picking up my one over there this visit just taking a DSLR for some website shots. if anyone wants a beer for an hour on saturday but i only have an hour i will be at the Montien

i will check in here when i am over there PM me if anyone wants a beer at the Montien for an hour saturday

Gary and Helmut. I dont plan to go to Bangkok soon. But hope to get to Patong again in three months or so. KL is just boring as. So I may well go to Bangkok in transit. Will message you soon prior to departure from Perth.

Reactions: Gary cato
oh and loads of places just hunt for the cross the river and fly from a small side road that is opposite asiatique fir river views asiatique waterfront bridges and boats.

go to a very unknown place 20km outside city center only Thais really go there ....
-----------------------------------------
Gary cato,
I think it is called Bang Krachao Island. It is almost in the middle of Bangkok, inside the big loop of the Chao Phraya River.
I plan to go there next week.

There is another big open area in the middle of Bangkok: Called "royal horse racing track". It is also a golf club during weekdays. That is near where I live. Don't have a car.

But flying over Soi Cowboy I would be too scared ;-)

I'm going to BKK in September for a week on my way to NZ, i was in BKK in Feb this year too, everywhere was hectic, i can't remember seeing anywhere i could launch my mavic from, except maybe Lumphini park, although i know that's definitely not allowed! I may have to meet up with one of you guys when i'm there. I arrive on 28th September, i just hope the monsoon season id dying down by then! I'm also having 2 nights in Hua Hin whilst i'm there.

In Thailand you can buy yourself from any circumstance so fly your drone and pay the police if the cache you

I'm going to BKK in September for a week on my way to NZ, i was in BKK in Feb this year too, everywhere was hectic, i can't remember seeing anywhere i could launch my mavic from, except maybe Lumphini park, although i know that's definitely not allowed! I may have to meet up with one of you guys when i'm there. I arrive on 28th September, i just hope the monsoon season id dying down by then! I'm also having 2 nights in Hua Hin whilst i'm there.
Monsoon ends October but sept is ok mostly rains at night BKK HAS SO MANY PLACES IF YOU BRAVE LOL but u gotta walk and find them LUMPINI i flew three days in a row its not banned they just ask u not too but ahain there are places there where you are out of the way discreet disturb no one and dont get anyone bother u as in my video

I've had no problems here in Patong on the beach not the main part but where there few people but always people interested want to be on the camera. Both Thais and holiday makers. Main question is, where can I get one like that?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78