DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic 2 Range Leaderboard

That distance is exactly where mavic pro cut out. I think that is really the limit on this one. Really sucks, but it is what it is.
Never give up!! Anything that runs software can be hacked! We need to double our efforts and poke the software experts amoung us (or bribe them) to figure this out. I wish I could help more but it’s not my specialty.

Reactions: SkyNinja
Never give up!! Anything that runs software can be hacked! We need to double our efforts and poke the software experts amoung us (or bribe them) to figure this out. I wish I could help more but it’s not my specialty.

If the issue is in the software of the RC, which I believe most people think it is. We probably should get in contact with @jan2600. I believe he's the creator of Silent My RC Software.

If the issue is in the software of the RC, which I believe most people think it is. We probably should get in contact with @jan2600. I believe he's the creator of Silent My RC Software.
In the mean time, anyone have a creative way to fake out the bird that it’s almost at the limit so we can easily do repetitive tests?

In the mean time, anyone have a creative way to fake out the bird that it’s almost at the limit so we can easily do repetitive tests?

I don't, but what info are you trying to gather? I think with this bird and decent weather we can fly to the limit at will.

The faking doesn't work. It is really the physical distance between the RC and Drone that matters. We have already tried all the location faking and it has no effect. If you move toward the drone 500ft before the limit, the drone will fly 500 extra feet. It's basically why there were differences between the limit runs, depending on where you were located at the time the limit was hit. Mavic incorporates some distance calculation into the signal and really knows how far apart the Controller and Drone are just with the signal itself and no GPS information on controller side. Very interesting on how they could do that but it's been shown through use of non-GPS device and fake GPS location tool that they have no effect. Mavic always disconnects once it's 58,800ft from the Controller. There must be a variable exceeds it's value range causing the program that controls communication to reset.

I still think it could be a time based limitation of the occusync protocol. There's no way for the RC and AC to know how far apart they are.
I flew to the limit with no device attached to the RC at all and it still disconnected at the same distance.

The faking doesn't work. It is really the physical distance between the RC and Drone that matters. We have already tried all the location faking and it has no effect. If you move toward the drone 500ft before the limit, the drone will fly 500 extra feet. It's basically why there were differences between the limit runs, depending on where you were located at the time the limit was hit. Mavic incorporates some distance calculation into the signal and really knows how far apart the Controller and Drone are just with the signal itself and no GPS information on controller side. Very interesting on how they could do that but it's been shown through use of non-GPS device and fake GPS location tool that they have no effect. Mavic always disconnects once it's 58,800ft from the Controller. There must be a variable exceeds it's value range causing the program that controls communication to reset.

It's pretty easy to implement a time difference measurement in the signal which measures the signal travel time to and from the drone. This directly correlates to a (max) distance. There is no way to modify the signal velocity, but this lag still needs to be processed and flip a bit at some value, which theoretically could be removed/spoofed with a software hack.

Why would DJI put this limit in though. I can understand if they for example put 500m altitude and 5000m range limit. But close to 18km makes not much sense from a safety perspective.

Maybe its not a feature, but a bug, but DJI will have pretty much zero intensive to fix it.

What about Litchi way-point missions? I thought it was possible to have it fly a mission without being connected to the remote. This should allow it to pass the limit.

It's pretty easy to implement a time difference measurement in the signal which measures the signal travel time to and from the drone. This directly correlates to a (max) distance. There is no way to modify the signal velocity, but this lag still needs to be processed and flip a bit at some value, which theoretically could be removed/spoofed with a software hack.

Why would DJI put this limit in though. I can understand if they for example put 500m altitude and 5000m range limit. But close to 18km makes not much sense from a safety perspective.

Maybe its not a feature, but a bug, but DJI will have pretty much zero intensive to fix it.

What about Litchi way-point missions? I thought it was possible to have it fly a mission without being connected to the remote. This should allow it to pass the limit.
Ahhh litchi... forgot all about that. Good idea! It will put to bed if this is an RC or AC issue for sure (I think).

Laurens23, you explain the time thing well, I didn’t understand what Lolo meant by time. We talked about using the Litchi before and I looked at doing it. The problem with Litchi is you can only space the way points so far apart. I believe when I looked into it the best option would be to use the Autopilot app. I’m pretty sure there’s no restrictions on how far you can space the way points, but I will doublecheck and let you guys now.

Guys, I'm concerned that @SkyNinja's drone did not initiate RTH after the limit run disconnect. There is no reason that it should hover in place or land unless DJI Go was configured for that option or landing was selected and slide to confirm was done. To me, it sounds like the limit behavior may be different that Mavic 1, with Mavic 2 potentially disconnecting and hovering or landing at it’s position. This is very dangerous of course, especially for those who fly over water or other place that recovery is difficult. I would only attempt limit run if you have a location where the drone can be recovered. I will not make another limit run until the behavior is confirmed.

I should add, even if you cancel RTH, the drone will again initiate RTH if connection is lost. It should not sit in place unless you have a controller connection or you’ve configured it to hover in place in the go app.

I guess I was lucky I wasn't doing this flight over the bay and that It landed in a tree between a bunch of million dollar homes at night.

I'll try to map out a good possible landing area at the limit so I can give it another shot.

IMG_3353.JPG

Hi there after that distance I get scared and go back. Maybe next time I will tray more.

I am submitting this STOCK CLASS flight for consideration to be placed on the leader board.
https://app.airdata.com/share/JaNXND

Really wish my Ipad would have saved the screen record! Anyone have issues with IOS devices not saving a screen record? It's nowhere to be found but seemed to be recording.
Great flight dustindunnill!

I updated the leader board but please note that the URL links are broken for the leader listings (airdata/video/post/etc).

The moderators of this site upgraded the system software and I have yet been able to figure out how to repair the broken links but I am sure I will figure it out soon.

Copy @dirkclod as an FYI.

Not Moderators but Admin and still learning this new layout and passed it up bb.
Sure it will take some tweaking but it will get worked out . 0ROJYyg.png

Great flight dustindunnill!

I updated the leader board but please note that the URL links are broken for the leader listings (airdata/video/post/etc).

The moderators of this site upgraded the system software and I have yet been able to figure out how to repair the broken links but I am sure I will figure it out soon.

Copy @dirkclod as an FYI.
Thanks! Did a redo today and got over 32k since I needed the iPad recording for my YouTube vid. I'll share it later and I guess it will overwrite this one

Reactions: lolo780
Here's the latest flight and the ipad decided to to save the screen record this time. YouTube vid of flight also linked below:

I am submitting this STOCK CLASS flight for consideration to be placed on the leader board.
YouTube video of the flight

Thanks

Here's the latest flight and the ipad decided to to save the screen record this time. YouTube vid of flight also linked below:

YouTube video of the flight

Thanks
Dude, you make great videos. You have the gift of gab that most of us do not!

You captured the entire emotion cycle from happy, to worried, to horrified, and back again.

This is why we do it :cool:

Reactions: DustinDunnill
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78