DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic 2 Range Leaderboard

On the stock list #1 has over charged battery 4.38. I've got 4.36 with car charger but that's high .believe it should be on modified list by rules but I could be wrong just trying to keep it fair @beanbubba @Unknown Caller
I just tested on my stock setup and charger and if you heat the batteries before flight you will see increased voltage. There is no way to police this and since you are not mod'ing anything it is an accepted practice.

Reactions: Joebie
Not trying to cause a problem for anyone just want to use if it was ok (by rules) . But if that's not over charged I don't know what is. Lol
I just tested on my stock setup and charger and if you heat the batteries before flight you will see increased voltage. There is no way to police this and since you are not mod'ing anything it is an accepted practice.
Alright so we can over charge than u should change the rule cause u not getting 4.38 that way I tried . As long as it's cool to be that high on voltage I'm down with it.

The factory battery can not be overcharged past the published voltage capacity. The factory battery must be charged by the factory battery charger. This part should be changed for that flight to count as stock if you are following the rules as they are now . There is no doubt it's over factory published voltage. my last comment on it either way . I'm all for overcharging for every one but if it's against rules than this flight should be in modified class .

Competition events have strict upper voltage limits regardless of battery temperature or charging style.

What I suggest you guys try is charge the battery to 95%, then cool it off to the minimum temperature where it will still charge. Make sure the pack is chilled right through and not just the outer two cells. Top off the last 5% and then immediately heat in a 60c warmer.

Vinyl wrap is allowed in stock class, but do it on the battery only to help retain heat in flight. The M2 battery does not warm up in flight like other DJI aircraft so maintaining cell temperature is really important.

Here's my LiPo heater box - RC Groups

ROAR Racing

Reactions: Joebie and Aumoe
The factory battery can not be overcharged past the published voltage capacity. The factory battery must be charged by the factory battery charger. This part should be changed for that flight to count as stock if you are following the rules as they are now . There is no doubt it's over factory published voltage. my last comment on it either way . I'm all for overcharging for every one but if it's against rules than this flight should be in modified class .
I want to make sure the rules are crystal clear. Apparently there is some ambiguity and I want to address this and find out where the information disconnect is on this topic. So your point is taken loud and clear and I will take some time this weekend and try to address the concearns.

Reactions: Aumoe and Joebie
Competition events have strict upper voltage limits regardless of battery temperature or charging style.

What I suggest you guys try is charge the battery to 95%, then cool it off to the minimum temperature where it will still charge. Make sure the pack is chilled right through and not just the outer two cells. Top off the last 5% and then immediately heat in a 60c warmer.

Vinyl wrap is allowed in stock class, but do it on the battery only to help retain heat in flight. The M2 battery does not warm up in flight like other DJI aircraft so maintaining cell temperature is really important.

Here's my LiPo heater box - RC Groups

ROAR Racing

Here is a nice visual chart on battery performance and temperature.
1543595013136.png

Any objections to this amendment to the rules of engagement?

CURRENT WORDING:

The factory battery can not be overcharged past the published voltage capacity. The factory battery must be charged by the factory battery charger.

PROPOSED WORDING:

The factory battery must be charged by the factory battery charger. The factory battery charger can not be modified to charge past the factory set voltage. The factory battery published maximun voltage of 17.4 will naturally vary depending on tempurature, humidity, altitude, and barometric pressure at the time of charge and again at the time of discharge. Any battery voltage reported in Airdata over 17.5 volts will be evidence of non-natural overcharging and the flight not eligible for consideration in this class.

Reactions: Joebie and SkyNinja
I have not yet completed in the stock class, but I am in favor of the amendment.

The M2 charger cuts off at 17.6v I think.

I think this may have been mentioned in the M1 leaderboard thread, but always have a spare battery to warm the aircraft up with as the IMU needs to heat up and GPS acquire lock. That way you can put your hot battery on, power up and lift off within seconds.

Last edited:

CURRENT WORDING:

The factory battery can not be overcharged past the published voltage capacity. The factory battery must be charged by the factory battery charger.

PROPOSED WORDING:

The factory battery must be charged by the factory battery charger. The factory battery charger can not be modified to charge past the factory set voltage. The factory battery published maximun voltage of 17.4 will naturally vary depending on tempurature, humidity, altitude, and barometric pressure at the time of charge and again at the time of discharge. Any battery voltage reported in Airdata over 17.5 volts will be evidence of non-natural overcharging and the flight not eligible for consideration in this class.
I don't have much skin in the game, but 'aye'.

CURRENT WORDING:

PROPOSED WORDING:

I good with it . just so u know that 1 place is at 17.509 2nd place was at 17.45 all others were below 17.4 in stock class . I have to much time on my hands with the bad weather .

The M2 charger cuts off at 17.6v I think.

I think this may have been mentioned in the M1 leaderboard thread, but always have a spare battery to warm the aircraft up with as the IMU needs to heat up and GPS acquire lock. That way you can put your hot battery on, power up and lift off within seconds.

Yes M2 uses the 4.4v per cell (17.6-4S). But as we all know, by the time you get the battery powered up and it reporting airdata, you will always drop 0.1 volts at a minimum. That was my reason for using 17.5v as the airdata reporting limit.

Thoughts?

1543603365430.png

Reactions: SkyNinja
I good with it . just so u know that 1 place is at 17.509 2nd place was at 17.45 all others were below 17.4 in stock class . I have to much time on my hands with the bad weather .
I just looked at every stock board airdata output. I am not sure why your numbers do not match this?

1543604200969.png

Now that I think about this more, there is no need to change the wording in the rules of engagement because I see no evidence of anything exceeding 17.6 volts.

CURRENT WORDING:

PROPOSED WORDING:

I just looked at every stock board airdata output. I am not sure why your numbers do not match this?

View attachment 54655

Now that I think about this more, there is no need to change the wording in the rules of engagement because I see no evidence of anything exceeding 17.6 volts.
The math on 1st 1 is off

4.388 4.373 4.366 4.382 =17.509
Well, not sure if this is an airdata error or if by the time the combined cell voltages were measured there was a drop from 17.509 to 17.400.

I have always used the 4S voltage number for reporting and compliance issues. Anyone have thoughts on this?

1543605166726.png

Yes M2 uses the 4.4v per cell (17.6-4S). But as we all know, by the time you get the battery powered up and it reporting airdata, you will always drop 0.1 volts at a minimum. That was my reason for using 17.5v as the airdata reporting limit.

Thoughts?

View attachment 54652

Hot startup will help lessen the voltage drop. I will land from a short hop and change out the battery as fast as possible to get every last watt second of power.

For testing I'll fly 10km out and then back, noting battery % and voltage on landing. No battery chilling or pre heating to go easier on the cells. There is far more to gained from flying technique and using the winds to your advantage compared to an extra 0.01v per cell.

I have 175 flights on my M2P now and 1,106,948m, and all my testing shows that you will lose out flying in P mode as it's too slow, especially with the wind. You can still do surprisingly well throttling it in S with the wind and Cinematic mode against, or throttle in P mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lab916