DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

OH lookie another drone at 4,000 ft

Haven't read all the post but does DJI make a drone this big I mean 50x50 cm is bigger then any dji drone I've seen
Huh? 50cm is roughly 20" or 500mm and several are50cm and up.

Matrice 600
Diagonal Wheelbase1133 mm

M100
Diagonal Wheelbase 650 mm

M200
Diagonal Wheelbase25.3 inch (643 mm)

DJI Phantom 4
Diagonal Size (Propellers Excluded)35 cm

right and all us hobbyist got 5000$+ drones

4,000ft AGL is not something that a DJI drone is going to do out of the box. *IF* this was a drone (which I doubt), then it is either one that had been deliberately modified to remove limits or one that has been custom built, both of which would indicate an above average level of interest in flying them, a level of interest that might also be matched with the size of the financial investment.

There are plenty of examples of appprox. 50cm x 50cm handbuilt drones based around a Raspberry Pis, a few support struts, plus a set of propellers, and it only takes *one* suitably dedicated hobbyist to cause an incident - ubiquitous $5000+ drone ownership is not required. Again, I doubt it was a drone, but it's not entirely out of the question that someone has both the means and inclination to place one of this size at 4,000ft on an airport flight path, so we're probably just going to have to accept the Airprox Board's "inconclusive" finding and be glad there wasn't a serious incident.

Expressing frustration at the media for sensationalist click-bait reporting of such ambiguous events without evidence is thoroughly encouraged, of course - have at it!

More Hype.... sells all those adds at the bottom and in the middle of the page.
the report makes one believe that the pilots report is above reproach and he or she could never make a mistake,i’ve come to question many of these reports by pilots to be flawed or embellished so the media can have something else to make people worry abou,whats the old adage if it bleeds it lead

I don't believe any of these reports! Gatwick was a Hoax as we all know. I still feel for that poor couple that were arrested and named on UK Media - disgusting. As far as I am aware there has not been a single shred of physical evidence of drones impacting manned aircraft.
For Drone proximity read "Flying Saucers spotted by someone"!

You know with all the "anti-drone" propaganda happening I would not be surprised if some of not most of this stuff is staged!! Do whatever they can to kill OR control this hobby.

Reactions: Bill combs
right and all us hobbyist got 5000$+ drones

I merely replied to your comment "Haven't read all the post but does DJI make a drone this big I mean 50x50 cm is bigger then any dji drone I've seen " with accurate information. I posted THREE examples of DJI aircraft that are indeed larger than 50cm and then also included the size of the P4 for reference.

Why would you only include HOBBY drones in this conversation? At no point did the pilot say, "I saw a hobbist flying a drone...." Think big picture. It could have been a hobby aircraft, commercial aircraft, even a military UAS... but until something is proven it's merely a UFO.

It's important to think "outside your box" because the world of sUAS is much bigger than just our Mavics, Phantoms etc and DJI isn't the only brand on the market. Also, as I have already pointed DJI does make larger aircraft and other manufacturers make much larger aircraft, Then there is also the Home Built sector that can have some very large units.

Check out the VERY popular Alta 8 Heavy Lifter Octocopter
Unfolded Diameter: 52.16" / 1325 mm (does not include Props) Props are 18" each LOL

Here’s an M600 in my backyard testing a new camera in preparation for a TV commercial shoot the next week:
274d4485fb9903e49064ff47f8579836.jpg

I merely replied to your comment "Haven't read all the post but does DJI make a drone this big I mean 50x50 cm is bigger then any dji drone I've seen " with accurate information. I posted THREE examples of DJI aircraft that are indeed larger than 50cm and then also included the size of the P4 for reference.

Why would you only include HOBBY drones in this conversation? At no point did the pilot say, "I saw a hobbist flying a drone...." Think big picture. It could have been a hobby aircraft, commercial aircraft, even a military UAS... but until something is proven it's merely a UFO.

It's important to think "outside your box" because the world of sUAS is much bigger than just our Mavics, Phantoms etc and DJI isn't the only brand on the market. Also, as I have already pointed DJI does make larger aircraft and other manufacturers make much larger aircraft, Then there is also the Home Built sector that can have some very large units.

Check out the VERY popular Alta 8 Heavy Lifter Octocopter
Unfolded Diameter: 52.16" / 1325 mm (does not include Props) Props are 18" each LOL

Here’s an M600 in my backyard testing a new camera in preparation for a TV commercial shoot the next week:
274d4485fb9903e49064ff47f8579836.jpg
Fair point, but ownership of the larger drones you mention is pretty much restricted to commercial UAS operators who are employing them for particular missions. It is hard to see what good commercial reason they would have for deploying the drone at that height on the flightpath into Luton. There are two very good reasons for their avoiding it at all costs - one the financial costs associated with losing one of these expensive beasts, and two the risk of losing their operating licence and thus their livelihood.

Perhaps it could have been stolen, or another piece of rogue activity by one of the Russian intelligence agencies, or both...

...Where is the Dash Cam Footage.????.....
Alrhough I am not willing to argue what a pilot can and can’t see, you’re onto something important.

Why don’t commercial aircraft have visual recording devices? For very small money they could put three or four wide angle recording cameras on each craft. Information could be wirelessly sent to the black box. This information could be VERY valuable in forensic situations major and minor.

For about 300 dollars I can strap a 360 camera onto a Mavic Pro. DJI sells recording FPV cameras that not only record but transmit for several miles for even less than that. We’re not talking about a significant expense here.

Perhaps DJI will scrap the Aeroscope drone spying project and they can channel their energy into a system that lets the public see just what commercial aircraft see in real time, and, would definitively show whether there was a drone encounter.

Peter T

Alrhough I am not willing to argue what a pilot can and can’t see, you’re onto something important.

Why don’t commercial aircraft have visual recording devices? For very small money they could put three or four wide angle recording cameras on each craft. Information could be wirelessly sent to the black box. This information could be VERY valuable in forensic situations major and minor.

For about 300 dollars I can strap a 360 camera onto a Mavic Pro. DJI sells recording FPV cameras that not only record but transmit for several miles for even less than that. We’re not talking about a significant expense here.

Perhaps DJI will scrap the Aeroscope drone spying project and they can channel their energy into a system that lets the public see just what commercial aircraft see in real time, and, would definitively show whether there was a drone encounter.

Peter T
I think you need to start with making flight data recorders mandatory for helicopters, before you can add visual data recording.

No forensic evidence...no video... didn't happen...
Sheesh... even cars have dash cams now... Biz-Jets don't?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61