DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Avoidance Fail

FlightSkool

Reactions
My first post! I'm fairly new to flying the Mavic Pro, and I do love it, but...I decided to hike in the woods with the Mavic, mostly to get a feel of the controls, and I was using obstacle avoidance of course, and it worked perfectly. Towards the end I switched to active track and had the drone follow me after completing the setup. I got the box/go signal telling me I'm all set. As expected the drone followed me for a few moments, I turned around and checked it from time to time, then I turned around just in time to see it head for a tree, and crashed right into it. Ok, what did I do wrong?! I checked the flight log, and the drone "lost subject" and was searching, I guess it thought the tree was me? The flight log also showed elevation was 3.3 feet, which wasn't correct considering I'm almost 6 feet tall, and it was flying above me. Before the flight, I calibrated the compass which a always do. This behavior is surprising and somewhat disturbing. Any ideas? Suggestions?

I checked the flight log, and the drone "lost subject" and was searching, I guess it thought the tree was me?
That means the Mavic was searching for the previously selected target (you in this case). Try wearing something bright that cannot be mistaken for the surroundings. Flying near obstacles can always be sketchy when using the automated flight modes, so always be ready to take over if needed.

The flight log also showed elevation was 3.3 feet, which wasn't correct considering I'm almost 6 feet tall, and it was flying above me.
At which point in your flight?

That means the Mavic was searching for the previously selected target (you in this case). Try wearing something bright that cannot be mistaken for the surroundings. Flying near obstacles can always be sketchy when using the automated flight modes, so always be ready to take over if needed.

At which point in your flight?
Thanks for the quick reply. I did have dull colors on (gray/black), and it was a cloudy day, but bright. The altitude of 3.3 feet was for the duration of the flight, until of course the drone dropped to the ground after hitting the tree.

The altitude of 3.3 feet was for the duration of the flight
The current altitude displayed in DJI GO is always the altitude above the takeoff point (not the altitude above the ground at the Mavic's current location).

Very much like the video, thankfully not as high. The only thing is, he took a turn, and the drone lost sight of him, THAT I can understand. My situation on the other hand was the drone at about 7 feet up and maybe 10-15 feet behind, and it followed for a few moments, and literally took a left turn and headed for the tree. Since there was only blade damage, it's kind of funny.

Upload it to YouTube.com and post a link back here.

Looking at the video over and over, it seems to get “stupid” when the dog enters the shot. I wonder if the dog was enough to confuse it. Hmmmm...

These kind of intelligent modes are impressive, but far from infallible. I would recommend never relying on them in obstacle-infested environments unless you are willing to accept a significantly increased risk of collision.

This, million times over. We're not living in sci-fi future yet where robots are perfect. Today, drones are still like blind kittens on shaky legs pooping everywhere.

Reactions: sar104
Looking at the video over and over, it seems to get “stupid” when the dog enters the shot. I wonder if the dog was enough to confuse it. Hmmmm...

When I experimented with active track, it was possible for one friend "substitute" the other and it continued tracking another person (in different clothes!) Not sure about the dog, though.

Object recognition is simply a set of mathematical calculations, it doesn't have any intelligence. Very easy to fool.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not complaining at all. I totally get that computers AND software are not infallible. Just put it out there for others to see different scenarios where there can be shortcomings. The one thing I’m wondering is if there is some “disruption” of the subject is there a way to write code that would just let the drone hover? Because it actually looks as though it sped up going into the tree.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
As for substituting another person, I’m guessing that the drone is looking more at shape rather than specific recognizable features. I’ve had it track my dog (I don’t recommend that if your dog likes to run through the woods). When I step into the shot, it seems to ignore me, or once it got confused (hovered backwards and forwards a short distance) momentarily and then picked up the dog again when I was out of the shot.

I think the same thing.

But also, I would never use active track in a congested environment like that one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78