DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Now's a good time to buy a drone, I guess

cameraz

Reactions
According to DroneDJ, "The US House of Representatives has approved a bill to ban the operation of new drones from Chinese manufacturer DJI in the United States." The bill still requires approval of the Senate.

Seems like this would be a good time to buy a new drone, as apparently any DJI drone you own before the bill is passed will still be able to be flown. The story says the proposed ban would not affect DJI drones already in use within the country.

I've been holding off on buying a Mini Pro 4, but I may bite the bullet. 😬

Seems like this would be a good time to buy a new drone, as apparently any DJI drone you own before the bill is passed will still be able to be flown. The story says the proposed ban would not affect DJI drones already in use within the country.

That makes no sense whatsoever like saying its OK for China to spy on you if they are only using drones sold before X date but not after.

• Haha
Reactions: Max Headroom
That makes no sense whatsoever like saying its OK for China to spy on you if they are only using drones sold before X date but not after.
Two different approaches. First you establish the fact (which they haven't yet done so, to the public's satisfaction) but honestly, I guess they don't have to because they are "government" and they make the rules.

Then second, where do you draw the line. You can do nothing or you can ground *everything* forever in the future and in the past. Or you can figure out what you can get away with somewhere in between and at this point, I don't think the legislation has decided on where to draw the line but nothing would surprise me.

Don't read too much into the article, the decision won't be made based on when a drone was sold but it *will* likely be made on when a drone is made (which could be loosely translated as fcc approval date). Remember, we recently had an RID mandate and it has similar (not exact) time constraints which were mitigated with a solution (external module) for grandfathering. The opposite is true here, drones "made" after a certain date much be....made in the USA, maybe?

Then second, where do you draw the line

In my opinion there is no line to draw if your government are going to ban sales of all Chinese drones because in their view they are being used to spy on you what are they gaining by banning new ones and allowing millions of old ones to carry on spying on you.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kruchov