DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic 2 Range Leaderboard

@Aumoe
@mlash
And the rest of you in the 10 mile club, I watched some of your videos I noticed it appeared that most of you were flying with a tail wind at your back assisting you on the way out but pushing in your face on the way home. Is that what the kids are doing these days? Because that never was the old-school theory. I've specifically skipped flying on good days just because the wind wasn't at my back on the way out, mainly because I wanted the shove on the way back. Even noticed a few sport mode flights the entire time.
I've had record flights with a tailwind on the way out. The Mavics rpm readout makes it easy to manage true air speed.

Reactions: dirtybum
It appears that full time sport mode might not be an issue on the M2. Jury is still debating. I personally will only fly out with a cross wind or head wind. Too scary with a return headwind when pushing the limit for me anyway.
A cross wind loses both ways, you'll do better with a headwind going home. The key is to go fast with the wind and slow down into it.

Reactions: Aumoe
@Aumoe
@mlash
And the rest of you in the 10 mile club, I watched some of your videos I noticed it appeared that most of you were flying with a tail wind at your back assisting you on the way out but pushing in your face on the way home. Is that what the kids are doing these days? Because that never was the old-school theory. I've specifically skipped flying on good days just because the wind wasn't at my back on the way out, mainly because I wanted the shove on the way back. Even noticed a few sport mode flights the entire time.

To be perfectly honest the M2 is so easy to fly distance. You can fly to the 58k limit with not to much effort. It took me less than a month to fly 58k Which took me a year with MP1. I guess a lot of that is just have more experience and Not being afraid to try different batteries. The M2 would be the perfect bird if it didn’t have the same Mavic hard limit and we could figure out exactly what causes the auto landing.

I do remember you were the only one that had something positive to say when I was testing PT3600 on the MP1. When everyone else was flaming me, saying high C rated batteries wouldn’t work. Thank for that support

Reactions: Joebie
To be perfectly honest the M2 is so easy to fly distance. You can fly to the 58k limit with not to much effort. It took me less than a month to fly 58k Which took me a year with MP1. I guess a lot of that is just have more experience and Not being afraid to try different batteries. The M2 would be the perfect bird if it didn’t have the same Mavic hard limit and we could figure out exactly what causes the auto landing.

I do remember you were the only one that had something positive to say when I was testing PT3600 on the MP1. When everyone else was flaming me, saying high C rated batteries wouldn’t work. Thank for that support
For whatever reason (that I do not understand technically), I think the higher C ratings units are performing best across the board on the dozen or so batteries I am testing.

Yeah, thats wild! Seems almost unpredictable.
Thank all three of you for your responses.
All the dji models from p1 and up have been different beasts for long distance w/ there own learning curves, seems like the Mav2 is diff from all previous models as would be expected.
NOTE to all: the wind reports for the M2 are still invalid. Tailwind rates are over stated and headwind rates are under stated. Airdata has admitted to this error and says it's their problem and not DJI and that they have an anticipated fix by end of this month. Look for the tag "Mavic2 v2" on the wind related pages (right now it say "Mavic Pro").

EDIT: they said once the algorithm is in place that past flights will be corrected, not just future flights.

Reactions: Joebie
NOTE to all: the wind reports for the M2 are still invalid. Tailwind rates are over stated and headwind rates are under stated. Airdata has admitted to this error and says it's their problem and not DJI.

That is very interesting!
But just to be clear, I didn't come to my opinion or questions to how people are flying from their air data reports, I gathered it from watching the videos and watching their speeds on the way in/out along with their mileage and battery % telemetry's.
The same way I evaluate things while I'm flying, i'm sure the same way you all do while you're flying.

Wow, putting aside all the red tape, rules and regulations I'm really impressed and amazed what these Mav's and their operators can do. Please keep amazing me!Thumbswayup:cool:Thumbswayup

@Aumoe
@mlash

Same here, especially lately because it's cold and I don't want to have to hunt it down if something goes foul. We've had some super still mornings, but it was hunting season not too long ago, so I didn't need an over zealous hunter "baggin' him a good one". LOL

How do you figure a headwind coming home is better??

Pure assumption here, but I feel like it would have to work a lot harder to keep level in a cross wind as opposed to a head wind since it's already nosing down into it.

Reactions: lolo780
I've had record flights with a tailwind on the way out. The Mavics rpm readout makes it easy to manage true air speed.
Lolo, could you give a refresher on the M2 rpm's and the targets you have found the most beneficial?

Lolo, could you give a refresher on the M2 rpm's and the targets you have found the most beneficial?

I too would like to hear about that Lolo.
I know if you start out in sport mode on the M1 you could switch to GPS and still see the rpm readout, I assume by what I saw on a couple videos you can on the M2 as well, but is there any real reason to watch the RPMs when you're in GPS mode??

I too would like to hear about that Lolo.
I know if you start out in sport mode on the M1 you could switch to GPS and still see the rpm readout, I assume by what I saw on a couple videos you can on the M2 as well, but is there any real reason to watch the RPMs when you're in GPS mode??
Starting in sport mode still works to give power % display in P mode.

Ideal RPM varies with air density so baseline hover test your setup and then start with P mode speed (14m/s) in zero wind. Check RPMs again and note the difference.

5700 has worked really well in my flight area but that's with air density 6-7% over standard.

Cinematic mode is 12.5m/s and makes flying into wind really simple as you don't have to throttle back.

Reactions: Joebie and dirtybum
SWEET!!

I am having a problem finding straight roads that long. Very cool.

Thanks. Yeah it’s challenging to find a road long enough and not busy. I couldn’t find a anybody to drive while I flew. So I thought I’d try it by myself which was challenging to say the least not one of the safest ways to travel especially when I get into the landing mode.

Reactions: Aumoe
Thanks. Yeah it’s challenging to find a road long enough and not busy. I couldn’t find a anybody to drive while I flew. So I thought I’d try it by myself which was challenging to say the least not one of the safest ways to travel especially when I get into the landing mode.
lol yeah
I thought about trying it by myself but haven't tried it yet

Looking forward to your airdata link...

One-way flight 119,602ft Winds were out of the SE at 15mph. Didn’t get off to a very good start had to calibrate the compass. I had to keep on pulling off to the side of the road & letting cars pass me Controller in one hand and steering wheel and the other. The last 10% was scariest I ended up landing in the road which wasn’t my intentions Lucky there wasn’t any cars coming. What adrenaline rush though it would be a lot less nerve-racking if you had a driver and you could concentrate on piloting. But it was a fun experiment for sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803