DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Nuanced Part 107 question(s)?

The questions are supposedly randomly generated, but as of late, there does seem to be a consensus among those who have taken the test, that there are areas of 107 that appear more often than others. And the comment about taking your time on the test? Absolutely correct. Two hours for that test is certainly more than enough for those who have put in the time to study. I finished the test in 28 minutes according to the proctor.

Both look correct. I took the test yesterday and got a 92%. Studied hard for 2 weeks. Surprisingly, there were very few weather questions and lots on ADM and SRM. Good Luck!

I'm not familiar with the acronyms ADM and SRM. I did see ADM on the practice test. What do they stand for.

I'll second Rupprecht's practice test. I did my first practice test a month ago and got 50%. Then, I studied using the free resources on his site, and got my second practice test up to 73%. Today, I took the exam and passed with 88%.

Congratulations to you both! I hope to be right behind you. I've been doing "soft studying" for a little more than a month and now it's time to dig deeper. I have a basic handle on things and just have to become more solid in my knowledge.

Thanks for the advice on the practice test at Jon Ruprecht's site. I'll definitely check that one out.

Reactions: flysi3000
UPDATE (semi related)

I tried to get a test date in September and there was only ONE nearby slot on Sept 24th. By the time I pushed the "schedule" button it was gone. HOWEVER, I AM scheduled for October 1st in the early afternoon. Paid and confirmed! The good news is that the testing facility is downtown and only cost $96, plus about $20 to park.

Much as I hate going downtown (Chicago) it's the same amount of travel as going out to the super-boonies and paying an additional testing fee. My timetable has lengthened by two weeks, but I think I'm more comfortable knowing that I have almost 5 more weeks to prepare, though I might squeek through today if tested.

Any additional/continued help is definitely appreciated.

UPDATE (semi related)

I tried to get a test date in September and there was only ONE nearby slot on Sept 24th. By the time I pushed the "schedule" button it was gone. HOWEVER, I AM scheduled for October 1st in the early afternoon. Paid and confirmed! The good news is that the testing facility is downtown and only cost $96, plus about $20 to park.

Much as I hate going downtown (Chicago) it's the same amount of travel as going out to the super-boonies and paying an additional testing fee. My timetable has lengthened by two weeks, but I think I'm more comfortable knowing that I have almost 5 more weeks to prepare, though I might squeek through today if tested.

Any additional/continued help is definitely appreciated.
Somebody alluded to this in an earlier post but what surprised me the most was that the test booklet that all the sectional questions reference actually has a sectional legend at the beginning (or end? I can’t remember) of it. It almost felt like cheating, it’s not, but if there’s any sectional questions you aren’t sure about you can reference this legend during the test.

Nobody told me about this, the proctor didn’t point it out I just had so much extra time I started flipping though the pages to see if there was anything I find to help with the ones I wasn’t sure of and low and behold I find it. I’m sure most people never look for this and never find it.

Somebody alluded to this in an earlier post but what surprised me the most was that the test booklet that all the sectional questions reference actually has a sectional legend at the beginning (or end? I can’t remember) of it. It almost felt like cheating, it’s not, but if there’s any sectional questions you aren’t sure about you can reference this legend during the test.

Nobody told me about this, the proctor didn’t point it out I just had so much extra time I started flipping though the pages to see if there was anything I find to help with the ones I wasn’t sure of and low and behold I find it. I’m sure most people never look for this and never find it.

Thanks. Bit by bit I'm able to identify objects on the map by memory. TheDroneRanger gave me the biggest tip that I was having problems with; height is measured in feet in parentheses and altitude in MSL.

An interesting tidbit, Executive order 12000770 citing the the 1975 law directed all branches and departments of government to take all appropriate measures to convert to the metric system for all measures of weight and commerce. And yet, here are, still using feet, miles per hour, gallons and fahrenheit 45 years later. I know that non-US pilots use the imperial system for aviation when flying in the US. Do US pilots use metric when flying in Europe and Asia?

Thanks. Bit by bit I'm able to identify objects on the map by memory. TheDroneRanger gave me the biggest tip that I was having problems with; height is measured in feet in parentheses and altitude in MSL.

An interesting tidbit, Executive order 12000770 citing the the 1975 law directed all branches and departments of government to take all appropriate measures to convert to the metric system for all measures of weight and commerce. And yet, here are, still using feet, miles per hour, gallons and fahrenheit 45 years later. I know that non-US pilots use the imperial system for aviation when flying in the US. Do US pilots use metric when flying in Europe and Asia?
I think they all actually use feet, knots, and NM just like us. I believe it’s due to historically having most planes coming from the US and the FAA being the de facto international aviation authority (not officially but in practice)

I believe it’s due to historically having most planes coming from the US and the FAA being the de facto international aviation authority (not officially but in practice)

The FAA is not even unofficially the de facto international aviation authority - that’s the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). Many countries use a hybrid system of height in feet, distance in nautical miles, speed in knots and pressure in hectopascals. Very few use exactly the same system as the US.

The FAA is not even unofficially the de facto international aviation authority - that’s the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
I just meant is that other aviation authorities closely follow what the FAA does, also, the amount of international air travel to and from the US is so much greater than other places.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Remember that the .55 lbs refers to when you need to register your drone under the exception for recreational operations and not part 107. The correct answer is less than but not including 55 lbs for part 107
It’s not .55 lbs it’s 55# you included a decimal, I’m sure you did not mean that. But you missed the point anyway.
I understand perfectly the >55# & <250g
I was making statement about mixing grams and pounds. Why not stay with one or the other standard instead?
That is my question.
>24.948kg & <250g
>55# & <8.18oz

Quite true, it almost feels like it. Many folks try so hard to memorize and rely solely upon the memory when it comes to a test. That’s a good this, we need to exercise our brain. But as you and I and many others already know. The legend for the Sectional Chart is right there. Another needed on the test is the Chart Supplement. Again, many will freeze on those question and forget to simply look in the book. To me, it seems as if one could study the FAA-G-8082-22,
Remote Pilot – Small
Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide, then, I’m only guessing, about 90% of the test questions could be easily found. Too many persons want to take this or that course whereas everything needed for study is right there in the FAA.GOV arena. (Free). I missed 6 on my initial in 2018, and only 2 on the recurrent in June 2020. I used only the FAA www both times. So, I simply say the answers are there if one simply looks through the FAA guide. It’s easy enough to peruse the FAA area and glean data necessary for study. And the best thing is, it’s free!

It’s not .55 lbs it’s 55# you included a decimal, I’m sure you did not mean that. But you missed the point anyway.
I understand perfectly the >55# & <250g
I was making statement about mixing grams and pounds. Why not stay with one or the other standard instead?
That is my question.
>24.948kg & <250g
>55# & <8.18oz
It’s .55 lbs which is about 250 grams. They only use one system
9F629CF4-D11D-4934-8FDC-D7D37F78B979.jpeg

It’s .55 lbs which is about 250 grams. They only use one system
View attachment 112270
Good on you, good find. I stand corrected. Bad enough that on the exams we use nautical, standard, and metric measurements. But my whole point is that on exams they (FAA) use both. As long as the US is still not on metric system, I simply believe metric should not be used. That’s it, nothing more, nothing less!

Good on you, good find. I stand corrected. Bad enough that on the exams we use nautical, standard, and metric measurements. But my whole point is that on exams they (FAA) use both. As long as the US is still not on metric system, I simply believe metric should not be used. That’s it, nothing more, nothing less!
When do they use metric?

Can not recall the exact wording but something along the lines of: when does a UAS not require registration.
All aircraft flying under part 107 require registration. There is no minimum weight. Aircraft 55 lbs and over cannot fly under part 107. If there was an answer on the test that refers to .55 lbs, 250 grams, 8 ounces, whatever... that was an incorrect answer.

Last edited:
All aircraft flying under part 107 require registration. There is no minimum weight. Aircraft 55 lbs and over cannot fly under part 107. If there was an answer on the test that refers to .55 lbs, 250 grams, 8 ounces, whatever... that was an incorrect answer.
No, sorry. You did not follow what I stated at first.
Have a nice day.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmgde